they're trying to take away my rights

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited February 28, 2005 in People
...to shoot on the nyc subways.

(click on image for exif)
16082835-L.jpg

he was one of four guys who were playing mariachi music on the r train today. this was taken just as we were pulling out of canal street station. shot in raw, developed two exposures and blended in post. i recovered all the highlights in the bass, and on his face, but there was nothing i could do about the hot flourescent light upper left.

enjoy (subway) photography,

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 18, 2005
    Great shot (as usual)! thumb.gif

Now is it really true that you may not be able to shoot in the subway? or did I miss a subtle joke there?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    With you, I doubt it is profiling, which might be a worse feeling. It is only all of us. Think of it as keeping the world safe from harm. Tell them you are only trying to help by documenting who is where with what.

Or are they trying to take away his rights not yours.

ginger (a product of the turbulent sixties)

That is a good shot. Too bad about the upper left.
    I love the musicians that you catch shots of.
    I am playing my mini ipod right now, came yesterday.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Great shot (as usual)! thumb.gif

Now is it really true that you may not be able to shoot in the subway? or did I miss a subtle joke there?

thanks eric... yeah they are trying to make it illegal to shoot in the nyc subway system.

sigh
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    Andy is this due to terrorism fears etc or just © ?
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    Yea... I resound the same questions.
    What about your freedom of speach? With a camera...
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,238 moderator
    edited February 19, 2005
    First off, Andy... great shot and processing. The blown-out upper left corner does not detract at all. In fact, I think it helps frame the shot even better.

In Chicago, the latest evil being perpetrated is that the Chicago Park District is now banning ANY photography in the "bean" (Chicago Cloudgate sculpture) area. One now needs to obtain a permit (read: long drawn out process and "pay them") to shoot even a portion of the thing. This is a public park - no entry fee - everyone is welcome. P&S shooters are to be sho'ed away by the police. Want a pic of Aunt Sally posing with the Chicago skyline in the background and in front of the Bean? Forget it - or get arrested and fined.

There have been tens, probably hundreds of thousands of shots of this new feature in the last year by everyone with a camera. I can't blame the sculptor if he wants his rights protected from commercialization of his efforts, but geeeez - when does this end? And when does popularity and beauty and praise of [public] artwork get confused with theft and disorderly conduct (and paranoia)? Only in America, folks.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2005
    I had to google that one david.

http://www.netmouse.com/usa/illinois/chicago/bean.jpg

Certainly looks to be a 'fish eye' delight. The world is becoming a foolish place with this type of paranoid garbage. Why wouldnt the sculptor just sue over photos used for profit & leave the amatures be.
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

Certainly looks to be a 'fish eye' delight. The world is becoming a foolish place with this type of paranoid garbage. Why wouldnt the sculptor just sue over photos used for profit & leave the amatures be.
    Actually, if he/she/it doesn't want PICs taken of his "art", in a public place, he needs to move it! Put it in a warehouse somewhere...
    edited February 19, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

Yes, and that's soon to be an older looking photo. As I understand it, the thing is to be even "fishier" when those welds are ground off and polished smooth. Up close, you can get a pano effect of what's behind you, and due to it's curvature, the photographer is so small to hardly be noticed in the shot. It's kinda spooky-cool being in front of it. Unless you're there on the odd workday at an unusual and lucky time, there are so many people around it that's it's just about impossible to get a clean shot of it. A lot of people milling about it is also a cool pic.

The paranoia of this country is to the point that being an enthusiast photog (wouldn't even call myself an amateur yet) perhaps I should begin a small publication just to get that coveted PRESS PASS so I can walk somewhat freely around without being hassled by para-cops.

Either that, or wait until 10MP in-the-eyeglass spy cams get good enough.
    My Smugmug
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 19, 2005
    I know I sure do feel a whole lot safer knowing that no one will be able to wield a camera inside of a NYC subway ever again rolleyes1.gif So no camera phones either? Or, is this just a law aimed at the "artistic" terrorists?

Personally, I'd try to fight this stupidity. Probably lose, but I just wouldn't feel right about giving in without some sort fight. If we sit still for this sort of nonsense today, one day we will wake up with no rights left :uhoh

Hell no, we won't go.........Free Huey (and Duey and Louie too....lol).......Gimme liberty or give me death........Power to the people, right on thumb.gif

Use your pull Andy. I'm sure just about every other photographer in the area is PO'd too. Worst case you'll get some nice shots of the NYPD coming after you in full riot gear :flashLaughing.gif

We deserve what we accept.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Great photo, Andy!
    The slightly tilted compo is really nice to my eyes, and the exposure and compo are spot-on!

As usual, beautiful work with the 50mm! By the way, hope they don't prohibit photography on the NYC subways, they seem to be quite the photo op!

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Take care!

-- thiago
    edited February 20, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    With you, I doubt it is profiling, which might be a worse feeling. It is only all of us. Think of it as keeping the world safe from harm. Tell them you are only trying to help by documenting who is where with what.

Or are they trying to take away his rights not yours.

That is a good shot. Too bad about the upper left.
    I love the musicians that you catch shots of.
    I am playing my mini ipod right now, came yesterday.
    thanks so much for looking and commenting. it's getting tougher, that's for sure. umph.gif

Humungus wrote:
    Andy is this due to terrorism fears etc or just © ?

yes, 'gus but it's rather silly, as if you sniff 'round on google you can find plenty of info on the nyc subway system. in fact, it's downright stupid. there's nothing i can take a photo of down there under the streets of nyc that isn't already out there on the internet, terrorist-planning-wise.

thanks for looking :D
  • GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Ive heard you can download blueprints to the subways and other stuff like that, so stopping people from taking new pictures isnt going to help. And if someone wanted the pictures badly enough they would use a spycam or something.

I wonder what they do about cell phones with cameras.
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Nice photo Andy and a damn shame that you may not be able to capture scenes like this again
    Last year Eric and I was run off from a dam. Yep 1000's of these images floating around already.
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Andy, it's time to get a canon S500 for surreptitious shots. Kinda hard to be discrete with that 40# digicam yer packin' these days.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 20, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Andy, it's time to get a canon S500 for surreptitious shots. Kinda hard to be discrete with that 40# digicam yer packin' these days.
    I think I'll start using a 500mm. Then tell them I'm looking for detail in the
    tile. :D

Andy, do you know when guns and knives are scheduled to be banned? Oh,
    that's right! They already are (weak sarcasim).

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited February 20, 2005
    fish wrote:

ick! i don't sneak around. i'm out in the open. 'sides, the way i carry my 1Ds Mk II, with 50mm f/1.4 aboard, it's really just an extension of my right hand...
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    Now, I could understand it, if it were your 70-200L. The one you always say makes a good weapon. I shot a bird with my 300L today, and the darn bird wouldn't die.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited February 23, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:

c'mon ginger, tell us some stories from the sixties deal.gif

thanks for stopping by and the comment, too.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 23, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Now, I could understand it, if it were your 70-200L. The one you always say makes a good weapon. I shot a bird with my 300L today, and the darn bird wouldn't die.

g
    rolleyes1.giftell me if you figure out how to make it work. I have some squirrels I could use it on!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited February 23, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Yes, and that's soon to be an older looking photo. As I understand it, the thing is to be even "fishier" when those welds are ground off and polished smooth. Up close, you can get a pano effect of what's behind you, and due to it's curvature, the photographer is so small to hardly be noticed in the shot. It's kinda spooky-cool being in front of it. Unless you're there on the odd workday at an unusual and lucky time, there are so many people around it that's it's just about impossible to get a clean shot of it. A lot of people milling about it is also a cool pic.

The paranoia of this country is to the point that being an enthusiast photog (wouldn't even call myself an amateur yet) perhaps I should begin a small publication just to get that coveted PRESS PASS so I can walk somewhat freely around without being hassled by para-cops.

Either that, or wait until 10MP in-the-eyeglass spy cams get good enough.

david - thanks for commenting :D i always enjoy your posts - so, post more, willya?

deal.gif
    edited February 23, 2005
    andy wrote:
    david - thanks for commenting :D i always enjoy your posts - so, post more, willya?

deal.gif

Trying Andy, really, I am. I'm at 1.03 posts/day, but I don't want to overdo it for fear of being :banned from yet another forum. Some people just don't appreciate good humor:poke .
    My Smugmug
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Trying Andy, really, I am. I'm at 1.03 posts/day, but I don't want to overdo it for fear of being :banned from yet another forum. Some people just don't appreciate good humor:poke .

I wouldn't worry about it. At least one of the moderators here has been banned from several other forums and mailing lists. :uhoh
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited February 27, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    Yea... I resound the same questions.
    What about your freedom of speach? With a camera...

thanks for stopping by, commenting, and joining the fun, seymore!
    edited February 27, 2005
    GerryDavid wrote:
    Ive heard you can download blueprints to the subways and other stuff like that, so stopping people from taking new pictures isnt going to help. And if someone wanted the pictures badly enough they would use a spycam or something.

I wonder what they do about cell phones with cameras.

nod.gifnod.gif

it's moronic, innit? thanks for stoppign by gerrydavid!
    edited February 27, 2005
    fish wrote:
    I wouldn't worry about it. At least one of the moderators here has been banned from several other forums and mailing lists. :uhoh

gee, i wonder who? headscratch.gif

lol3.gif
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    Lovely shot and thumb.gif They were actually playing on the train...cool!
    All these photographic restrictions are ridiculous. We're not allowed to use a flash on the underground but its OK to take picture. I've been moved on a couple of times taking pictures in mainline stations though!
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 28, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:

Awwww come on David, you've probably been kicked out of nicer places than this before :lol4

Even though I'm not the person Andy was referring to, I got banned on DPR too :cry And you know me, I never upset anyone rolleyes1.gif OK, I might have upset a few people.....lol

Anyhow, as Andy mentioned, post more here. We've got an excellent sense of humor.....lol

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited February 28, 2005
    Awwww come on David, you've probably been kicked out of nicer places than this before :lol4

Even though I'm not the person Andy was referring to, I got banned on DPR too :cry And you know me, I never upset anyone rolleyes1.gif OK, I might have upset a few people.....lol

Anyhow, as Andy mentioned, post more here. We've got an excellent sense of humor.....lol

Steve

You too? For what? ne_nau.gif

...and I've also even been arrested by the police for a curfew violation when I was 15 because I was riding my bike at 5am, but that's another story.

:D Doesn't everybody get banned from DPR? I look at that incident (whatever it was, 'cause I'm still clueless about it) as a proud accomplishment in my never-ending journey in life and cyberspace. And besides, it bumped me up to the better boards, like this place. Heck, just yesterday, Andy banned himself from STF, as I read it. And good for him. The idiot trolls were beginning to brandish sharp knives and such :hack .
    My Smugmug