Options

The Road to Wisconsin

TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
edited August 25, 2007 in Journeys
After 20 years, I finally attended my first BMW MOA rally. This would constitute a 5,000 mile round-trip to Winsconsin and back, and I was more than excited to plan and execute this journey. Along with my riding partner Brad, I departed California at 4:30 a.m. Saturday, July 7th, my 46th birthday.

175088933-M.jpg

Here I am navigating a really fun road, Hwy 12 out of Escalante, Utah. Note the sheer drop off on both sides of the road.

175090669-M.jpg

This isn't Brad. I'm not sure of his name, but this nice gentleman was eating breakfast with his friends at the McDonald's in Lamar Kansas. He's the original owner of this /6 and it was in showroom condition. He offered no resistance when I asked for a picture.

We stopped in Dodge City to check out Old Town, a major tourist trap and recreation of the original western town.

175093080-M.jpg

175095832-M.jpg

175096312-M.jpg

175096459-M.jpg

This is Aaron, one of the characters who inhabits Old Town. When he saw our BMW T-shirts he introduced himself. He has a '93 R100GS PD, his daily commuter. He hit a deer about six months ago, but he and the bike are fine. The deer, not so well.

175097056-M.jpg

Brad heading north on the 81 into the storm outside Salina, Kansas. It was heading east and we almost outran it.

175098537-M.jpg

Truth in advertising.

175101579-L.jpg

Dinner at Whispering Oaks outside Boone, Iowa.

Shortly after we arrived at the rally in West Bend. That was a fun four days, but those pictures are for another thread.

We left the rally on Sunday, riding through Wisconsin and into southern Missouri.

175103136-M.jpg

Astride the GSA overlooking the mighty Mississippi in Missouri.

175105122-M.jpg

South Dakota. Need I say more?

175106904-M.jpg

Founded in the year I was born, Cabela's is an impressive retailer. We don't have them in California. Perhaps most impressive was the dynamic taxidermy display.

175109182-M.jpg

Badlands.

175109603-M.jpg

I've seen the bumper stickers for years, but never really knew the story of Wall Drug. If you don't, look it up. It's a really impressive, multi-million dollar-a-year business in Wall, SD, in the middle of absolutely nowhere.

175111194-M.jpg

175114470-M.jpg

Black Hills, SD.

175113226-M.jpg

I'm sure you recognize these fellows. We visited at night when they light the monument, though it doesn't photograph as well in artificial light.

175114056-L.jpg

Following the lighting ceremony at Mt. Rushmore, all veterans (and those who lost loved ones in service to our country) were invited to the stage. Following a flag-lowering ceremony, the folded flag was passed from one veteran to the next until it was presented to the ranger. Stirringly patriotic.

After heading into Wyoming, we took in some of the many sights in Yellowstone.

175118102-M.jpg

175118840-M.jpg

175121794-M.jpg

175120764-M.jpg

175122978-M.jpg

Yellowstone is not to be missed. We spent about four hours there, but four days wouldn't be enough. I'm going back soon.

175123397-M.jpg

From Yellowstone we left Wyoming, headed briefly into Montana, then into Idaho. We had planned to ride into Nevada to Ely then Tonopah, but a fellow rider warned us about swarming Mormon crickets (actually shieldbacked katydids) that caused a 15-mile greasy, sticky ride with bugs flying in and out of helmets and jackets. Instead we butt-burned down the 15 logging 850 miles before collapsing in Mesquite. From there a short ride home.

5,200 miles, a great trip, a wonderful rally, and great, great memories.

Thanks for reading. The rest of the pictures are here: http://www.snc1923.smugmug.com/gallery/3181439
"Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site

Comments

• Options
    banjonbanjon Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    Hi

Very nice adventurous trip. Great travel log :)
  • Options
    emmalouemmalou Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    What a fabulous trip!! I love living vicariously through all of your journeys.......iloveyou.gif

Love the Buffalo!!!!
  • Options
    MYSTICAMYSTICA Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    very "on the road" thumb.gif
    thanks for sharing these amazing landscapes!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited July 22, 2007
    You're missing a couple from the rally :D

I came across UT 12 last year. Holy moly; what a gorgeous ride!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    I'm glad to see someone else that doesn't mind putting miles on the bike.

Great trip log. It's kind of unnerving to be that close to those huge buffalo on a bike, isn't it? They are known to chase down bikes...usually loud ones though.

The only time I've been to Yellowstone was the year after the big fire. It looks like its recovering well.

Thanks for the pics, good job... Ride safe
    Randy
  • Options
    zigguratziggurat Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 26, 2007
    Congratulations!!!
    Great!!!thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
  • Options
    kangamanguskangamangus Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    Very nice pictures!

I love the story, must of been a blast of a journey!
  • Options
    Artur C.Artur C. Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2007
    I love the description (as a rider myself) when someone says they almost outran a rainstorm. How often I've used that line myself getting into a rest stop soaked from head to toe. Great shots.

http://artur.smugmug.com