what takes precedence: control panel or gallery settings?

HappySmuggerHappySmugger Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited July 18, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I have my Control Panel settings for Hello World and SmugIsland set to "no indexing" and "no smugmug search"; in sum, I'm an island.

Some of my galleries have the setting for Hello World and Smug to ON. Does this mean I'm in danger of having those sites indexed? Should I go through and set each gallery to OFF?

Is there a help file on the differentiation on the control panel vs gallery settings?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    Gallery settings will override the CP.

More, here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/private-search-island
  • AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Gallery settings will override the CP.

More, here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/private-search-island

Hmm, true, but still leaves some confusion for lots of people.

More specifically, in "customize gallery" a YES for "hello world" or "hello smuggers" means essentially: Please use my control panel setting for this gallery.

In "customize gallery" a NO for "hello world" or "hello smuggers" means essentially: keep this gallery out of SmugMug searches and/or Google searches, regardless of what I have set in my control panel.

So, if you've already set "no" in your control panel, your "customize gallery" settings are irrelevant. If you've set some form of "yes" in your control panel, the "customize gallery" settings are a way to specifically exclude certain galleries from the searching you allow.

I hope that helps!

-Anne
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    Thanks Anne - I'm glad you clarified this!
  • papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    Most "Restrictive" setting takes precedence!
    I look at it this way, so hope it is correct:

If your Control Panel settings are "loose" ( YES, YES), this allows everybody on the planet to see your site...but a specific gallery setting that is "tight"/restrictive (NO) will override the site-wide setting for that gallery only.

If your Control Panel setting is "tight"/restrictive (NO, NO), indivual gallery settings are basically irrelevent because they do not override the more restrictive site-wide setting.