PW protected site + communities

jenniferjennifer Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited July 17, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I think I know the answer, but I'll ask anyway. I have a SmugIsland that is completely password protected. However, once in a while I'd like to share a gallery or two with a community. Is there any way to do this other than unprotecting the site and protecting the majority of galleries individually?
40D, 10-22, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 75-300 IS, 1.4x TC

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    The gallery settings can override the site settings. So set the gallery for Hello Smuggers=Yes and you'll be fine.

Won't work with a passworded site though :)
  • jenniferjennifer Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    So what you're saying then is basically unprotecting the site and protecting the majority of galleries individually? :)
  • HappySmuggerHappySmugger Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    jennifer wrote:
    So what you're saying then is basically unprotecting the site and protecting the majority of galleries individually? :)

Hi Jennifer, I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Remember that if you protect the majority of galleries, you'll lose user keyword functionality. You can still search by keyword when you're logged in, but the user can't. Also, family members can't see thumnails of password protected galleries so it is more difficult for them to navigate.

Take care!
    edited July 17, 2007
    Yeah, that's why I'm really put off by this option. I don't want a bunch of gallery thumbs with lock icons on them. I wish there were a reverse option to customize a gallery to be unprotected, thus overriding the site protection.
  • HappySmuggerHappySmugger Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    jennifer wrote:
    Yeah, that's why I'm really put off by this option. I don't want a bunch of gallery thumbs with lock icons on them. I wish there were a reverse option to customize a gallery to be unprotected, thus overriding the site protection.

Wow, that's exactly what I've been trying to do for the last two days. See my other threads. Is there any creative work around?
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    jennifer wrote:

I don't know if this solves your problem or not, but I thought I'd let you know that you can make the thumb lock icon go away just by selecting an image in the password protected gallery and picking "Feature Photo". That will make that image into the gallery thumb, even if the gallery is password protected. I do this all the time since I never want an empty gallery thumbnail.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited July 17, 2007
    Well whattaya know! I never bothered setting a feature photo on protected galleries because I didn't realize a thumb was an option. Thanks for the tip! clap.gif