Options

Pros and Cons

tambolatambola Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited July 17, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
of photography schools/colleges? certificates/degrees? online/local schools? Please share your thoughts. I am curious about the pros and cons of any of it.
If you don't want to publicly announce your feelings about this subject, please send me a PM.
thanks!

Comments

• Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    tambola wrote:
    of photography schools/colleges? certificates/degrees? online/local schools? Please share your thoughts. I am curious about the pros and cons of any of it.
    If you don't want to publicly announce your feelings about this subject, please send me a PM.
    thanks!

It think the first question I have is: what are you going to do with the degree/certificate? What is your goal and how will any of those help you achieve it?

I am a big fan of education and learning. I have a college degree, and I'm glad I have it. I have a high level professional certification - it pays the bills. And very little of it has helped me with my later-in-life photographic avocation.

So I do a lot of reading and research, talk to people in person and on forums, take classes and workshops all across the country, and shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot and shoot. And then I post images looking for (ouch!) honest critiques. That works for me.

And it may work for you. Or not. Maybe a degree granting program would be best for you, especially if you do not have a degree in anything else.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac