Advice Using a AF28-80mm Lens

AngelaineAngelaine Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited July 18, 2007 in Technique
My husband just bought me a CANON EOS Digital Rebel XTi XT i 400D for our anniversary. Since this is all new to me, but I am really interested in learning, I'd appreciate any and all help taking photography using a Tamron AF28-80mm lens. I guess I am looking for suggestions as to what would be good to photograph using this lens and what might make interesting photos using this lens. Thanks so much for your help.
Elaine
There are always flowers for those who want to see them ~ Matisse

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    This is a nice,"most"-purpose, focal length on the 400D. I say "most"-purpose 'cause all-purpose would be something like the non-existant 10-500 f/2.8 IS mwink.gifrofl. But this makes a decent "walking around lens".

With a maximum aperture of 3.5, this will work very well for most things outdoors; landscapes, sunsets, kids in the back yard, portraits of friends and family - the options are almost boundless.

Indoors, there might be a slight problem as this lens is not very wide (short focal length) and is not very fast. If you have an external flash, you will do well. If not, getting something like the Canon 430EX or Sigma 500 DG would do very well. The on-board flash (the pop-up) can be good for fill light purposes, but has serious draw-backs as a primary light source.
  • AngelaineAngelaine Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    Thanks so much. I have seen already that not everything works with this lens. I would like to have more of close-ups.
    Elaine
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them ~ Matisse
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    Angelaine wrote:
    Thanks so much. I have seen already that not everything works with this lens. I would like to have more of close-ups.
    There are at least two different uses for the word "close-ups"

(1) Getting close to flowers, bugs, and other small stuff to fill the sensor frame. This is macro photography. For this close-focusing work, you need a lens that will .... well .... focuse close. A reasonably priced option might be the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 or the Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM.

(2) Filling the frame with someone's face. For this, you just need a decent "portrait" lens. Both the ones mentioned above will fill that bill. In addition, the Canon 85mm f/1.8 is another good choice.

These are lenses with which I am familiar (I have all three of them). There are others that are just as good or better.