Indoor Basketball Advice

quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
edited July 24, 2007 in Sports
I am not a sports photographer, so I am hopeful a few of the experts here can help me out. What equipment/techniques do you use to get nice sharp pictures for indoor basketball (high school)?

Specifically:
- What lenses work best? (body is Canon 20D)
- Tripod?
- Would 200mm get you close enough for the action?

I don't even typically attend games like this so I am open to all advice.
heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
facebook
photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.

Comments

• aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2007
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    Thanks. That addresses many questions, but I was hoping for more specifics on what lenses the forum shooters have had good luck with. Are most of your content with the 100mm mentioned in the tutorial? 200 mm too much?
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • vt1122vt1122 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    For indoor basketball the fastest lens possible. I usually use either the 50 1.4 when under the basket or 70-200 2.8 if I'm further away. Lighting in high school gyms is going to be terrible.
    An 85mm 1.4 would be my dream lens, which would give you about 125mm with the crop factor. You won't need a tripod since you are going to have to keep your shutter speeds up to freeze the action anyway. The other thing is the white balance under those fluorescent lights most gyms have. Still working on that one myself. The 85 1.8 is also a good choice and a lot less cost than the 1.4.
  • cecilccecilc Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    quark wrote:
    ... more specifics on what lenses the forum shooters have had good luck with. Are most of your content with the 100mm mentioned in the tutorial? 200 mm too much?

I have shot basketball - at one time or another - with the following lenses:
    * 85 1.8
    * 100 2.0
    * 135 2.0
    * 28-70 2.8
    * 80-200 2.8
    * 400 2.8

They all work fine for basketball .... as far as I'm concerned, there is not one of them that I would consider too "long" for the sport. Now, having said that, I actually "prefer" the 85 1.8 and the 135 2.0 for high school gyms. For better lit venues, I'll go with a 2.8 lens.

In high school gyms, the real "killer" is the lighting - it's terrible !! Uneven coverage; cycling lights; and weird color casts .... it's just the worst ! If you can, strobe whatever gym you're shooting - it'll give you "daylight" quality light and will allow shooting at lower ISO's and at 4.0 or 4.5 to get a little more depth of field. Your shutter speed needs to be a minumum of 1/250 (and I prefer it at 1/400). Anything less than 1/250 and you will get motion blur .... If you're shooting with strobes, most likely you'll be shooting at 1/250 anyway since that's the speed most cameras sych at.

Good luck ...
    Cecil
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Photos at SportsShooter
  • RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    if you can stand under the basket the sigma 30 1.4 works nicely

120926400-L-2.jpg