Options

No Harm Came To My Daughter.......

imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
edited July 20, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
In The Creation Of This Image!

Do you think this fits?

I came across this story a few weeks back and when I saw the title of this weeks competition I thought it fit. Keep in mind that I in no way endorse the actions of these people nor do I treat my children in this way. THe crate is my 130 pound Bullmastiffs sleeping quarters.

173841768-L.jpg

or Black and White

173841035-L.jpg

Finally had a chance to work a little more on this one and I think this is the one that I will enter. THanks for looking

174312395-L.jpg

Comments appreciated.........

Joe

Comments

• Options
    KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    I remember this story. I like the idea but wish could see her eyes to some degree. I like it bothe ways, color and b&w.
    Nice Work!
  • Options
    DebboggyDebboggy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    I like the color version best. It humanizes her and brings her to life. I can't explain it very well, but I like what it adds to the picture.
    ~Debbie~
    Canon Rebel XTi w/18-55mm kit lens
    28-105mm
    100-300mm USM
    100mm macro USM & Kenko extension tubes
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    I like it, think it is to underexposed though...

Winston
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    I like both, although I wish, I could see eye contact/expression...

To me in a lot of photos, eyes are important to add and even enhance "The Look". I think in this instance it would work, and add uumph to the mouth expression..JMO ..

I can see in my minds eye, a dirty child in a cage with dirty papers in a "crouched/cornered/cowering/ position such as a lot of the animals do when in an abuseful/neglected situation and their will to live and pride has been taken from them. (but that is just me..sorry for rambling)

Good luck in whichever you choose...

Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    I like both, although I wish, I could see eye contact/expression...

To me in a lot of photos, eyes are important to add and even enhance "The Look". I think in this instance it would work, and add uumph to the mouth expression..JMO ..

I can see in my minds eye, a dirty child in a cage with dirty papers in a "crouched/cornered/cowering/ position such as a lot of the animals do when in an abuseful/neglected situation and their will to live and pride has been taken from them. (but that is just me..sorry for rambling)

Good luck in whichever you choose...

Donna

THanks for the replies. Normally I would agree that the eyes make the photograph. When I think of eyes I imagine a portrait of Yuris, In this case though, when I read the story of these poor children I could only imagine what they had gone through, and what they endured at the hands of these people. I don't think anyone of us could capture the pain or fear that they had in their eyes, nor did I want to. As taken, we have to use our imagination to see them, or see as they might have been.

I have been rethinking ideas and ways to shoot this and I'm trying to do it in a way that won't be too disturbing for my daughter, my wife and myself and also those viewing it. The story was disturbing enough.

Thanks again
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Hiya Imax. Never read the story, that was just my imagination going over the edge thinking, not saying you have to do it...Laughing.gif like I said I was rambling.....I was picturing the scene in my mind's eye...

as said before...Good Luck in whichever you choose!! KUDOS

and a BIG WHOOOHAAAAAA to your daughter for helping you!!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    I actually like this with the deep shadows around the eyes. It almost makes the face an empty mask, which I feel is appropriate for the mood. The shadows turn dramtically downward, giving the expression an exaggeratingly depressed, hollow, and ghostly feel, which is almost frightening. It definitely evoked a response from me! thumb.gif
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    I like the photo, but I'm not crazy about the 3rd version. I think what I would try is a 2 or 3 tone monochome conversion in sepia colors.

I rather like how the SepiaTone action does this
    http://www.atncentral.com/Pages/SepiaTone.htm
    http://www.atncentral.com/Zip_Actions/Sepiatone.zip
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2007
    Thanks for the replies, I have tried several other versions of this

174957362-L.jpg

and a sepia one

174957851-L.jpg

and I keep coming back to the color version. It just matches what I saw in my head when I first thought of the image. Thanks for all the input

Joe

I like the photo, but I'm not crazy about the 3rd version. I think what I would try is a 2 or 3 tone monochome conversion in sepia colors.

I rather like how the SepiaTone action does this
    http://www.atncentral.com/Pages/SepiaTone.htm
    http://www.atncentral.com/Zip_Actions/Sepiatone.zip
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    For me that sepia is way too light and under-contrasted. But if you want color then you do color :D
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section