Compact Flash Use on different camera model

meewolfiemeewolfie Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
edited July 18, 2007 in Cameras
I don't want to start a canon vs. nikon discussion - just need some pre-planning advice.

This upcoming weekend I'm renting a Nikon D200 to do a side by side comparison with my 30D.

I've downloaded the D200 documentation and am planning on setting up the camera to match those on my 30D.

I have a bunch of compact flash cards that I use for my canon. Should I be concerned about re-formatting the cards for use in the Nikon? I may be being hyper-cautious here, but I've had a few cards fail within my canon (Lexar - although these failures seem to be related to when I delete individual files in camera. I've found that it's better to not do any file management via the camera or computer interface on these cards. Full formats seem to be the safest way to handle these cards.). I'm assuming that the nikon has a similar option to the 30D where I just put the card in the camera and then do a full format of the inserted card (over-writing whatever was previously on the card).

Thanks in advance for any info that you think may be helpful.

Mary
Brecksville, Ohio

Comments

• SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Well, AFAIK... a format in camera is like a quick format on a PC. But it is recommended that a format be done in camera to assure the FAT is what the camera can use and no corruption occurs.

But I would suggest using the same make/model of card (if you can) on both cameras... marking one Nikon and the other Canon. Shoot away and if you can DL the cards via a reader (instead of thru a cable attached to the cam) you should have no issues. I've never encountered problems with this method, except when a card was failing.

Good luck...
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    i've deleted all the folders in the past via my PC slot and the cards worked fine in EOS bodies. They just make a new folder and stuff in the files. Generally i'll format all my cards before shooting an event though... reason one being to delete the old pics - reson two to prevent any wierd file problems like you are worried about from happening.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    I would format in camera. And Lexars are known to be a bit twitchy in Canons (recall the big mess about a year & a half ago)--some users have had no trouble at all (put away the flamethrowers), but others have had nothing but trouble.
  • meewolfiemeewolfie Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback! I use a card reader and plan to format the cards in camera. Looks like I shouldn't run in to any issues!

Mary
    Brecksville, Ohio