Advice Needed :: About to Shoot Special Olympics

S. HortonS. Horton Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
edited July 24, 2007 in Sports
Tonight we begin a series of shoots for the Special Olympics. The sport is Softball.

It is a 100% volunteer job -- no $ involved.

But, we'd like to do a good job.

Does anyone have any advice for us? What to focus on, for example? Setup? (see sig)

Comments

• BRATCHBRATCH Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    S. Horton wrote:
    Tonight we begin a series of shoots for the Special Olympics. The sport is Softball.

It is a 100% volunteer job -- no $ involved.

But, we'd like to do a good job.

Does anyone have any advice for us? What to focus on, for example? Setup? (see sig)

I don't shoot softball all that often and I'm always limited by officials as where I can be, but the area that can get you the most coverage is about midway down the first base line. For several reasons, hopefully this is an area you can get to with your 70-200 2.8.

The first reason is because most batters are right-handed so you've got the good side for batting.

Second, the best action is in the infield and you are about as close as you can be and are able to get the front of all of the infielders and they are all working toward first base most of the time. Which is in your general direction. You might shade a little toward first if you can just so that you don't have the pitcher blocking the shortstop or third base.

Third, since most of the action is in the infield, you are close enough to first base that you can get bang-bang plays and the first base coach talking to the runners and congratulating them on hits.

That's pretty much it for me. I would shoot all of the batters standing at the ready and hitting the ball or swinging. From then on it's all about the defense.

The more freedom you have the better, but if you can only pick one spot, the first base about midway is best for me. You don't have to worry as much about players in shooting lanes and you can cover a majority of the action and players from that vantage point.

Hope that helps.
    If they hate you they have a subscription. -- Bratch
  • S. HortonS. Horton Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    ^^ Ah, yes -- and I'm wondering about the nature of the shoot.

I've worked with kids before, but not in this environment, and not under these circumstances. Not sure what to expect, and not sure how I can help increase their enjoyment the most.
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    also - don't forget to shoot the warm-ups. You can usually isolate a player and make it look like the catch/throw is in a real game situation and you may have more latitude w/ regards to moving around the field.

I noticed you have a 100-400. I've used that w/ relatively good results when I've shot baseball, but 100 is on the long end for getting full shots of batters from near the dug out.

If you are not allowed field access, you can shoot through a chain link fence reasonably well. Take off your lens hood and station yourself as close to the fence as you can and you'll barely notice the fence. Manual focus helps here and is reasonably useful in softball/baseball where you can anticipate a shot/play (the pitch, the infield basemen, a runner leading off/arriving at a base).

good luck and have fun.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
    edited July 17, 2007
    S. Horton wrote:

I've worked with kids before, but not in this environment, and not under these circumstances. Not sure what to expect, and not sure how I can help increase their enjoyment the most.

Ah, sorry, you posted this as I was writing my 1st response. I'm sure the kids are going to be thrilled w/ just playing the game, so I would try to focus on the emotions and the joy that is sure to be on their faces while still trying to get some of what ever action there is. I think the pre-game warm up shoot is still a good idea, b/c you are more likely to get the kids actually catching the ball (since it is more likely to be thrown to them). I think side line shots w/ the players interacting with each other and their coach would also be good.

hth,

C.
    Colleen

edited July 18, 2007
    Post for the thread on an update / FWIW / FYI for others who search if they ask this question about shooting Special Olympics......

1. If you do something like this, come prepared with more CF cards than you'd usually have; I alone shot one game, 2 hours, 11 GB. This happens because you want certain shots, but to get them you'll have to be more patient, more persistent

2. Pay attention. In Special Olympics the timing, events and sequences are different; the times you may be used to slacking off a tad, careful, things happen. Great things, emotional things.

3. You won't need the usual amount of reach on your second camera; hang a UWA around you neck, not a 70-200, or even a 24-70. Next outing: 15mm fish on a 30D. This is because you need it for certain types of action, and to capture the scene as things unfold

4. Shoot the candids, absolutely, especially the joy, the smiles, but see #2. There's so much more happening in Special Olympics.

5. All parents signed photography releases in advance; no [legal] need to protect galleries with passwords; there are practical reasons, as a post on another board reminds me some people make fun of these athletes; I'll have to protect most of them as a result.

6. You'll feel some deep emotion when shooting this kind of event. It is amazing. See #2; stay focused on the task as best you can.

7. The kids are not that different from yours, really. There are just some things they cannot do, and will never do, but in all honesty they're having a better time than most of our kids do. But make no mistake, they are competitive, as a whole. It is the Olympics, after all.

8. There are not just children in Special Olympics in the Softball that I'm shooting. There are adults, several. Prepare for that; you won't know which are coaches unless you pay attention, and there are clearly some team members who are mentor/coaching youth on the field of play. Look there for some of your best candids. But, again, see #2.

9. You are not a parent, and not a coach, you are a volunteer. That's completely different. Curb all instincts to help, because unless you have a child like theirs, you simply do not know how. But, you'll want to....

