CS3 Crashing .......Help!!!

USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
edited July 24, 2007 in Finishing School
Been dealing with this for a few days now and about to go crazy.:huh

I upgraded to CS3 early this year and it's been working just fine.
Few days ago after working on a photo for a long time went to hit save and cs3 crashed.

I thought it was just a fluke so I again worked on the same photo for a long and hit save as and cs3 crashed again.

So I repaired cs3 with the install disk which took forever and it did the same thing.
Every time I try to save a file it crashes....Help!!!!!

I guess I could unstall cs3 and cs2 and cs but this would take a long time.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Fred

Comments

• MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Are you noticing if any other programs are acting wierd or is it just CS3? Also, are there new programs that are possibly loading into memory that do not need to be there thus taking some memory away from CS3 causing the crashing? If you go to your Run command and msconfig you can view what is loading up.
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    What O/S? I would first check where you have your scratch disk(s). You might have a corrupted file that is causing you grief.

I can only speak for Windows, but I have encountered the odd application that once it crashes once, will continue to crash, unless you delete all temp files that the program has created. In Windows, just search for any *.tmp files. You can pretty much safely delete any tmp file in your default Temp directory.

If you're on another platform, someone else will need to chime in ...

I am running CS3 (upgrade) on Vista Ultimate and have not encounted any problems so far.

Regards,
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Maestro wrote:
    Are you noticing if any other programs are acting wierd or is it just CS3? Also, are there new programs that are possibly loading into memory that do not need to be there thus taking some memory away from CS3 causing the crashing? If you go to your Run command and msconfig you can view what is loading up.
    Well I really haven't noticed any other programs messed up.
    Bridge messed up a couple of times so ??

I will check msconfig good idea

My antivirus program just expired been putting that off for a little whild.

Thanks
    Fred
    edited July 16, 2007
    digismile wrote:
    What O/S? I would first check where you have your scratch disk(s). You might have a corrupted file that is causing you grief.

I can only speak for Windows, but I have encountered the odd application that once it crashes once, will continue to crash, unless you delete all temp files that the program has created. In Windows, just search for any *.tmp files. You can pretty much safely delete any tmp file in your default Temp directory.

If you're on another platform, someone else will need to chime in ...

I am running CS3 (upgrade) on Vista Ultimate and have not encounted any problems so far.

Regards,
    Useing XP here and I will check the temp files and .tmp and deleat them.
    I just did a scan disk and check disk before this happend.

Also my ups batteries died when the power went out due to storms.
    And XP was up and running when it lost power after that is when I started having trouble.

So maybe the power outage messed up something in XP or my computer ?

Well I try a few things and see.

Thanks for the help
    Fred
  • maczippymaczippy Registered Users Posts: 597 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Hey there...

Sorry I can't help you with the issue (I'm all mac based...) however, you might try searching these forums for an answer (I had an issue with Bridge and found the answer here)

Go here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/

Andrew
    AutoMotoPhoto® Motorcycle Racing Photography
    Next Race - MotoGP Donington
    :ivar

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 16, 2007
    Fred, one suggestion - you may have already tried it, but you did not mention it so...

Immediately after clicking on the CS3 icon to start the program, hold down CTRL+ALT+Shift ( Windows) or CMND+ OPTION+ Shift ( Mac) to reset the preferences for PSCS3.

If it makes you feel any better, I have had CS3 crash occaisionally also. But not continuously.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    USAIR wrote:
    My antivirus program just expired been putting that off for a little whild.

Thanks
    Fred

For anti virus that truly auto update (daily sometimes 2 or 3 times a day)

Free for home users also

AVAST

AVG

I actually run both but I am a bit over cautious about viruses...it seems that avast has the tendacy to catch stuff faster or maybe it runs everything first then passes it on to avg.....but they are way better than Norton (synmantec) or Macaffie..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    USAIR wrote:
    Useing XP here and I will check the temp files and .tmp and deleat them.
    I just did a scan disk and check disk before this happend.

Also my ups batteries died when the power went out due to storms.
    And XP was up and running when it lost power after that is when I started having trouble.

