Redneck 4x4 Racing

dlibrachdlibrach Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
edited July 20, 2007 in Sports
I just posted this in another forum but thought some of my fellow dgrinners would like to seem them too. So here ya go....

Although sports is not my usual thing (more of the artsy fartsy/wedding type shooter), once I year I head out next to my friend's farm for a little Redneck Racing (that's what the drivers call it:)). Every year, I get covered in dust, drink a few beers and, almost run out of memory cards and worry that I've just killed all my gear....and I love it! This is without a doubt, one of the photographic highlights of the summer for me.

In the past, we've been restricted to the grandstand is for shooting. This year however, I decided to get in contact with the organization and they gave us (me and a couple of buddies) full access to the course and to shoot anywhere we wanted. Basically it is a bunch of locally enthusiast/volunteers who get together every few weeks and just race for the love of it.

The conditions were perfect this year with lots of dust, spills, flying tires and crashes. Thankfully the only injury was from one of the spectators who got too drunk, fell off his chair and rolled down the hill :D.

Hope you enjoy...

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. As I don't shoot this thing often, any C&C good or bad is appreciated.

174044248-L.jpg

174048854-L.jpg

174043082-L.jpg

174041542-L.jpg

174042112-L.jpg

174067521-L.jpg

174067832-L.jpg

174068910-L.jpg

174070382-L.jpg

174071963-L.jpg

174073426-L.jpg

Here's a 100% crop from one of the other trucks...maybe next year, I'll try this shooting position!!! :)

174071264-L.jpg

174074320-L.jpg

174076580-L.jpg

174079772-L.jpg

And if you are really bored, you can check the rest out
HERE

Comments

• WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    Great shots !!!
    You did a fine job . The first 1 is funny seeing the passenger hold on tight!!!
    Also , love the red chevy pics ..
  • RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    Good shots lots of action.

Ryan
    BMW Tech
    Live life to its fullest you never know whats in your future.
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • renay johnsonrenay johnson Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    #1 and #2 are my favorites!
  • dlibrachdlibrach Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    WildWally wrote:
    Great shots !!!
    You did a fine job . The first 1 is funny seeing the passenger hold on tight!!!
    Also , love the red chevy pics ..
    Thanks Walt. Yeah, some of the navigators looked scared sh**less during the runs!
    Papy wrote:
    Good shots lots of action.

Ryan
    Thanks Ryan
    #1 and #2 are my favorites!
    Glad you liked the first one Renay. Although a few of them are cropped from the original, the first is full frame and I was upset that I cut off the back of the truck. However, it was one of the better panning shots so decided to process it and post it anyways.

Cheers,
    Dave
  • photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    not your usual line of work....but you've really mastered the art of catching action with the pan...nice job!
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    I think every real man should attend at least one redneck 4x4 racing event. Something about taking your old beat up f150, installing window nets, mounting the radiator in the rear, flipping the headers over up out the hood, and letting it hang just screams "i'm a man!" rolleyes1.gif
  • dlibrachdlibrach Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    photodoug wrote:
    not your usual line of work....but you've really mastered the art of catching action with the pan...nice job!

Thanks Doug! I was experimenting this year with the panning. Last year I was just so excited and had just gotten a new lens and shot everything at F4 (which resulted in ridiculously high shutter speeds). The photos were great at stopping action but the cars didn't look like they were moving.ne_nau.gif I'm glad you enjoyed the pans.
    sirsloop wrote:
    I think every real man should attend at least one redneck 4x4 racing event. Something about taking your old beat up f150, installing window nets, mounting the radiator in the rear, flipping the headers over up out the hood, and letting it hang just screams "i'm a man!" rolleyes1.gif

You forgot about the beer! :slurp. Can't have 4x4 racing without beer!

Also, it apparently screams "I'm a woman" too. Below is a pic of the only female driver but there were a few woman navigators too.
    174049775-L.jpg
  • H e r bH e r b Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    I thought the guy holding the camera in the passenger seat was hillarious:D
  • crgphotographercrgphotographer Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    fantastic shots, love #13 especially. Looking at those exhaust pipes I wish those photos came with sound!

/craig.
    craig coomans | crgphotography | automotive | landscape | motorsport | weddings
    [
    crgphotography.smugmug.com ]