Options

CH 32 Stan

StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
edited February 21, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Shot against a sheet of white paper with a 20 watt halogen desk lamp colour corrected in ps raw with the dropper and usm.

My six year old son was very blunt and to the point and asked my why I had bothered to take it :rofl He may well be right.

All comments appreciated especially if they make my son look like he knows what he is talking about Thanks
16083656-M-3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 18, 2005
    Stan wrote:

My six year old son was very blunt and to the point and asked my why I had bothered to take it
    Because!? :):
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    The shot is a little soft, did you crop it or is it the true size? I think if you would allow more of the shadow and a little more on the right, the overall effect would be better.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Because!? :):
    Maybe I should listen to him more when he looks at my pictures. :cry
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    The shot is a little soft, did you crop it or is it the true size? I think if you would allow more of the shadow and a little more on the right, the overall effect would be better.
    Thanks Khaos
    I shot at F/2.8 the light was very yellow I tried to pull some detail with shaddow in the raw processing but there's not alot there without using full ps
  • Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2005
    Stan wrote:
    Shot against a sheet of white paper with a 20 watt halogen desk lamp colour corrected in ps raw with the dropper and usm.

My six year old son was very blunt and to the point and asked my why I had bothered to take it rolleyes1.gif He may well be right.

All comments appreciated especially if they make my son look like he knows what he is talking about Thanks
    16083656-L-3.jpg

Hi Stan!

I think this image might be a little more effective (and fit the challenge better) if you had a red background perhaps. All that red with the little bit of green stem would really pop! I think the idea of the challenge is to have the majority of the image be in one dominant color group (I could be wrong... that's just my interpretation of it). While the red bell pepper takes up a good portion of the scene, the background color is also strong in the sense that white tends to overpower. So the two colors kind of cancel each other out as far as dominance goes. Red on red...that's my suggestion! And more depth of field as others have suggested. Hope this helps! ~Nee (by the way, it's a nice still life study...the shape and texture of bell peppers makes them a terrific subject!).
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Options
    whamilton101whamilton101 Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2005
    I like the white background.

What if you let the shadow play into the photo more.

Light it from the bottom left and let the shadow drift to the top right of the pic.

wh

www.screensurge.com
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2005
    Thanks Nee
    I agree with the background> I will try it because the light should graduate the colour across the photo as with the white background headscratch.gif And I have a sheet of red paper somewhere, now to buy a fresh pepper

Thanks whamilton101 I will try for a reshoot and change the lighting
    1. More sharpness
    2. More contrast
    3. Better background
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2005
    ~
    Stan wrote:
    Thanks Nee
    I agree with the background> I will try it because the light should graduate the colour across the photo as with the white background headscratch.gif And I have a sheet of red paper somewhere, now to buy a fresh pepper

Thanks whamilton101 I will try for a reshoot and change the lighting
    1. More sharpness
    2. More contrast
    3. Better background

I can't wait to see the results! Your basic idea is very good, so I hope you didn't think I was implying I didn't like the first photo with the white background! I just felt for this particular challenge it was a wee bit iffy as far as what the judges would be looking for (they only choose 10 of the entries for finalists!). ! Best of luck to you... ~Nee :):

• Options
    edited February 20, 2005
    Nee7x7 wrote:
    I can't wait to see the results! Your basic idea is very good, so I hope you didn't think I was implying I didn't like the first photo with the white background! I just felt for this particular challenge it was a wee bit iffy as far as what the judges would be looking for (they only choose 10 of the entries for finalists!). ! Best of luck to you... ~Nee :):
    None offence taken, I am always amazed if I make the short list, and another perspective is worth alot clap.gif
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2005
    Nee7x7 wrote:
    OK I reshot another pepper at F/14 to give a better DOF and hopefuly more contrast and then played with a border headscratch.gif One with the red background

16197964-M-2.jpg
    And another with the white background

16197966-M.jpg

I would be interested in any thoughts,
    thanks
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Stan wrote:
    OK I reshot another pepper at F/14 to give a better DOF and hopefuly more contrast and then played with a border headscratch.gif One with the red background

16197964-S-2.jpg

And another with the white background

16197966-S.jpg

I would be interested in any thoughts,
    thanks

These are really great Stan. I'm impressed with the change. I like the red background for this particular challenge.

When I try to rate the entries (in my own mind) I use a scoring system. First comes "Theme of the Challenge". How well does it express the theme? So, the red rates highest here.

Second, "Photographic principles". How well does it conform to the principles of good photography? Composition, focus, depth of field, etc. You've done well with the depth of field. I like the horizontal orientation, but I would put the pepper off to one side a bit more. Not dead center.

Third, "Does the picture invoke feelings or have something that draws me in, engages me? How long did I look at it? This is the problem with still life subjects. How do we make them interesting? My suggestion here would be to add something to the image, tell a story. A sliced pepper and a knife on a cutting board or a red plate. ne_nau.gif

Fourth, "Originality and Creativity". Does this picture have something special? Not all pictures do, but if they do, it puts them ahead of the pack.