So maybe the power outage messed up something in XP or my computer ?

Did you run the Checkdisk before or after the hard crash? If after, what sectors were bad? And did you repair them or what? The timing seems awfully concidental

Assuming the surge suppression on your UPS held up, the drive crashing could be the cause. Did you have the PC just up and running or was it actually processing soemthing in the background (like PS or any other files)?
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited July 17, 2007
    Fred,

First, my sympathies.

Since the error is repeatable, it is not a fluke. Most likely, there is file corruption, probably in the PS swap files. If you have an external drive, make that drive your only swap drive in the CS3 configuration. Or if you already are using an external drive for swap, change it to your C: drive. If it works in the new configuration, that will pin it down to the swap files. Note that chkdsk might not see the problem as it could be Adobe data structures in the file that are screwed up and not the Windows file system itself. I don't know whether you can just delete the swap files...maybe someone else here has experience with recreating them.

It might end up saving you time to uninstall and reinstall CS3, ne_nau.gif

If you are really determined to understand the cause of the failure, you should get in touch with Adobe tech support. When a Windows program crashes, it creates a log entry with detailed information about the state of the system. I don't know about XP, but on Win2K (and earlier versions) the log file is called drwtsn32.log and it is found in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\DrWatson. It is a simple text file, and you can search it to find the entries that were caused by Photoshop. Unless you are a programmer, it will be complete gibberish, but if you send the log to Adobe, someone there will be able to figure out what happened--though probably not the first level person that answers the phone. rolleyes1.gif

Good luck and please let us know what the solution turns out to be.

Regards,
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited July 17, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Did you run the Checkdisk before or after the hard crash? If after, what sectors were bad? And did you repair them or what? The timing seems awfully concidental

Assuming the surge suppression on your UPS held up, the drive crashing could be the cause. Did you have the PC just up and running or was it actually processing soemthing in the background (like PS or any other files)?

Yes. I just reread the thread, and you said that you ran the disk utilities before the crashes, but you didn't say anything about after. Run them again and use the repair option. If things are badly screwed up, it sometimes takes repeated scans to fix all the damage. The newer Windows file system (NTFS) is pretty good at self-healing, but it is not perfect.
    edited July 17, 2007
    Thanks everyone for the help

Andrew I did do a search and it came back with swap disk errors in those same forums.
    So I have to look when I get off work.

Jim I have to try also I really thought the reinstall would work.

Art never heard about those antivirus programs I'll have to have a look
    ...antivirus programs what a racket ohhh don't get me started :soapbox

I never shut down my computer

When I am done for the day I just make it hibernate and shut down the screens.
    When the ups lost its power and the batteries were dead the computer was in the hibernate mode.

CS3 was running Bridge was running and 2 windows of Windows file explorer were running...might even had Iview Pro running.
    Several filed were open in CS3 so I lost all of those.

When the power came back on my computer was off.
    I hit the power button but the computer would not come on...this is when I started freaking out :yikes
    I then hit the small reset button and the computer started to fire up this is when I starter to breathe again.:whew

Have to try all these suggestions when I get home from work

This work thing really get in the way of my fun mwink.gif

Thanks
    Fred
    edited July 18, 2007
    Happy ending clap.gif

Well here's what I did wings.gif

1 Tried Jims(pathfinder) suggestion still crashed
    2 Tried checkdisk several times no luck

3 Deleted all .tmp files although could not delete all but most but still crashed
    4 Tried changing drives for swap files and no luck

5 Tried msconfig and ran in a kinda safe mode very few basic drivers no luck here also
    6 Unstalled CS3 and reinstalled CS3 and no luck

7 Unstalled CS3 and then deleted all references in the registry to PS 10 still no luck
    8 I repaired Windows XP again no luck

I restarted my computer after each try :whew

I had to unstall CS3 then CS2 and then CS this is the only thing that would work.
    I guess all the different versions must share filles or .dll files?
    So I assume it was either CS or CS2 had the bad file ????

I just happy it's fix.
    It also started to crashed when in CS3 I tried to open a file...I didn't noticed this before because I use Bridge to open my files.

