Options

art in the park

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited March 5, 2005 in Landscapes
i had a chance to zip into the park today, literally for about 20 minutes. it was packed with tourists, many wearing their orange coats and scarves and hats :D i'll say this: it's impressive, like one reviewer said, it's like someone used an orange highlighter to trace all the paths in central park.

here are a few shots, click on the pics for exif.

it's quite a sight, the thing that impresses first is the enormity of the project - they are *everywhere* in the park!
16099528-L.jpg

16099547-L.jpg

she was contemplating something.. or someone. love the heart there, etched in the stone.
16099501-L.jpg

there are a few more in this gallery

thanks for looking :D

enjoy (orange) photography,

Comments

• Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    Very nice Andy thumb.gif
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    Andy (goods shots BTW) what is that lens on the 2nd shot ? 17-40? or as wide as 10-22 ?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    I like that second shot. I am sorry, I just don't like the orange things, so I am pleasantly surprised when I see a photo of one or more that I like.

I like your second one.

ginger:):
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Andy (goods shots BTW) what is that lens on the 2nd shot ? 17-40? or as wide as 10-22 ?

16-36L, 'gus, which on the camera you're looking at, the 20d you'd need the 10-22 to get the same fov.

thanks mate
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    andy wrote:
    16-36L, 'gus, which on the camera you're looking at, the 20d you'd need the 10-22 to get the same fov.

thanks mate
    lol3.gif

& on a brighter note i was told yesterday that my daughter needs orthodontic braces now.

I didnt even ask the price

If anyone wants me i will be over at orthodontic ex-camera users.com :cry
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    lol3.gif

& on a brighter note i was told yesterday that my daughter needs orthodontic braces now.

Straight teeth are really very overrated. Sounds like you need to get your priorities straight:D instead!
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Straight teeth are really very overrated. Sounds like you need to get your priorities straight:D instead!
    Can you buy 'L' teeth ? I would be happy with that.

Am yet to do the 2nd opinion thing as our last dentist said she had perfect teeth.ne_nau.gif

I suppose its 2 months research & procrastination on braces now.1drink.gif & what new models are due out.

Sorry andy...as you were.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2005
    I'm glad you got your 20 minutes in the park
    I like this one the most, although the others tell the "story" better! You got some nice colors going on too! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

16099547-L.jpg

there are a few more in this gallery

thanks for looking :D

enjoy (orange) photography,[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2005
    the somerville gates
    heheh thanks dee thumb.gif

the anti-christo is here
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2005
    Where do you find this stuff!
    andy wrote:

the anti-christo is here

That was just too funny, and the cat is gorgeous! I had a cat like that, still miss her.

Do you think he has too much time on his hands? Laughing.gif

Thanks for the link, it made me chuckle. It's raining -- AGAIN, and rather dreary today, more rain until Tuesday... hopefully just showers off and on.

But hey, the first iris of my deck top garden is blooming!
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2005
    Andy I can't tell you how many memories I have of the exact spot where the girl is reflecting in the last photo.. I coudln't wait to see what you did with the Gates and I wasn't disappointed
  • Options
    EnochEnoch Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2005
    andy wrote:
    The stats are extra great!

Great images, 2 and 3 especially. I'm curious, is the second one boring with it all color?
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Andy I can't tell you how many memories I have of the exact spot where the girl is reflecting in the last photo.. I coudln't wait to see what you did with the Gates and I wasn't disappointed

thanks labs :D it's especially hard to shoot something like this differently than the other 5,598 photos that are out there lol3.gif
  • Options
    mslammersmslammers Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Andy
    andy wrote:

the anti-christo is here
    Very nice. Captured the movement and magnitude (M&M)
    clap.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    andy wrote:

the anti-christo is here
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

That's a great link!

Love your second shot, Andy. Great movement and perspective. thumb.gif I'm glad you went, it gives me a different perspective on the event.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    I choose door #2, oh I mean photo #2. Call me stupid, uninformed or just living in SoCal, but where's the snow? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    I like all three for different reasons... love the first one and the last one..I was wondering what you'd do with it.. it's not easy to shoot in my humble..clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Hi Andy,
    I love #2. Love the curves and the motion!

I also like number 7 in your gallery. It really gives a good idea of the scope of the whole thing.

After reading the stats on the link you provided. (So funny!) I'd have to say it looks like a huge waste of money to me. He's not impressing us with art, but with his folly. He's probably sitting back and laughing at how many people will flock to see another of his crazy demonstrations of excess spending for "art".
    I guess some art just goes over my head.

