Options

Will You Sell A Client Pictures On CD???

Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
edited July 20, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
So far I have just sold prints but someone wants to buy a cd of all the images...would you do that? And what would you charge???
Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
BLOG

Comments

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    Cuties02q wrote:
    So far I have just sold prints but someone wants to buy a cd of all the images...would you do that? And what would you charge???

Yes. I currently charge $275 for a portrait session, and $600 for weddings.

Important to note I do not include ALL the images straight out of camera. Just the ones that I have already chosen to edit. The CDs are high-res unwatermarked files identical to their online proof gallery.

I also do not retouch (blemishes, special requests) images on CDs. Only proof delayed enlargements get that treatment deal.gif. If they have bought a retouched print then buy the CD, I am nice and put that image on the disc.

I bought a cheap ($20) custom disc label printing kit and affix a label with a full bleed image from their session on the discs, it adds a personalized touched and a perceived value for the disc [which cost 50 cents, and we all know they're not paying for that, but their faces light up when they see them, as opposed to an Office Depot CD with Sharpie markered on it.] I also put them in full DVD sized cases with my company's sticker on them instead of the Jewel cases. Just some ideas for ya!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2007
    Thanks so much Lynne =)

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2007
    Cuties02q wrote:
    Thanks so much Lynne =)

sorry to ramble....someone asked me that same question recently so I had all her follow up questions on the top of my head rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    Business is business. I will do anything if the price is right.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2007
    I am just not sure how much to charge headscratch.gif

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2007
    Cuties02q wrote:
    I am just not sure how much to charge headscratch.gif

How big was your biggest print order this year? Round it up or down, and there you go.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 18, 2007
    Cuties02q wrote:
    So far I have just sold prints but someone wants to buy a cd of all the images...would you do that?

As many times as this subject has been brought up in countless threads I've never stuck my nose in before but I just have to ask; why wouldn't you sell your client a CD?
  • Options
    tambolatambola Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    the photographer I work for does weddings & she charges 125 for engagement session proofs and a high-res cd. (the actual session costs 500 to start though.) on the other extreme, she charges 1200 for a high-res dvd with all images from any wedding package including edited and unedited.
  • Options
    Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    I would (and do, on a small scale) charge roughly what I would for the print, minus the cost of the print, plus the cost of the CD and additional time.

So if an 8x10 costs me 7 to print and I charge 15, I would put one on disk for 8 or so. Assuming I made the same detail adjustments to both. And like other orders, I'll offer a discount for volume (5 images on a disk for a discounted price of, say, 25 or 30, depending on how hard the PP was.)

I make the images hi-res JPEGs. If they want to print them at Wally World for additional cost and less quality, that's their deal. They'll know when the reds come out orange and deep brown eyes are black that they should have paid for my professional calibration and relationship with my printer. If they don't care, no harm no foul. Many folks just want images they can share on the web with their family and friends. WE love digital, we should expect others to, as well.

VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    i include 2 discs w/ the images from the event as part of my package. one with the images (plain) at 1600x1200; not full full res, but good enough for most prints. a second disc with the images at 640x480 (watermarked) - they can use the images for their desktop wallpaper or email.

despite this, i still manage to get my reorders from the bride and her family. i find that most of time, couples realize what a pain in the ass it is to manage print orders, so they just end up directing their friends and family to order them via my website.

it's win|win. they think they're getting this great deal; which they are. and then i still get my reorders because most people are lazy. :D of course, there are some that don't mind the pain in the ass to handle dozens of print orders... fortunately i haven't met any yet.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto