Options

Southern Tasmania: Waterfalls & Architecture Photography

toadlettoadlet Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
edited July 22, 2007 in Landscapes
The Derwent Valley is located in the South of Tasmania and is a wonderful area rich in both natural and built environments for photography. I thought I'd share some photos, love to hear what you think.
Cheers.

The Oast Houses are a wondeful site in this region. They were used for drying out hops in the summer time, and there are many of them dotted around. Some have been converted into houses, whilst others have fallen into ruin.
174317231-L.jpg

This town hall is a nice design in Art Deco architecture. Here I used a wide angle lens to capture both the building and cross in the left and then converted to mono. I enjoyed the texture of the clouds.
174318439-L.jpg

Russell Falls is in the Mt Field National Park and is one of many lovely waterfalls in the area. Its best in the winter with more rainfall then. All shots were taken with wide angle lens.
174312846-L.jpg
174318301-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited July 20, 2007
    Comments?
    Anyone have comments on these series?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    Awesome photos #1 very cool looking building
    Would like to see the waterfall in color but all good

Fred
  • Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    Wow! These are beautiful. Especially the waterfall shots. thumb.gif I'm a real sucker for good waterfall shots. :D You did a good job using a longer exposure to create the silkiness in the water. Have you ever tried using an ND filter to allow really long exposures? The results can be pretty cool:

172539939-M.jpg

This was created using a 10 Stop ND filter. The eposure time was around 30 seconds, and that creates the cool movement in the water. If your camera can accept filters, you should see about getting one. mwink.gif

Oh, I'd like to see the waterfalls in color too. I bet they look great!

James
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2007
    Thanks
    Thanks for your kind words. Yes, I have and do use a ND filter from time to time. I didn't for these photos, as I was using my new wide angle lens that has a 77mm thread, so need to purchase a ND filter for this lens. I know what you mean that really do come in handy. I managed to get 1/2 second exposures of the waterfalls as its winter here and the sun is low, and also it was a overcast and late in the day. This helped as well. There have been a few posters now who have said that they would like to see the colour version of the waterfall, so when I get around to it I'll post one up and see what you all think of the two versions. I personally liked the mono photo.....
    jamesl wrote:
    Wow! These are beautiful. Especially the waterfall shots. thumb.gif I'm a real sucker for good waterfall shots. :D You did a good job using a longer exposure to create the silkiness in the water. Have you ever tried using an ND filter to allow really long exposures? The results can be pretty cool:

172539939-M.jpg

This was created using a 10 Stop ND filter. The eposure time was around 30 seconds, and that creates the cool movement in the water. If your camera can accept filters, you should see about getting one. mwink.gif

Oh, I'd like to see the waterfalls in color too. I bet they look great!

James
  • Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    toadlet wrote:
    Thanks for your kind words. Yes, I have and do use a ND filter from time to time. I didn't for these photos, as I was using my new wide angle lens that has a 77mm thread, so need to purchase a ND filter for this lens. I know what you mean that really do come in handy. I managed to get 1/2 second exposures of the waterfalls as its winter here and the sun is low, and also it was a overcast and late in the day. This helped as well. There have been a few posters now who have said that they would like to see the colour version of the waterfall, so when I get around to it I'll post one up and see what you all think of the two versions. I personally liked the mono photo.....

Cool! thumb.gif Rather than buy new ND filters, have you thought about getting a step down ring? I do that with the lenses on my 30D, and it works very well. They are also very cheap, and wide ND filters are very expensive! eek7.gif If you have a camera without a full frame sensor, you don't have to worry about vignetting from the smaller filters.

James
  • Options
    theinlawjosietheinlawjosie Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    Very nice shots! I love the conversion on #2 and the use of layers in #4 is completely awesome. Well done! clap.gif
    Shane

"Set the Gear Shift for the High Gear of Your Soul"
  • Options
    MikkoMikko Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    Toadlet, I really like number 2 and 3. The compositions are right on and the black and white are amazing. If you have some more? Let's see them.

MK