Test drove the Nikkor AF-S 105mm Micro VR today

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited July 21, 2007 in Cameras
I dropped into a local shop to take a look at the 105mm Micro VR which I actually have put on hold at Aden Camera in Toronto. This shop is about $20 more than the Aden price of $930 Cdn. What a lovely lens - so clear and crisp.
I've got a couple of newbie lens questions. First of all, I couldn't get the aperture down to 2,8 with my D40X on aperture priority while focusing on the back of the computer monitor (darkish light there - trying to get an idea re low light situation). Even when on full manual mode the sales clerk couldn't do it. Was I doing something wrong or is it specific to the D40x?
Second question ( and I hope this is ok to post) is what to ask about/look for in terms of customer service when buying these things? I asked the gent at this store (a chain store) if they would meet Aden's price. He said normally yes for any other place but not for Aden. He claims (and this is info he got second hand) that once out the door, if something is wrong with the lens, you are on your own. I double checked with Aden's and they will provide shipping to manufacturer if there's a problem during warranty. Should I be expecting more than that? I'd like to support local shops, it's more convenient and $20 difference isn't a huge amount but now I have a bad taste in my mouth re this guy talking negatively about Aden's especially without first hand experience.
Anyone in Canada run into problems with Aden Camera's service? Opinions about dealing with this local shop?:deal

Thanks for walking me through my learning experiences with this new addiction.
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• nttntt Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 19, 2007
    re: not getting to f/2.8

I've heard that these micro lenses automatically stop down when focussing anywhere closer than infinity. There's slightly more details on it here: http://www.bythom.com/105AFSlens.htm
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    Patti... Nikon micro lenses are best used for that, up close and personal macro/micro shots. They (and I speak for my 60/2.8d) really don't excel at distance or handheld wideopen shots... but are great stopped down and mounted on a tripod.

Are you still looking for your concert lens, and considering this lens? headscratch.gif
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    Patti... Nikon micro lenses are best used for that, up close and personal macro/micro shots. They (and I speak for my 60/2.8d) really don't excel at distance or handheld wideopen shots... but are great stopped down and mounted on a tripod.

Are you still looking for your concert lens, and considering this lens? headscratch.gif
    Chris, It was a suggestion instead of the 85mm (which would be manual focus on my camera) since this one is AF-S + VR. Still trying to decide whether to go 70-300mm VR this weekend or just use my 18x zoom Olympus and tolerate grainy photos since I'm not really close to the stage. I'd love to do some macro with this camera. I've tried some quasi macro with my Olympus which can focus at 2". This lens is SO clear.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
    edited July 20, 2007
    Patti wrote:
    Chris, It was a suggestion instead of the 85mm (which would be manual focus on my camera) since this one is AF-S + VR. Still trying to decide whether to go 70-300mm VR this weekend or just use my 18x zoom Olympus and tolerate grainy photos since I'm not really close to the stage. I'd love to do some macro with this camera. I've tried some quasi macro with my Olympus which can focus at 2". This lens is SO clear.
    OK... Well, I was just wondering about your use. And I suspect you may get respectable images from this lens at distance... but please understand/remember that this is is not its intended use. Since you can AF with it, and I suspect you'll find it useful for other shots... go fur it!

BTW, don't forget the 85 is a consistent f/1.8!!! No question about it! There is much to be said for fast lenses like this and the quality is one of the best. Just a "hint-hint"/reminder...

Keep us posted... thumb.gif
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    Yeah Chris but the 85mm is manual focus on my D40X ne_nau.gif. You think I should go for that instead or if I'm gonna spend big bucks (that I really don't have to spend) I should go for the 85mm 1.4?
    Hurry with your answer. I have to leave for toronto by 10 am local time tomorrow. eek7.gif

patti hinton photography
    edited July 21, 2007
    Well, I may be a bit late with this... Sorry.

But you seem to do OK with MF on that bod, and I think you'll find that extra stop allows for better handheld shots. But I think the 1.4 will have a narrower DOF and would make it a bit harder to get good focus. I have a MF 85/1.8 that is still very useable on a digi bod when it comes to focusing... and this is why my limit to f/1.8.

But, your call on this. Give me a ring if you need to, my ear still works... thumb.gif