So, I'd go with the red, but add something special to it. Bright light from one side would give it some punch. A cut pepper with some juice drips would draw me in, make me hungry. Just throwing out some ideas you could try. Get creative! :D
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2005
    Stan:

I like the red background, plague and border. I find the rear shadow distracting. It appears more as a stain on the backdrop.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    These are really great Stan. I'm impressed with the change. I like the red background for this particular challenge.

When I try to rate the entries (in my own mind) I use a scoring system. First comes "Theme of the Challenge". How well does it express the theme? So, the red rates highest here.

Second, "Photographic principles". How well does it conform to the principles of good photography? Composition, focus, depth of field, etc. You've done well with the depth of field. I like the horizontal orientation, but I would put the pepper off to one side a bit more. Not dead center.

Third, "Does the picture invoke feelings or have something that draws me in, engages me? How long did I look at it? This is the problem with still life subjects. How do we make them interesting? My suggestion here would be to add something to the image, tell a story. A sliced pepper and a knife on a cutting board or a red plate. ne_nau.gif

Fourth, "Originality and Creativity". Does this picture have something special? Not all pictures do, but if they do, it puts them ahead of the pack.

So, I'd go with the red, but add something special to it. Bright light from one side would give it some punch. A cut pepper with some juice drips would draw me in, make me hungry. Just throwing out some ideas you could try. Get creative! :D
    Nice critique Snap.. and I agree.. I like the red background definitely..
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2005
    snapapple wrote:

Thank you Snappy, for your very thorough critique. What began as a very unpromising challenge for me has turned into an interesting project. Still life does nothing for me and as you say I never find myself looking at it for very long so to work on the theme was a good challenge. So thank you for all the input. The results have deffinately improved, but whether they are of any merit is beyond me as I do not find the subject that interesting so let me know which is more interesting

16213580-O.jpg

16213581-O.jpg

Thank you Angelo and Lynn for your thoughts also
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Stan wrote:
    Thank you Snappy, for your very thorough critique. What began as a very unpromising challenge for me has turned into an interesting project. Still life does nothing for me and as you say I never find myself looking at it for very long so to work on the theme was a good challenge. So thank you for all the input. The results have deffinately improved, but whether they are of any merit is beyond me as I do not find the subject that interesting so let me know which is more interesting

16213580-S.jpg

16213581-S.jpg

Thank you Angelo and Lynn for your thoughts also

The second one! The pieces are more symmetrical and represent building blocks rather nicely, I really like the offsets and the color rendition.

Lynne
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2005
    Stan: These are a great improvement on the theme. I love the second one; better structure, IMHO. I hope you agree that cleaning up the rear shadow helped. I don't know how many peppers you have handy for this project (lol) but I would only suggest you now try the shot with attention to detail like drips, an errant seed, clean slices, etc. (Sorry, the AD in me is fighting to emerge, but only because I really like this) clap.gif
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Wow, great improvement. You took it and made it your own. Two very nice shots.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    Stan wrote:

16213581-S.jpg

Wow Sam! I like this one! No. 2.

When you look at it after seeing your first shot, you blink and do a double take. This one says something.

I love the total red with just one touch of green. So simple and such a strong impact. I like the uneven slices. They add interest. I find myself looking closer to see the tops of each slice. I don't know why. Maybe to see what's in the middle of the pepper. I like the single seed in front. It adds life to the shot. Makes the pepper more real. Without it the shot would be more sterile. This is not a "perfect" pepper. It's a "real" pepper. One that I can eat. I love it!
    And somehow the tilt and uneven slices sort of add a touch of humor. Almost like it's making fun of those perfect "still life" shots. It makes me think and feel all these things. thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2005
    Wow...I love what you've done with the place!
    Stan, your little "project" has turned into something quite exceptional! What I especially liked (besides the fantastic results) is the way so many gave helpful input. That is what community is all about...and Dgrin rocks in that regard! Now, get your *baby* entered...and best of luck to you!

Cheers!
    ~Nee :D

• Options
    edited February 21, 2005
    Nee7x7 wrote:
    Stan, your little "project" has turned into something quite exceptional! What I especially liked (besides the fantastic results) is the way so many gave helpful input. That is what community is all about...and Dgrin rocks in that regard! Now, get your *baby* entered...and best of luck to you!

Cheers!
    ~Nee :D
    And all because I listened to a bit of advice from you in the first place thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Stan: These are a great improvement on the theme. I love the second one; better structure, IMHO. I hope you agree that cleaning up the rear shadow helped. I don't know how many peppers you have handy for this project (lol) but I would only suggest you now try the shot with attention to detail like drips, an errant seed, clean slices, etc. (Sorry, the AD in me is fighting to emerge, but only because I really like this) clap.gif
    Thanks Angelo, I wiped all the seeds off the pepper cos I thought they looked messy and distracting, but I did wonder......
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2005
    lynnesite wrote:
    The second one! The pieces are more symmetrical and represent building blocks rather nicely, I really like the offsets and the color rendition.

Lynne
    thumb.gifthumb.gif Thanks Lynne
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    thumb.gif Stan, this is a very cool photo! I've missed your thread until now - great stuff!

16213581-S.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    thumb.gif Stan, this is a very cool photo! I've missed your thread until now - great stuff!

Thanks Wxwax thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Me too...thats a nice shot stan.