buying camera equipment in japan

wheresdavidwheresdavid Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
edited July 22, 2007 in Cameras
i just booked a trip to SE asia and i will be stopping over in japan for a week. it just occurred to me that i may be able to get a good deal on camera equipment there. I heard the mark III is about $3k. i was looking to lighten my backpack but if i could get a great deal on a lens or body, hmmmm.

has anyone bought a camera or lens there?

cheers,

Dave

Comments

• TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    i just booked a trip to SE asia and i will be stopping over in japan for a week. it just occurred to me that i may be able to get a good deal on camera equipment there. I heard the mark III is about $3k. i was looking to lighten my backpack but if i could get a great deal on a lens or body, hmmmm.

has anyone bought a camera or lens there?

cheers,

Dave

I've purchased quite a bit of equipment in Tokyo.

I find that USA prices are usually slightly better than Japanese prices for Japanese camera equipment. Check the prices first to make sure you can really get a much better price in Japan.

If Canon does their warranties the same as Nikon and you live in the USA, you won't be able to register your camera online and you will have to trust that Canon USA will honor the warranty. Save your receipt to prove that you purchased it in Japan and it's not a grey-market import.

If you do decide to purchase in Japan, be prepared that the salesperson probably won't speak English.

A benefit to purchasing at home is that you'll have time to learn the camera before you start your trip. I imagine the initial learning curve is steep on a Mark III.

Another benefit to purchasing at home is that you will have more time to exchange the camera if you have any initial problems.

Regards,
    Mike
  • photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    Photo Eqpt prices usually higher in Japan
    Tanuki wrote:
    I've purchased quite a bit of equipment in Tokyo.

I find that USA prices are usually slightly better than Japanese prices for Japanese camera equipment. Check the prices first to make sure you can really get a much better price in Japan.
    Agreed -- you'll likely do better at B&H, Adorama, Amazon, etc at home than in Japan. It's been a few years since I was last there, but at the time, the prices were higher there. ...Kind of like how American-made prescription drugs are more expensive in the U.S. than elsewhere mwink.gif, I guess.

...BTW, I'm in China as I write this and just picked up an awesome Chinese-made Benro carbon-fiber tripod and carbon-fiber monopod for less than they can be ordered over eBay (from Hong Kong distributors). And the cost was about half of what the U.S.-imported Benros (U.S. brand name "Induro") cost! So unlike Japan, one can buy locally-made eqpt here for less than in U.S. (but the bulk of our photo eqpt is still made in Japan)
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    I echo what the others have said about pricing. It seems that Japan has two different economies. One for the export market which is highly competitive and one for the domesitic market which is surprisingly expensive.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed