New and need advice

ohbebeartohbebeart Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited July 19, 2007 in Technique
Hello all - I am new to Smugmug and new to posting. I'm not a photographer, but I do use photography to show my artwork and in some cases, it's part of my artwork as a mixed media artist. Art has been a hobby for me, but I've decided to venture out a bit and get some exposure for myself.
My issue is that I want to take 'professional' looking pics of my artwork so I can post them on my website. Being the complete novice that I am, I am not sure how to best go about doing this. Each time I complete a piece, I like to photograph it, so I need a process that I can use as needed on the spot. Can anyone suggest some very simple techniques that will get me pro looking pics suitable for my website??

Thanks in advance.... you can see my 'photo skills' in my gallery. In some cases they are also my photos.

Comments

• Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    Consider trading
    I advise continue putting your energy towards your fine art and leverage the skills of a photographer. Consider bartering with a photographer--your works changing hands so to speak.
    There is a pretty strong correlation between money and quality when it comes to do-it-yourself photography, and that may not be what you have in mind.
  • ohbebeartohbebeart Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 19, 2007
    Miguel - thanks for your honesty. I know my photos of my work are very amaturish. I don't "know" any photographers to do as you suggest. I make no money from my work (as of yet), so I was hoping to do it myself. That being said, however, maybe I'll look around locally for someone willing to work with me. Any suggestions on finding people in my area that do this type of photography? I'm in Los Angeles.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited July 19, 2007
    ohbebeart wrote:
    Hello all - I am new to Smugmug and new to posting. I'm not a photographer, but I do use photography to show my artwork and in some cases, it's part of my artwork as a mixed media artist. Art has been a hobby for me, but I've decided to venture out a bit and get some exposure for myself.
    My issue is that I want to take 'professional' looking pics of my artwork so I can post them on my website. Being the complete novice that I am, I am not sure how to best go about doing this. Each time I complete a piece, I like to photograph it, so I need a process that I can use as needed on the spot. Can anyone suggest some very simple techniques that will get me pro looking pics suitable for my website??

Thanks in advance.... you can see my 'photo skills' in my gallery. In some cases they are also my photos.
    It shouldn't surprise you that "pro looking pics" are done by pros. But you shouldn't assume that you can't do it yourself. I doubt that there is any formula you can follow. Probably the best approach would be to post a few shots here that you feel do not show your work at its best, then let people give you feedback on what you might do to improve them.

Regards,