Thanks for all the help everyone

Not sure if I learned anything or not...except maybe upgrades aren't the way to go...to many disk to feed :D

I sure wish Adobe would just give you the full version when you upgrade then you could delete older copies.

I just love a happy ending...............untill the next crash that is... eek7.gif

Fred
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 18, 2007
    Wow,

Whata lotta work!!

Glad you got things up and running again, Fred.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    USAIR wrote:
    I sure wish Adobe would just give you the full version when you upgrade then you could delete older copies.

Funny you would say that. I always assumed the same thing. Probably read it in a forum somewhere. deal.gif I had a clean install of PS 7 from a suite I bought like 5-6 years ago. I then upgraded to CS and then again to CS2. I had understood you could not uninstall the older versions because the original registration was needed from whatever the first full install was.

So maybe I could have uninstalled CS after I went to CS2, but never could I uninstall PS7. I swear I didn't make that up, but... when I upgraded to CS3, the kindly Adobe tech / sales rep said I could uninstall all older versions. I believe it verifies the existence of the old version, but it doesn't need to actually be installed. Really, I am not making this up. That is what he told me.:crazy :crazy

Makes no diff. I not only upgraded to CS3, I jumped platforms to the Mac at the same time. They shipped me the full Mac CS3.bowdown.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Funny you would say that. I always assumed the same thing. Probably read it in a forum somewhere. deal.gif I had a clean install of PS 7 from a suite I bought like 5-6 years ago. I then upgraded to CS and then again to CS2. I had understood you could not uninstall the older versions because the original registration was needed from whatever the first full install was.

So maybe I could have uninstalled CS after I went to CS2, but never could I uninstall PS7. I swear I didn't make that up, but... when I upgraded to CS3, the kindly Adobe tech / sales rep said I could uninstall all older versions. I believe it verifies the existence of the old version, but it doesn't need to actually be installed. Really, I am not making this up. That is what he told me.:crazy :crazy

Makes no diff. I not only upgraded to CS3, I jumped platforms to the Mac at the same time. They shipped me the full Mac CS3.bowdown.gif

I installed the Windows CS3 downloaded from the Adobe site where I bought the upgrade. When I installed it, it asked for the License key from a previous qualifying version. Since I was installing it on a new notebook instead of the desktop CS was installed on this was a clean install. I don't remember but I thought it worked the same way V7 to CS but that was a while ago...

Regards,

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    just wonderd whether you had been trying out the beta version first - that is the cause of many many probs and needs to be super-uninstalled ?
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
    edited July 24, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    just wonderd whether you had been trying out the beta version first - that is the cause of many many probs and needs to be super-uninstalled ?

Yes I did try the beta CS3 and before I installed my upgrade I did uninstall the beta version.
    I didn't "super-unstall" it ?

Also a side note...since the reinstall of CS3 it has not crashed yet but Bridge has. (about a week now)
    One thing in bridge I noticed is that I lose my scrolling with the arrow keys and also with the mouse wheel quite a lot.
    I do a shut down and a restart of Bridge and it's back? ne_nau.gif

Fred
  • I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    USAIR wrote:
    Yes I did try the beta CS3 and before I installed my upgrade I did uninstall the beta version.
    I didn't "super-unstall" it ?

Also a side note...since the reinstall of CS3 it has not crashed yet but Bridge has. (about a week now)
    One thing in bridge I noticed is that I lose my scrolling with the arrow keys and also with the mouse wheel quite a lot.
    I do a shut down and a restart of Bridge and it's back? ne_nau.gif

Fred

OK then I recommend going to the Adoibe forums and checking out the correct way to uninstall te Beta as it has caused everyone huge problems installing the full version and for it to keep working

Personally I wiped the HD eventually and reinstalled everything it was so hard to clear ALL ( every single iota of reference to it) the beta files - a huge c**k up by Adobe IMO ( and many other opinion)

They do supply a uninstaller for the beta version which runs separately but you have to manyually remove many files FIRST before even running the uninstaller

Once you have done all that and reinstalled CS3 you will need to perform the latest update to CS3 after which Bridge should behave itself

Good luck
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..