LPS question about addendums to submissions

leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
edited July 22, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I noticed that a few of the entrants in LPS #9 have included refrains, or stanzas, or even 'instructional' quotes to help clarify their posted entry. I personally study the submissions without words first, then go back and read what the artist included to help me, and see how close I came to the artists instructions. I even try not to see the title first round, then go back and say, 'yeah, that is right on'...or not, which is occasionally the case. Of course my entries are never close to the mark of a winner, but I try, and wondered if I should be including the words that may have inspired me. These addendums are cool and add a dimension, so i just want to know if it's OK to share that inspiration with submission, and do the judges count the addendum with the photo?

I'm just curious.
Growing with Dgrin

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    leaforte wrote:
    and do the judges count the addendum with the photo?

I'm just curious.
    Nope.
  • stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    leaforte wrote:
    I noticed that a few of the entrants in LPS #9 have included refrains, or stanzas, or even 'instructional' quotes to help clarify their posted entry.

I was thinking about this a few minutes ago as I went over the submissions thread. (Being one of the guilty parties lol) I have decided that the picture should speak for itself first and foremost - even if the message taken from the picture is other than what I had originally intended it to be. I'm not sure why I feel the need to clarify my pictures to be perfectly honest headscratch.gif maybe just because I tend to be obscure generally speaking and need to clarify my visions IRL a lot of the time :D . I do it a lot, not just here Laughing.gif. Heck I think I'm doing it now rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif .

At any rate, I was just debating whether or not to remove the opening refrain from my submission. Your post has pushed me that direction, I think. Maybe I'll still leave a snippet at the bottom just so people might better 'get' where I was going with something - in part because a lot of the time I like to get into people's heads to see where they were going with something (it helps me develop creatively I think). I love reading what has inspired other contributors iloveyou.gif
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    I decided after reading this to remove my quote. I don't feel the photo needed any embellishment, and it wasn't used to win or explain my photo, rather it is just a subject I feel very strongly towards. (And I loved the quote!). :D
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    Just a note.

Saurora, IMO your submission is out of hand...excellent: One of my favorites, and doesn't even need a title to be a winner to me. The quote gave us a little peek at the artist, and that adds a wrinkle that is cool.

And Stirfry, I like your shot, and thanks for the link to an artist that I may never have discovered if not for you.

Spread the word I say.

LPS is such a great gallery of photo talent, and you all just spice it up. I just wondered if the word/photo inclination was OK with the MODS, because it definitely doesn't distract.
    Growing with Dgrin

• TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    Animals
    Saurora,

I like the submission. I began volunteering with animal control a couple of years ago and interestingly enough, it is what renewed my passion for photography (photos for adoptions). It is nice to see others also helping out!
    edited July 22, 2007
    leaforte wrote:
    Just a note.

Saurora, IMO your submission is out of hand...excellent: One of my favorites, and doesn't even need a title to be a winner to me. The quote gave us a little peek at the artist, and that adds a wrinkle that is cool.

And Stirfry, I like your shot, and thanks for the link to an artist that I may never have discovered if not for you.

Spread the word I say.

LPS is such a great gallery of photo talent, and you all just spice it up. I just wondered if the word/photo inclination was OK with the MODS, because it definitely doesn't distract.

Thanks Leafort...I assumed from other submission it was ok...but after purusing the rules (again!) I decided to remove it and not take that chance. I certainly do want to "spread the word" and that is why I chose this subject. Thanks for your comments. thumb.gif
    edited July 22, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    Saurora,

I like the submission. I began volunteering with animal control a couple of years ago and interestingly enough, it is what renewed my passion for photography (photos for adoptions). It is nice to see others also helping out!

Travis thanks and glad to know you're out there volunteering! clap.gif
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Thanks Leafort...I assumed from other submission it was ok...but after purusing the rules (again!) I decided to remove it and not take that chance. I certainly do want to "spread the word" and that is why I chose this subject. Thanks for your comments. thumb.gif

awesome cause Susan, I considered doing something on overpopulation myself, just never got the chance! You did the cause justice with your photo and title, for sure. but the best thing is that people are making statements with their photos! That's way cool!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    I typically don't notice much beyond the photo until I am working up my feedback. So any embellishments would only serve to entertain or enlighten the viewer of the work outside of the judging activity. There is no need to add it or to remove it if there already. That is entirely left up to the artist and what they want to do.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie