Scratch on sensor surface

dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
edited August 19, 2007 in Cameras
Seems I have a small horizontal line that will not go away, and is visible on the surface of the sensor when I open the shutter. Canon 30D.

Any way to fix this or am I done for?

Frustrated...

Comments

• photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    dugmar wrote:
    Seems I have a small horizontal line that will not go away, and is visible on the surface of the sensor when I open the shutter. Canon 30D.

Any way to fix this or am I done for?

Frustrated...

I'd call Canon. It sounds permanent. But if it's under warranty, maybe they'll help you out with it...

Good luck! That sucks.
  • dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    Just did, they say send it in. We will see. I bought it in Aug. '06! Just in time.

Fingers crossed...
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 28, 2007
    The scratch really isn't on the sensor but the filter that covers it (which is
    removable). The jist is if it is scratched, it shouldn't be too expensive to
    fix.

Good luck!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2007
    Time to turn that bad boy into an IR BEAST. mwink.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 29, 2007
    mr peas wrote:
    Time to turn that bad boy into an IR BEAST. mwink.gif
    Oh Yeah!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited August 8, 2007
    Wooo hooo!!!! clap.gif Good news so far. Sounds like they could change their mind if they wanted however.

We have received your equipment for evaluation and repair. Based on our initial examination, we will start the necessary repairs at no charge to you. You can expect the repair to be completed and returned back to you within approximately 7 business days* from the date shown above. There is no need to respond to this notice.
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Perfect! Ask them instead of normal hot filter, replace it with an IR one. haha.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Dugmar, did you try a wet cleaning, like the Copperhill method? I have found many 'scratches' are just dirt that won't blow or brush off... Recommend a few wet cleaning attempts before panic sets in....
    edited August 10, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    Dugmar, did you try a wet cleaning, like the Copperhill method? I have found many 'scratches' are just dirt that won't blow or brush off... Recommend a few wet cleaning attempts before panic sets in....

I sure did. To no avail. I've also found wet cleaning tends to leave little water spots that for the life of my will not go away. Maybe my technique? No idea but it seems as if I would make it worse, even with a dry follow-up.
    edited August 17, 2007
    Got the 30D back. Canon fixed the scratch, factory cleaning, firmware update, next day air shipping... No charge.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 17, 2007
    dugmar wrote:
    Got the 30D back. Canon fixed the scratch, factory cleaning, firmware update, next day air shipping... No charge.

You just gotta love that! thumb.gifthumb

Go Canon! clap.gifclap
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited August 17, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    You just gotta love that! thumb.gifthumb

Go Canon! clap.gifclap

Customer for life now.
  • ZeeZee Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    dugmar wrote:
    I sure did. To no avail. I've also found wet cleaning tends to leave little water spots that for the life of my will not go away. Maybe my technique? No idea but it seems as if I would make it worse, even with a dry follow-up.

Probably just a little too much Eclipse on the swab, that's all. I use the same methods and it usually takes a try or two to get it perfectly clean but you should never get "water" spots on your filter.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    dugmar wrote:
    Check out my post in this thread (llink)- it's a technique I've used for at least a year and, so far (knock on wood), I've had nothing but success!
    edited August 19, 2007
    Well, went to an air show yesterday and after taking a bunch of shots of the sky... the scratch is still there. Time to call Canon.