Photoshop CS3 Action Help

W00DYW00DY Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
edited July 26, 2007 in Finishing School
Hi All,

I have created a watermark which I want to apply to all my images before posting to the web. It is a long and tedious task to open each image copy and paste the watermark and then reposition.

Is there a way I can use an action to ask which file i want to open, then copy/paste/position the watermark, then save the file (working in JPG), then close the file and ask for the next file?

Appreciate any help you can offer...
:D

Comments

• GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    Actions for watermarking
    W00DY wrote:
    Hi All,

I have created a watermark which I want to apply to all my images before posting to the web. It is a long and tedious task to open each image copy and paste the watermark and then reposition.

Is there a way I can use an action to ask which file i want to open, then copy/paste/position the watermark, then save the file (working in JPG), then close the file and ask for the next file?

Appreciate any help you can offer...
    :D

Maybe the easiest way would be to select the photos you want to mark in Bridge, then run the action from the automation menu. It's simpler to build the action to run off a selection.

Do you need help with building actions in general? A good book is CS2 Speed Clinic - available through Overstock at a better price than Amazon. There was also a good article in Photoshop User (a few months ago) dealing with putting a watermark in the center of any size photo from an action....or I can write you up some instructions...

- Gary.
  • W00DYW00DY Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    Maybe the easiest way would be to select the photos you want to mark in Bridge, then run the action from the automation menu. It's simpler to build the action to run off a selection.

Do you need help with building actions in general? A good book is CS2 Speed Clinic - available through Overstock at a better price than Amazon. There was also a good article in Photoshop User (a few months ago) dealing with putting a watermark in the center of any size photo from an action....or I can write you up some instructions...

- Gary.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the info. I know very little about creating actions, I think I did one before but that was from copying a tutorial.

The other thing I was thinking of, and I have no idea if it can be done, is can you make the watermark a brush and just paste it onto the image when I am finished editing it?

Not sure which way would be better, if you could right some instructions for the automation in bridge that would be good, I don't use bridge but I could if it is easier.

Cheers Mate.
    edited July 23, 2007
    I'll get it posted later today or tomorrow
    W00DY wrote:
    Hi Gary,
    Not sure which way would be better, if you could right some instructions for the automation in bridge that would be good, I don't use bridge but I could if it is easier.

Cheers Mate.

An automation out of Bridge will be the easiest way to go. I also think the best automation for what you're doing is a step-by-step right out of the Photoshop User from a couple of months ago. I'm traveling today with my family, but I'll post the instructions when I get home later tonight or tomorrow.

In the mean time...buy this book: CS2 Speed Clinic You will find it VERY useful (you don't need to follow the link, but I put there to make it easier).

- Gary.
  • LAB.ratLAB.rat Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    Not sure if it's exactly what you would want, but RB has a good vid about it which I think will be sufficient for you.

Digital Watermark Branding
    www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html

Something that would come close as well is here:
    www.ps-scripts.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=299
    It's a batching system that has a stop in it to do something you need to do manually. You then continue and it saves and gets the next file out of your folder. If you pick good shortcuts, you can work very quickly with it.

A lot of the more advanced stuff that actions can't do is often possible with scripting. It's not easy to get into and addictive as well, so stay away :Dmwink.gif
    edited July 23, 2007
    (sorry, double post)
  • W00DYW00DY Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    Thanks for your help guys... I have it working pretty well at the moment using an action and then batching. A few little quirks with the saving part of it but I can work around them.

Cheers.
    edited July 24, 2007
    The batch dialog has some counterintuitive parts, yes, if that's what you mean...

I usually record a save or export step in my action, then leave every checkmark off in the batch dialog, except for a checkmark on Override Action "Save Action" as commands... (which sounds wrong, but isn't).

You'll then always be sure it's saved with your specified jpg quality, instead of being asked for it once, or even being forgotten to be asked about it...
  • S. HortonS. Horton Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    @lab - Try the image processor option in CS3; easier to use than the clunker action-without-a-tail batch, IMO.
    edited July 24, 2007
    I practice some moderate PS-Scripting at times, so I know most of these delicious goodies that I wouldn't wanna be without :ivar Totally forgot about that one here though..., so thx (and still not in CS3 yet..., hope my CS2 links translate well)
    edited July 26, 2007
    Found the article
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    An automation out of Bridge will be the easiest way to go. I also think the best automation for what you're doing is a step-by-step right out of the Photoshop User from a couple of months ago. I'm traveling today with my family, but I'll post the instructions when I get home later tonight or tomorrow.

In the mean time...buy this book: CS2 Speed Clinic You will find it VERY useful (you don't need to follow the link, but I put there to make it easier).

- Gary.

Ok...found the article. It's in Photoshop User - April / May 2007 pgs. 44-46 - "Automatically Watermark Photos of different sizes and orientation in one action". It's also in the book I mentioned above (speed Clinic). The only thing I got wrong was the author's name...it's Kloskowski. Have at it!!!!

- Gary.