Digital Camera Settings vs Specfic Film Types

samsplacesamsplace Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
edited July 26, 2007 in Cameras
Hi

I was reviewing my camera settings on my digitial rebel XT. I found camera settings for Velvia slide film look, portrait,cloudy day,and B&W suggested settings. I am new to photograph of any type digital or film, as fare as the technical aspects.

My question is "are their any other digital camera settings that can be related to film types such as Velvia?":dunno

I have tried velvia both on my camera and in the raw processing of my digital images down loaded to my computer. The images appear to look good both in the printed format and on my compute.

Gil
Take Nothing But Memories:rofl
Kill Nothing But Time :clap
Leave Nothing But Footprints :thumb

http://www.samsplacephotos.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 24, 2007
    samsplace wrote:
    Hi

I was reviewing my camera settings on my digitial rebel XT. I found camera settings for Velvia slide film look, portrait,cloudy day,and B&W suggested settings. I am new to photograph of any type digital or film, as fare as the technical aspects.

My question is "are their any other digital camera settings that can be related to film types such as Velvia?"ne_nau.gif

I have tried velvia both on my camera and in the raw processing of my digital images down loaded to my computer. The images appear to look good both in the printed format and on my compute.

Gil

Digital imagers and film have no direct correlation to each other. They are completely different technologies. Any similarity in appearance between the two is because someone decided that a particular quality or trait could be identified in the film counterpart, and mimicked or simulated in digital.

The degree to which they succeeded in that simulation is entirely open to interpretation and individual perception. "You" get to decide how well anyone's digital processing approximates a particular film, and how appropriate the effect is to your particular task.

If by "Velvia" you mean a particular film as Velvia could be had as:

Velvia 50
    Velvia 100
    Velvia 100F

... each with its own qualities and characteristics, then you would describe three different effects and we would have to know which one you mean.

If you mean "... a world of beautiful colors, exquisite tone and rich textures." as defined by Fuji, only you can decide. mwink.gif

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/proPhotoProductsFujichrome.jsp?NavBarId=item778705
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Digital imagers and film have no direct correlation to each other. They are completely different technologies. Any similarity in appearance between the two is because someone decided that a particular quality or trait could be identified in the film counterpart, and mimicked or simulated in digital.

You're right, similarities to film are going to have to be simulated; digital camera sensors react very differently to light across their dynamic range even if you ignore color sensitivity differences.

But you can certainly mimic films. I have a certain set of Photoshop adjustments I tend to use to emulate TMAX film, for instance, but it's much more difficult to emulate unusual color films such as the Velvia line. There are, however, products specifically designed to do this across a variety of films, eg Exposure by AlienSkin:

http://alienskin.com/exposure/index.html

This product is worth investigating if you miss your Velvia.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com