10. To do justice to the task, plan to shoot at least three (3) events to get coverage of the kids complete.

I will post some pics on this thread.

EDIT 27 JUL 07:
    After doing more, I think I know why this is different from other sports photography. First, there are way more people on the field. Instead of 9 players, I see at least 20 people. That means shooting in lanes between them is required; it is harder to see where the ball is going and to get a shot of a play. Second, you need to be closer, shooting from maybe 1/2 way down the 1st base or 3rd base line. Third, the candids come after the play, almost immediately, so the normal 'relax' period (cadence of the shoot, if you will) is different. Fourth, some are a bit beyond camera shy, while others really ask to be shot.

In all cases, they really want to know where the photos are, so prepare custom printed cards with the URL and hand them out. Have those at every shoot, every time, at the ready.

Finally, for now, the players are sometimes hard to distinguish from the volunteers, in many cases. Shoot them all, let them sort it out later.
    edited July 19, 2007
    174710061-L.jpg

174693390-L.jpg

174696855-L.jpg

174702238-L.jpg
  • JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    I have "worked" several Special Olympic events and I can tell you from experience that these are TRULY AMAZING KIDS! The feelings are undescribable when it comes to being with them. I guarantee you that you will have a wonderful time. And don't be afraid to get involved. Yea, you're not the coach or parent but you will be amazed at the feelings you get if you go up and give one a hug for doing a good job. And they appreciate that and will also truly enjoy your photos. I mostly worked track and field where you waited for them with a hug when they come across the finish line but I am sure Softball will be no different.

And you will take a ton of photos and they will enjoy every one of them.
    edited July 19, 2007
    ^^ thx for that note. wave.gif
  • renay johnsonrenay johnson Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    S. Horton wrote:

So what was the big deal? You took great pictures of athletes. They are no different than taking a picture of a "normal" kid. They may not be as muscular as any other kid, but looking at the pictures, I see kids playing softball. No special equipment or handling needed.
    edited July 20, 2007
    nice shots Sam. It seems like you were able to get some decent shots of the players actually playing. Do you have any of the candids that address some of the points you made in your earlier post?

tx,

C.
    Colleen

edited July 20, 2007
    So what was the big deal? You took great pictures of athletes. They are no different than taking a picture of a "normal" kid. They may not be as muscular as any other kid, but looking at the pictures, I see kids playing softball. No special equipment or handling needed.

Unlike a 'normal' shoot, this series is indeed special. I sought the volunteer opportunity, I knew the shots mean more to these people than average, so, I wanted to do the best job possible.

In short, nerves......
    edited July 20, 2007
    Frog Lady wrote:
    nice shots Sam. It seems like you were able to get some decent shots of the players actually playing. Do you have any of the candids that address some of the points you made in your earlier post?

tx,

C.

Yes, but not as many as I wanted -- My initial shoot I wanted to try to get as many batter-with-ball / running as possible. That takes more time than I'm used to; it is just harder to do. I'll have +1 maybe 2 more shooters for the next couple of games, we'll shoot from the infield -> out. What's hard to explain is how many people are on the field; like shooting into a crowd.

To add to the last post there are many things which are very different, one is which photos not to process and why (subtle) and the fact that there are, for certain, some players who are hyper-sensitive to being photographed; if they see you pointing a camera at them, the shot you get is one you'd never use, as it shows something akin to terror.

174692928-L.jpg

174715036-L.jpg

...and here's why I need to come at it from the opposite side; this is one of the most emotionally charged moments, as this child at left is expressionless, save very tiny glimpses, it was his first time and many helped. I think I shot >30 frames, with all the people around, all I have is these two -- they look so meaningless, but I'd put real money on what the parent(s) will think -- this is may almost be a miracle to them

174706206-L.jpg

174706419-L.jpg

174707789-L.jpg
    edited July 20, 2007
    Hi Sam,

for an outsider, I think the 2nd shot of your second set catches a lot of what the Special Olympics is about and I really like it thumb.gif

I can imagine the challenge of catching good, engaging shots of a player who does not show his emotions. I admit that for a viewer that doesn't know what is going on, the image doesn't convey a lot, but hope that the parents appreciated your efforts at capturing their son playing.

C.
    Colleen

• cornerketchcornerketch Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    Special Olympics Delaware
    Check out www.sode.smugmug.com/sode

Shooting Special Olympics events are NO different than any other sport shots.

Sorry I have been offline for a while.. But looks like you did a great job..

If you want to talk, PM..
    Hank Stoklosa
    CornerKetch Studios
    Special Olympics Delaware
    www.sode.smugmug.com
  • renay johnsonrenay johnson Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    Check out www.sode.smugmug.com/sode

Shooting Special Olympics events are NO different than any other sport shots.

You just hit the nail on the head.
    edited July 22, 2007
    ^^ I may take you up on that.

Where it feels different is during editing. There are some shots I can't say are good or bad.

And, I'll bite, I'm willing to be wrong.
    edited July 24, 2007
    @Hank - I see on your site you have been doing this for quite a while.

We're in the same region -- Let's connect via PM.