Hummingbird....

gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
edited July 20, 2007 in Holy Macro
...Clearwing Moth that is. First time I've found them. Focusing with the 400 f/5.6 and all three Kenko tubes is pretty rough. Especially on something that doesn't stop moving like this guy. I wish I had a little more room on the top but I'll take it. At least I remember how to use my camera, it feels like forever since I've been out. Don't these guys look like crayfish with wings?

173490282-L.jpg
Nick
SmugMug Technical Account Manager
Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
nickwphoto

Comments

• DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Well done!

They do look like crayfish -almost the same tail!

There has been some discussion lately over at Fred Miranda's about using a telephoto for closeup photography. Most telephoto lenses are soft at the minimum focusing distance of the lens -by design since the primary use for a telephoto is to take photos of distant subjects. So they are built to be sharp toward infinity. If you're finding it difficult to get sharp images it might not be your technique, it may just be the lens.

One way around the limitation is to use a diopter (like the 500D) since it will fix the focus at about 1/2 of a meter from the front of the lens. Since the focus is fixed (the focus ring will only change the area of sharp focus by about a centimeter) you can set the focus ring toward infinity and the resulting images are pretty sharp. The focal length of the lens changes the magnification, so to get closer to the subject all you have to do is zoom in.
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    ...Clearwing Moth that is. First time I've found them. Focusing with the 400 f/5.6 and all three Kenko tubes is pretty rough. Especially on something that doesn't stop moving like this guy. I wish I had a little more room on the top but I'll take it. At least I remember how to use my camera, it feels like forever since I've been out. Don't these guys look like crayfish with wings?

Thats still an excellent shot Nick clap.gif
    I have seen a hummingbird moth only once they sure are big,
    and as you said they just keep moving.

Looks like the little fella is suspended in mid air thumb.gif
    Very nice shot, love the flower too :D .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • loiloi Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    very cool :D
    "We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains." Li Po
    http://loi.smugmug.com/gallery/3539566#199917032
  • SerratorSerrator Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Outstanding capture! Not sure I have ever seen one of these yet but yours is very nice.
    My Photo Playground:
    www.flickr.com/photos/serrator
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Lovely shot very nice colors
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • emmalouemmalou Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    Beautiful! I have only seen two of these creatures.they are interesting!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    I've never heard of these things before Dgrin, but they're fascinating. Fuzzy, butterfly-headed lobsters with wings. Great capture!
  • MrPartsMrParts Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    I'm thinking the title of this should have been "Flying Lobster". That's amazing how it looks like one!

Excellent catch!
    Enjoy your life, it's the only one you get.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 18, 2007
    Nicely done, Nick.

Nice bokeh in the background too. Not the easiest subject either - as you say, they do not hold still for anyone. Zip, zip, zip and they're gone!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • rw2rw2 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2007
    Wow
    This is a great shot! Yes they do look like crayfish.