Possibly dumb question, but Lightroom and CS3

MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
edited July 29, 2007 in Finishing School
What is the difference? :dunno I have CS3 and love the new Bridge for my workflow. I'm currently reprocessing some RAW files and the new CS3 with Bridge is making a difference when I compare the older versions to the new versions. I have heard rave comments about Lightroom so I downloaded the free trial. Well, unless I am missing something, I haven't as of yet found really anything that is so drastically different from CS3 that would justify the price tag for Lightroom. I've read the Adobe info on the differences between the two, but really with the improvements to Bridge in CS3, I can't see the BIG difference. At times, I can be denser than a black hole so please enlighten me. :D Thanks in advance.

Comments

• BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    Maestro wrote:
    What is the difference? ne_nau.gif I have CS3 and love the new Bridge for my workflow. I'm currently reprocessing some RAW files and the new CS3 with Bridge is making a difference when I compare the older versions to the new versions. I have heard rave comments about Lightroom so I downloaded the free trial. Well, unless I am missing something, I haven't as of yet found really anything that is so drastically different from CS3 that would justify the price tag for Lightroom. I've read the Adobe info on the differences between the two, but really with the improvements to Bridge in CS3, I can't see the BIG difference. At times, I can be denser than a black hole so please enlighten me. :D Thanks in advance.

I think LR may be found to be more productive by some users for large amounts of images, either in the library database (I think this differs from ACR) or perhaps when batch processing. They share the same image processing commands and the files are exchangeable between LR1.2 and ACR4.1 with all features intact and workable...but LR is a specific application written from the ground up for a certain task/workflow, while ACR runs as a plug inside PS, which is taking up more resources than a simpler stand alone app.

As the common disclaimer in digital imaging goes: "your mileage may vary".

Hope this helps,

Stephen Marsh.
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2007
    Maestro wrote:
    What is the difference? ne_nau.gif I have CS3 and love the new Bridge for my workflow. I'm currently reprocessing some RAW files and the new CS3 with Bridge is making a difference when I compare the older versions to the new versions. I have heard rave comments about Lightroom so I downloaded the free trial. Well, unless I am missing something, I haven't as of yet found really anything that is so drastically different from CS3 that would justify the price tag for Lightroom. I've read the Adobe info on the differences between the two, but really with the improvements to Bridge in CS3, I can't see the BIG difference. At times, I can be denser than a black hole so please enlighten me. :D Thanks in advance.

not exactly what your asking but relevant to you question - see the end of this story....

http://www.macworld.com/2007/06/features/digitaldarkroom/index4.php

troy
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2007
    Thanks guys. I am going to to stick to CS3 and Bridge for the time being. Lately, I have been processing a large number of pics, but so far Bridge is fine. Thanks again for trying to help.