Barn doors or snoot?

Roy MathersRoy Mathers Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
edited July 24, 2007 in Technique
Could someone kindly explain to me the pros and cons of barn doors versus a snoot when used, for instance, as a hair light in portraiture - or any other situation where you want a tightly controlled light? It seems that a snoot gives a tighter light, while barn doors are more versatile. Any advice please?

Comments

• davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    Could someone kindly explain to me the pros and cons of barn doors versus a snoot when used, for instance, as a hair light in portraiture - or any other situation where you want a tightly controlled light? It seems that a snoot gives a tighter light, while barn doors are more versatile. Any advice please?

Think of a snoot as a flashlight with a focused beam, somewhat like a mag-lite . I sometimes use a mini maglite with a bit of pvc tube on it to add some spot lighting when doing macro. My little pocket snoot.

With a snoot I get to control where I really want to add some specific light.

With barn doors I think of where I don't want the light to go. The flaps are used to exclude light from areas.

Cheers!
  • Roy MathersRoy Mathers Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    With a snoot I get to control where I really want to add some specific light.

With barn doors I think of where I don't want the light to go. The flaps are used to exclude light from areas.

Cheers!

Thanks for that, but aren't those two examples the same? (ie controlling where you want the light to go). Which of the two methods is the more precise?
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    Thanks for that, but aren't those two examples the same? (ie controlling where you want the light to go). Which of the two methods is the more precise?

yes they do similar jobs not the same exactly...exact only to the point that both are light controllers but the snoot controls the light as a beam, where as the barndoors are used to "cut" light off a portion of the scene and leaves a straight line shadow in the wake.........

to be more simplistic.....a snoot is to pin point light (as described above)...barn doors are actually used as stated above to keep light off of something and the rest of the light is normal a really broad light with a straight edge at the shadow area......and if you light focuses(strobes don't focus but some photogs use Freznel spots and they do focus as do elipsodial spots...these are both types of "hot" lights) then you can contol if the shadow is hard or soft..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Roy MathersRoy Mathers Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    yes they do similar jobs not the same exactly...exact only to the point that both are light controllers but the snoot controls the light as a beam, where as the barndoors are used to "cut" light off a portion of the scene and leaves a straight line shadow in the wake.........

to be more simplistic.....a snoot is to pin point light (as described above)...barn doors are actually used as stated above to keep light off of something and the rest of the light is normal a really broad light with a straight edge at the shadow area......and if you light focuses(strobes don't focus but some photogs use Freznel spots and they do focus as do elipsodial spots...these are both types of "hot" lights) then you can contol if the shadow is hard or soft..........

Thanks Art, tha's very clear. But - can pin you down a bit more? What would you use for the hair light in a portrait - snoot or barn door?
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    Thanks Art, tha's very clear. But - can pin you down a bit more? What would you use for the hair light in a portrait - snoot or barn door?

Errr....
    Whichever looks better to you ( or your customer) is the correct answer,