Snoqualmie Pass CC Please

leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
edited July 21, 2007 in Landscapes
These are some of my favorite pictures taken last weekend from near my campsite at Snoqualmie Pass in Washington. I tried to practice some techniques I learned here at Dgrin, but still don't think I was able to capture the real feel of the place, so any CC is greatly appreciated. I did learn a lot just 'doing it'; using a tripod and shutter release, using natural light, trying to compose the shot (learned in PP about brush in the foreground!). Practice, and more practice, I suppose is the best teacher.

All these were shot with a 20D and an EF-S 17-85 Lens in RAW. Obviously, I need help with my WB skills. So...off to read some Dgrin threads about WB...

#1 F/7.1 1/80th ISO200 70mm

173759871-L.jpg

#2 F/7.1 1/13th ISO200 41mm

173760224-L.jpg

#3 F/8.0 3/10th ISO100 20mm

173760569-L.jpg

#4 F/8.0 3/10ths ISO100 85mm

173760492-L.jpg

#5 F/8.0 3/10th ISO100 60mm

173760335-L.jpg

#6 F7.1 1/13th ISO200 83mm

173760060-L.jpg
And finally, on a personal note.

#7 My Campsite with a PS Infrared Effect

173759751-L.jpg

There are more shots in this gallery, with BW conversions if anyone wants to look and tell me what I am doing wrong (or right, for that matter), so I can improve my captures.

Thanks for in advance for any CC
Growing with Dgrin

Comments

• philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    leaforte wrote:
    These are some of my favorite pictures taken last weekend from near my campsite at Snoqualmie Pass in Washington. I tried to practice some techniques I learned here at Dgrin, but still don't think I was able to capture the real feel of the place, so any CC is greatly appreciated. I did learn a lot just 'doing it'; using a tripod and shutter release, using natural light, trying to compose the shot (learned in PP about brush in the foreground!). Practice, and more practice, I suppose is the best teacher.

All these were shot with a 20D and an EF-S 17-85 Lens in RAW. Obviously, I need help with my WB skills. So...off to read some Dgrin threads about WB...

#1 F/7.1 1/80th ISO200 70mm

#2 F/7.1 1/13th ISO200 41mm

173760224-L.jpg

#3 F/8.0 3/10th ISO100 20mm

#4 F/8.0 3/10ths ISO100 85mm

#5 F/8.0 3/10th ISO100 60mm

#6 F7.1 1/13th ISO200 83mm

And finally, on a personal note.

#7 My Campsite with a PS Infrared Effect

There are more shots in this gallery, with BW conversions if anyone wants to look and tell me what I am doing wrong (or right, for that matter), so I can improve my captures.

Thanks for in advance for any CC

Ok since you asked.

I'll start at the bottom. I like the composition ok but I would guess that it would be better in color to show the greens but than again I like green forests.
    Of the others I like #5 and #6 and I was going to say that they're to bright but that might be because I'm on my laptop so I can't say that for sure.
    On white balance since you're shooting raw wb is just a flag in the file. Just leave wb on auto when shooting in raw and use the wb temperature slider in adobe raw converter.
    -Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    Phillip

Thanks for your response. I will see about darkening these all I guess. Traditionally, I always tend to shoot a bit underexposed, so I raised the exposure just a hair on this set. I suppose I've over compensated. (sigh). Thanks for helping me try and get these right.
    Growing with Dgrin

• chopskychopsky Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    Honestly, I think your biggest weakness at the moment is composition.
    When I set up for a photograph, I always say to myself, "How would Joe Bloggs take this photo?" and then I do something completely different. Like, if I think someone is gonna take a photo standing up, I'll do it lying down.
    It's all about doing something unique.

No offense, but I reckon thousands of people have taken photos just like yours. What makes yours unique? That's the question.

I always try tell a story with my photos. A story for the eye to follow. Lead the person into the photograph somehow. Perhaps a long path starting from a corner of the photo, leading into the subject at another end of the photograph. Also, read up on the rule of Thirds. It'll help with your comps.

As for your B&W Infrared conversion, it needs a boost in contrast. It's very gray. Play with the levels, curves and contrast.
    More like the attached:
    Currently Using:
    body: canon 400d
    lenses:
    50mm 1.8 & 10-22mm

Grant Shapiro Design & Photography
  • emmalouemmalou Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    I like #4thumb.gif You live in an area that is chalk full of photo ops!
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    I like the pics, #2 & #4 are my favorites. You might consider using a circular polarizer if you find yourself shooting this scene again, it might help with some of the glare off of the rocks.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    Thanks for the comments. I have taken every tip too heart and will try them next time out. I know there is a way to bring home a piece of the magic I see while out there hiking!
    Growing with Dgrin