Options

Color or Black and White

cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
edited March 5, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've put a couple shots up in Pathfinder's We need more Black and White thread, but I've got a couple shots that I'm not sure if they would work better in color or black and white. Soooo, I thought I'd start a new thread to put up images in both color and black and white to get other people's opinions on what works for a particular image.

Here goes:
2636246-M.jpg

or

2636062-M.jpg

2631364-M.jpg

or

2636248-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited March 1, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    I've put a couple shots up in Pathfinder's We need more Black and White thread, but I've got a couple shots that I'm not sure if they would work better in color or black and white. Soooo, I thought I'd start a new thread to put up images in both color and black and white to get other people's opinions on what works for a particular image.
    Cletus - I prefer the abandoned house in B&W as there is no color there anyway and B&W gives a more intriguing mysterious feeling - But you might reshoot the house when there are no shadows on the house itself - I find the shadows on the house distracting.

The grape vines on the fence row I prefer in color because of the contrast between the blue of the river and the green of the fence posts - Here color seems to play a significant role - cooling calming quieting - and I find this missing in the B&W version. YMMV of course.lickout.gif

Nice idea for a thread tho - Great idea .... I also find that I try many of my pictures both ways AC/DC so to speak B&W vs RGB eek7.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2004
    After I played with the images themselves in my photo software I liked both in B&W over color.

I am not sure but it looked like just for demonstration purpose Cletus used just a desaturate or grey scale convert.
    I find using just that is not enough for me to render a decision. I need to go through the full conversion.

It must be a creative thought flaw in my brain, (one of many brain flaws) because I cant envision it, so I have to build it.

Funny I never have a problem envisioning having a cold beer. Go figure?

Cheers,
    Tim

• Options
    edited March 1, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    After I played with the images themselves in my photo software I liked both in B&W over color.

I am not sure but it looked like just for demonstration purpose Cletus used just a desaturate or grey scale convert.
    I find using just that is not enough for me to render a decision. I need to go through the full conversion.

Tim,

I used zero-zero's two adjustment layer b&w conversion method. Maybe I just didn't do a very good job! Feel free to post your conversions up here if you like them better. I'd love to see what you did differently.

-Eric
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Tim,

I used zero-zero's two adjustment layer b&w conversion method. Maybe I just didn't do a very good job! Feel free to post your conversions up here if you like them better. I'd love to see what you did differently.

-Eric
    I did not mean to be critical there I am sorry if I did or I put my foot in my mouth.
    However when I downloaded your color and your black and whites I found that just grey scaling your color was not much different (in my eyes)than your black and white result so I worked on them myself. Both copies I did not save however I did go back and recreate what I did in the first place , on the house.

2636062-M.jpg2637506-M.jpg

Yours to the left mine to the right. With a slight tone in this ,which can be adjusted . I can give it other tones without any detail change.
    Notice the contrasts between shadow and light also I feel there is more detail in what I did.

Again this is only what my eye sees as better and I am old and shortsighted:D

Tim
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2004
    Tim,

That looks really good. That's the kind of stuff I was hoping for when I started this thread!

-Eric
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2004
    I convert photos constantly,in fact I spend way to much time in my photo editing software just doing minor tweaks .
    Great thread I like these threads because I learn so much.

I am not sure which I like better either in these two, I want to return an reshoot the subject as well.

2637951-M.jpg

2637952-M.jpg

I have mixed feelings on this shot B&W vrs Color.

Tim
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    I convert photos constantly,in fact I spend way to much time in my photo editing software just doing minor tweaks .
    Great thread I like these threads because I learn so much.

I am not sure which I like better either in these two, I want to return an reshoot the subject as well.

2637951-M.jpg

2637952-M.jpg

I have mixed feelings on this shot B&W vrs Color.

Tim
    Hi Tim.. to me both these shots are great. Lots of drama in the black and white and great warmth in the color. I think it would depend on the mood as to which one appealed at the time. I love both.:D
    lynn
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited March 1, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi Tim.. to me both these shots are great. Lots of drama in the black and white and great warmth in the color. I think it would depend on the mood as to which one appealed at the time. I love both.:D
    lynn
    I like the B&W better than the color because the warmth of the color, to me, clashes with the snow on the ground - The B&W cooler quality seems more appropriate with the snow YMMV of course
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2004
    Shakes, I think the B&W is streets ahead of the color. More contrast, sharper, the door and the windows in the center really draw-in the eye... a totally different and more effective image.

