Odd click thru behavior when searching

ForeFrontPhotoForeFrontPhoto Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited July 25, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hi guys. I'm not sure if it's supposed to work this way, but I have two galleries, one is set to smugmug view the other all thumbs. When searching and I click on a photo from the gallery with the smugmug view, it shows me the photo I selected. If I click on a photo in the gallery with the all thumbs view, it brings me to the gallery main page instead of the actual picture. The url seems to point to the photo, but it's not working. Is this as designed? Thank you.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    Hi guys. I'm not sure if it's supposed to work this way, but I have two galleries, one is set to smugmug view the other all thumbs. When searching and I click on a photo from the gallery with the smugmug view, it shows me the photo I selected. If I click on a photo in the gallery with the all thumbs view, it brings me to the gallery main page instead of the actual picture. The url seems to point to the photo, but it's not working. Is this as designed? Thank you.
    Hi Greg, give us the exact sequence of steps on your site please, okay?
  • ForeFrontPhotoForeFrontPhoto Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 24, 2007
    no longer happening
    Of course this is no longer happening. Once I set a keyword or caption, should the search be available immediately or is there some indexing or other operation that takes some time? I have set keywords which don't show up in the "keywords matching" search, but do under the "photos matching" section. http://forefrontphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/3189859/1/176093695/Large has a keyword of "1207", but doesn't show when searched.

Edit: I guess it takes some time because it is all working now. Sorry for crying wolf...
    edited July 24, 2007
    happening again
    I'm sorry to keep going back and forth, but this seems to be happening again. I have keyworded several photos with 3146. If you go to www.forefrontphoto.com and search for 3146, it brings back 11 photos. If you click on any of these, it brings you to the gallery main page instead of the full image view.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    I'm sorry to keep going back and forth, but this seems to be happening again. I have keyworded several photos with 3146. If you go to www.forefrontphoto.com and search for 3146, it brings back 11 photos. If you click on any of these, it brings you to the gallery main page instead of the full image view.
    Hi Greg,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I see what is happening. Personally I can see this being intended behavior as well as unexpected behavior. I'll discuss it internally and see what the general idea is. I'll post something when I know more.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you at this time.
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    I see what is happening. Personally I can see this being intended behavior as well as unexpected behavior. I'll discuss it internally and see what the general idea is. I'll post something when I know more.

I have a similar issue on my site too. I have a video gallery, set to the traditional style in order to show captions, since the thumbnails all look nearly identical.

When one of those videos shows up in search results, clicking on the thumbnail brings up the correct page of the gallery, but not a direct link to the video.

Same issue for my entire site when viewed in the traditional style (Smugmug style doesn't work on my work computer...). Click on a popular photo from my homepage and it brings up page 1 of the popular photos list, not the photo that was actually clicked.

http://pilotdave.smugmug.com

Dave
    edited July 25, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Greg,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you at this time.

Could you please explain why this would be the intended behavior? Also, I would think my search would show the photos under "keywords matching" and not "photos matching". Is this how it should work? If so, can you explain why? Thanks a bunch.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    Could you please explain why this would be the intended behavior? Also, I would think my search would show the photos under "keywords matching" and not "photos matching". Is this how it should work? If so, can you explain why? Thanks a bunch.
    Hi wave.gif

The reason why I can see 'intended behavior' is this; Clicking on the photo from a search result takes you to the gallery that holds that photo. The photo ID is part of the URL and with a Viewstyle where one image is featured (SmugMug, Critique, Filmstrip) that photo shows up as 'the main image'. However, the gallery that has 'all thumbs' forced doesn't have a 'main image' so it doesn't show up. If we were to bring that specific image up, it would actually be a different viewstyle (SingleImage) and not the 'forced' viewstyle (all thumbs). I hope that makes sense.

The search results page gives back several results. They are really the results from different searches.
    • SmugMug Keywords matching 'X'
      This gives you all the keywords that are found in the SmugMug system that match your query
    • SmugMug Users matching 'X'
      This gives you all the users that are found in the SmugMug system that match your query
    • SmugMug Galleries matching 'X'
      This gives you all the galleries that are found in the SmugMug system that match your query. Name and gallery keywords can pay a role here.
    • SmugMug Photos matching 'X'
      This gives you all the photos that are found in the SmugMug system that match your query. The photo must have a keyword or be captioned by the word(s) that you searched for.

let's say you have a gallery that you keyworded with "airplane". The photos that you uploaded to that gallery do not have any captions/keywords whatsoever. When you search for 'airplane', the gallery will show up as a search result, but the images will not as the images do not match the query.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions.
    edited July 25, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    The reason why I can see 'intended behavior' is this; Clicking on the photo from a search result takes you to the gallery that holds that photo. The photo ID is part of the URL and with a Viewstyle where one image is featured (SmugMug, Critique, Filmstrip) that photo shows up as 'the main image'. However, the gallery that has 'all thumbs' forced doesn't have a 'main image' so it doesn't show up. If we were to bring that specific image up, it would actually be a different viewstyle (SingleImage) and not the 'forced' viewstyle (all thumbs). I hope that makes sense.

This does make sense. I guess my confusion is the search shows both galleries matching X and photos matching X. I would think clicking on a result in "galleries matching" would take me to the gallery and "photos matching" would take me to the photo.
    ivar wrote:
    The search results page gives back several results. They are really the results from different searches.
    • SmugMug Keywords matching 'X'
      This gives you all the keywords that are found in the SmugMug system that match your query
    • SmugMug Users matching 'X'
      This gives you all the users that are found in the SmugMug system that match your query
    • SmugMug Galleries matching 'X'
      This gives you all the galleries that are found in the SmugMug system that match your query. Name and gallery keywords can pay a role here.
    • SmugMug Photos matching 'X'
      This gives you all the photos that are found in the SmugMug system that match your query. The photo must have a keyword or be captioned by the word(s) that you searched for.
    let's say you have a gallery that you keyworded with "airplane". The photos that you uploaded to that gallery do not have any captions/keywords whatsoever. When you search for 'airplane', the gallery will show up as a search result, but the images will not as the images do not match the query.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions.

This does help, thank you. The airplane example above makes sense and works just as you explained. In my scenario, I have shot a regatta and want to keyword the photos with their respective boat number. I have done this for boat 3146. When I search for 3146, it doesn't show under the "ForeFront Photography's keywords matching '3146'" section.
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    If we were to bring that specific image up, it would actually be a different viewstyle (SingleImage) and not the 'forced' viewstyle (all thumbs). I hope that makes sense.

Which would be the correct behavior. Just like when you click on a thumbnail in an 'all thumbs' gallery, you view that picture in the singleimage view. Search results should work the same. Smugmug needs to be smart enough to know what style that gallery is being viewed in, and change the destination URL accordingly. The way it works now is, in my opinion, a bug.

SmugMug has a great interface which I think is easy to use and navigate. I think a few items were overlooked or ignored, which are very un-smugmug-like. This is one of them. It makes certain parts of my site hard to use. My visitors don't care about a technical complication with having multiple viewing styles. Heck, most of my visitors have no idea what that little dropdown in the top right corner that says "SmugMug" on it means.

Dave