Great shots! Glad you could go and share it with us.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    mslammersmslammers Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    Thanks for capturing those for us. The TV and news did not do a very good job of really showing the gates. I have a better perspective now.:):
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    Um,Im in the dark here.Can someone tell me what the gates are all about.
    Nice captures and all,but Im not getting it ne_nau.gifdunnone_nau.gif
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 21, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    Um,Im in the dark here.Can someone tell me what the gates are all about.
    Nice captures and all,but Im not getting it ne_nau.gifdunnone_nau.gif
    The artist Christo has a history of erecting huge municipal art installations that always involve fabric. About 15 yrs ago he covered the hills of central CA with yellow umbrellas; more recently he did "fences" and still again he wrapped a bridge (I think). You should look him up. Even if you don't like the work you have to appreciate the monumental effort that goes into the projects.

http://www.christojeanneclaude.net/
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    lol3.gif

Laughing.gif Gus,
    Awwwww, you didn't need a Dslr anyway ne_nau.gif I was tempted to do-it-myself on my youngest. She talks too much as it is. So I was going to use barbwire for her braces. I figured it would take care of two problems lol3.gif I wound up sending her to the Orthodontist rolleyes1.gif I figured with crooked teeth and scarred lips, I'd never be able to marry her off rolleyes1.gif I mean, that way, her future hubby would have to be blind as well as deaf :lol

Seriously, it costs a bundle but most Ortho's will allow you to do a payment plan. So you still might be able to squeeze a Dslr into your budget mwink.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 22, 2005
    Andy,

Nice captures of Christo's gates thumb.gifthumb.gif Kind of like those Hearts of SF, all around San Francisco. Well, cept these are all in one location. I wish he would have used different colors. But, he's the artiste and I'm not.....lol

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    andy wrote:

the anti-christo is here
    Now that is funny!!! Someone clearly with too much time on their hands.rolleyes1.gif

mitch
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    I'll probably get in trouble again...
    seeing how well my "quote of the week" post went over...

But at least I'm not alone :D ...

ginger_55 wrote:
    I am sorry, I just don't like the orange things ginger:):
    I don't mind orange per se, but it sure seems like a waste of it here. And, once again, for me anyway-"The emporer is naked".

My favorite shot is the last one, IF you cropped out all those red blurry things in the background....

Seriously, the shot with the girl on the bridge (cropped a bit tighter) is my favorite.

Thanks for sharing these.
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    ahhh...another gal after my heart!
    snapapple wrote:
    I'd have to say it looks like a huge waste of money to me. He's not impressing us with art, but with his folly. He's probably sitting back and laughing at how many people will flock to see another of his crazy demonstrations of excess spending for "art".
    Funding? Did someone mention 'public funding' for the arts? I hope not....

snapapple wrote:
    I guess some art just goes over my head.
    Not at all, snapapple, not at all! Some 'art' is just, well, er...headscratch.gif , you know...

To each their own I guess....
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    Mongrel wrote:

My favorite shot is the last one, IF you cropped out all those red blurry things in the background....

Seriously, the shot with the girl on the bridge (cropped a bit tighter) is my favorite.

Thanks for sharing these.

hehehe mongrel lol3.gif

this one's my fave of the bunch i took. thanks for stopping by and the comments :D
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    Mongrel wrote:
    Funding? Did someone mention 'public funding' for the arts? I hope not....

Not at all, snapapple, not at all! Some 'art' is just, well, er...headscratch.gif , you know...

To each their own I guess....
    Where did you see any mention of public funding? You didn't.

The two artists accept no payments nor donations for their work. In fact they pay for everything themselves. Nor do they allow volunteers to work on the projects; everyone is paid for their time. And beyond that they allow charitable organizations to benefit from their work with rights to sell articles from the installations.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    Dear Angelo...
    Relax-take a breath....in....out...
    Angelo wrote:
    Where did you see any mention of public funding? You didn't.

The two artists accept no payments nor donations for their work. In fact they pay for everything themselves. Nor do they allow volunteers to work on the projects; everyone is paid for their time. And beyond that they allow charitable organizations to benefit from their work with rights to sell articles from the installations.
    Now, I was merely referring back to the *mention* of *excess spending* in the thread above mine. That is all. In my own crooked way, it was 'funny' because whenever art and funding are mentioned 'public' funding of the arts comes up.

I do sincerely appreciate your clarification of the details of this man's work and how he funds it. I am VERY happy that it comes out of his pocket. I hope ALL of it (like the cleanup from all those addtional people wandering through Central Park, or any police OT that may be necessary to over see the erection and disasembly of it, etc.) comes out of his or his supporters pockets.

Charity is good....

Paid help is good...

ART is good....

Angelo is good

thumb.gif

Peace, friend.....
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    I invite you to learn more about this pair of dedicated artists who have done a pretty remarkable job of raising environmetal consciousness around the world since the 1960s. If you refer to my post somewhere higher in this thread you'll find a link to a web site that tells everything about them. And thanks for keeping an open, balanced mind - artist to artist.