What method are you using for converting color to B&W?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Shakes, I think the B&W is streets ahead of the color. More contrast, sharper, the door and the windows in the center really draw-in the eye... a totally different and more effective image.

What method are you using for converting color to B&W?
    Well, it is kind of my own since you all seem to use photostop and I use a corel program.
    But my biggest breakthrough was just recently when Andy of Moonriver fame
    posted his Grand Central Station light pictures. He posted a super color and then a fantastic Black and White of the same shot. I downloaded his 2 shots I then converted the color and started converting to match his black and white.(I used his pictures only for this ,I then deleted them )
    He really put some nice tones in his conversion.
    I used this with some links to other sites on B&W conversions like this one http://www.photo-i.co.uk/index.html
    I then fiddle with my photo editing to some similar degree.

For instance, I used to desaturate for B&W and I also used to use just grey scale. Now I convert to grey scale (8bit) then I convert that to RGB color ( 24 bit).
    The picture is still Black and White but I have more options for enhancing.
    I then can use my tone adjusters for Black point, mid point and White point.
    Pressing on my control key gives me a look at original for comparison.
    Here I can tweek shadow ,overexposure lighten or darken skies etc...
    I then sharpen just a little .

If I like it I keep it then I go to color balance and I adjust sliders to achieve the tone/tint I want for the photo.(this I found by trying to emulate Andy’s shot.) I constantly look at B&W that are contest winners or editor choices and try to see how they achieved this or that.

Some shots I take are in B&W originally so I can see how off GS and DS are from true? B&W.

I dunno, I am just experimenting improvising and trying to learn. I have only been doing this (digital photography)for 2 months now so consider my methods with a heavy grain of caution hehe.

Cheers ,
    Tim
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 2, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    I did not mean to be critical there I am sorry if I did or I put my foot in my mouth.
    However when I downloaded your color and your black and whites I found that just grey scaling your color was not much different (in my eyes)than your black and white result so I worked on them myself. Both copies I did not save however I did go back and recreate what I did in the first place , on the house.

Yours to the left mine to the right. With a slight tone in this ,which can be adjusted . I can give it other tones without any detail change.
    Notice the contrasts between shadow and light also I feel there is more detail in what I did.

Tim
    Shakes,

While demonstrating the change in contrast, you've come upon an interesting
    derivation of the original. I think it looks pretty cool.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2004
    b&w (or is that b m w?)
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 2, 2004
    fish wrote:
    b&w (or is that b m w?)
    Or color?

965854-M.jpg
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    fish wrote:
    b&w (or is that b m w?)
    Or color?
    b m w ... sorry. I mean b and w
  • Options
    zero-zerozero-zero Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Tim,

-Eric
    That technique is just the beginning of the game, to get a greyscale image that's better than a simple desaturate. Once you're there, the fun begins.

As a rule of thumb, I find most conversions to B&W benefit from a healthy kick in contrast to begin with.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2004
    Here's another one:
    2682875-M.jpg

or
    2682876-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Here's another one:
    2682875-M.jpg

or
    2682876-M.jpg
    Black and white is my choice here, I hope you dont mind Cletus I am a compulive converter it seems.

I cropped it as well, now I'm stepping on wxwaxy's toes too.umph.gif

Tim
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    Black and white is my choice here, I hope you dont mind Cletus I am a compulive converter it seems.

I cropped it as well, now I'm stepping on wxwaxy's toes too.umph.gif

Tim
    I don't mind at all. I really need to work on my B&W conversions!
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2004

I agree; his seems softer while yours pops out. I haven't done any color->BW conversions recently (not since I had to write my own software to do it :-), but I'm likely to do some soon since I'm shooting a wedding in 2 weeks. What did you use to convert? What tone did you introduce?
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2004
    Jim its hard for me to explain since I use Corel and not Adobe.
    But from what I read it is similar to using the curves in Monochrome?
    It involves adjusting black mid and white points some brightness ,contrast and intensity. Then adjusting color balance for a desired tone. That is the shortened version.
    Tim