Buying Locally vs Saving some $$

largelylivinlargelylivin Registered Users Posts: 561 Major grins
edited August 2, 2007 in Cameras
Now that I've spent over three grand to get into this new digital age, I want to ask something that I've always meant to ask. I know that a lot of you buy from someplace like B&H where the price, quality, and service all converge at saving money without putting it at risk.

Until recently I have been out of this photography thing since 1989 when I had to pack-up my not too modest darkroom and move to beautiful NJ. I haven't taken a 4x5 or medium format photo since then and had deteriorated into the typical vacations and holidays snapshot taker. So, I am out of touch but catching up.

I have a good local camera store Le Camera here in Princeton that sells pro and consumer pro and deals in a lot of used equipment which is what they are best known for. If you politely challenge the owner with the current Internet price he will usually not match it but will compromise.

I decided to go this route for some obvious reasons: I get to touch the products. Expert advice (and he does have experts there), and particularly concerning compatibilitiy issues etc.

Benefit. A 3 month old sigma zoom developed some sticky, drag like mechanism problems. They took care of shipping it off for warranty repairs and lent me an equivalent lens. They have said that I can borrow any used equipment that I want, and I know some local long-term pros that frequently borrow something they need for a special project, whatever.

Before I go on another spending spree.....Is my logic right? I haven't added up what this goodwill and 'benefits' has cost me and I'm not sure I want to know. Tell me that I am being foolish and I'll get out the calculator.
Brad Newby

http://blue-dog.smugmug.com
http://smile-123.smugmug.com
http://vintage-photos.blogspot.com/

Canon 7D, 100-400L, Mongoose 3.5, hoping for a 500L real soon.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 24, 2007
    I tend to buy used stuff from "wherever" I can get it, but I tend to buy new from one of the respected B&H, Adorama, etc. sources.

In the end, do whatever seems right for you and forget about what everyone else thinks.

Whatever gets you to creating great photographs is what matters most.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    I think the other factor for you is that you have a good local store that carries pro type goods.

Many of us (perhaps even most) do not have any local stores that carry anything worth looking at. Beyond Best Buy or a Ritz Mall Camera store, there isnt really a credible photography store around me. So, I buy everything mail order and I have chosen B&H as my supplier of choice for many of the reasons you mention.

Of course, you have the advantage of a local store with good knowledge - I would gladly trade that for a few dollars any day.
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    Well... you are within driving distance of BH. If you have never been there, i suggest you go one of these days. You get free parking if you make a purchase. You can also take the train in... right off washington ave there in princeton. I'd say BH has some experts there as well.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I tend to buy used stuff from "wherever" I can get it, but I tend to buy new from one of the respected B&H, Adorama, etc. sources.

In the end, do whatever seems right for you and forget about what everyone else thinks.

Whatever gets you to creating great photographs is what matters most.

15524779-Ti.gif

I do both. I have the blessing of several good shops near me (an independant pro shop, a Samy's, and a Calumet). I'll give them a look to see if they're competitive first--generally in the order I listed--then hit the net for the big retailers (B&H, Arodama, Sigma4less, Buydig). If online is significalty less, that's where I go, if the local B&M shop is close I'll tend to go with them. The local pro shop has even beaten the 'net on a couple of occasions, though not usually--when shopping for my 24-70 they basically said they couldn't buy it for the price I got. On the flip side, Samy's had the 70-200 for the same price as the 'net plus no tax that weekend--no brainer & a win-win. So it's worth looking both places for me.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited July 24, 2007
    I've done both.

I live in the Boston area, and I bought my SLR - a Canon Digital Rebel XT (yes, a first SLR) - locally. I went to Hunt's Photo & Video, and I spent a lot of time there talking, feeling cameras & lenses, getting information. I think the sales rep half expected me to buy online instead of getting the camera and my two initial lenses there. But he had spent quite a bit of time with me, and he provided what I considered to be good information. Yes, it probably would have been a little less online, but I couldn't ignore the level of service he provided.

I bought a new zoom lens just a few weeks ago, and I got it from B&H. Yes, Hunt's is still available, but the length of time it takes to drive there factored in to my "buy online" decision. Plus their web site didn't show any of the lenses I was interested in. (I saw an ad from Hunt's several weeks after the fact that showed that they did have the lens - a lesson to the shops in my mind is that if they have a web presence that it should represent their stock, not just some of it!).

Back to B&H. I ordered a lens, tried it, realized it didn't match my needs, returned it with no problems, and ordered another. They filled my orders quickly, there was no problem with obtaining an RMA to return the first lens, and they issued a credit for that return quickly. And yes, I'll buy from there again. Customer service means a lot to me, and B&H delivered that in addtion to my new toys.

--- Denise
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    i forgot to mention that im addicted to mail order and love waiting for the UPS truck rolleyes1.gif
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    Zanotti wrote:
    I think the other factor for you is that you have a good local store that carries pro type goods.
    I agree. If you don't have a good local store then by all means shop mail order / Internet. I'm a fan of buying locally unless the local store isn't worth getting my money in the first place. But I do have a great local camera store and I will buy from them, even if it costs me more $$$, because of the benefits of local service and selection.

I do the same with stereo equipment, where I buy from my local high-end retailer, who is fantastic, rather than try to get it grey market import. The cost savings isn't worth it.

Its not always about money, people. :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    I would give my eye teeth to have near me a store like you have. In the last year, I think I've spent something close to $12K, all mail order. Most have been very good purchases, but there have been a few mistakes as well. I would have to believe that had I had the benefit of a local expert, I might not have made some of those mistakes. That kind of advice is worth it's weight in gold and well worth more than I might have paid for my equipment from a local seller.

You are particularly blessed in that the owner of the store will sometimes compromise on price. You have the best of both worlds going for you there. I would strongly council you to continue to spend you money there. You are getting fantastic bang for your buck!
    edited July 25, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    I agree. If you don't have a good local store then by all means shop mail order / Internet. I'm a fan of buying locally unless the local store isn't worth getting my money in the first place. But I do have a great local camera store and I will buy from them, even if it costs me more $$$, because of the benefits of local service and selection.

I do the same with stereo equipment, where I buy from my local high-end retailer, who is fantastic, rather than try to get it grey market import. The cost savings isn't worth it.

Its not always about money, people. :)

15524779-Ti.gif I did the same with much of my HT gear. The guy at the local shop was so helpful I didn't even consider going online; there was a second shop with a similarly helpful guy, but ended up not carrying any of the stuff I ended up wanting & I really tried to like the gear they carried as they certainly earned the business. ne_nau.gif
  • S. HortonS. Horton Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    Good post -- I think too many people miss the opportunity for a local relationship with value.

I bought the following locally:
    - 100-400
    - 24-70
    - 15 fish
    - CFs, remote release, tripod, monopod......

...for exactly the same reasons you did, and it has worked with the same benefits. Any problems, I just drive back, exchange, done.

So now I know them, they tend to take care of me even if the store is extremely busy.

Plus, they provide shooting advice, location suggestions, tips on technique, all of it worth real money.

What they do not stock is anything over ~$2K, which means the 300 f/2.8 L IS, Mark III, must come from B&H.

All other business has been B&H, save one AMAZON transaction passed to Adorama.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    S. Horton wrote:
    What they do not stock is anything over ~$2K, which means the 300 f/2.8 L IS, Mark III, must come from B&H.
    Since you have such a good relationship with the store, would it be worth your time to special order it through that store?

I really, really envy those of you who have a really good store within driving distance.
  • S. HortonS. Horton Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    ^^ No, because at that level the price difference is $300+ and I'd have to wait longer than I would with B&H. Plus, if I did get a flawed/broken 300, I'd want the B&H process of return plus overnight.

I am surprised that you have nothing in Newport News, VA. There's a biz opp for someone.
    edited July 26, 2007
    Since you have such a good relationship with the store, would it be worth your time to special order it through that store?

I really, really envy those of you who have a really good store within driving distance.

Well..I don't have A good store within driving distance...I have three that I know of. blbl.gifbadblbl.gifbinge:tiptoe
  • GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    Helping out the local guy
    Being 30 minutes out of NYC, I'm B&H-Spoiled...most of my large purchases come from there...however, there's a lot to be said for helping the local guy stay in business. I used to live in Great Neck and did a bit of business with KenMar (now further out on Long Island)...got to know the Ken of KenMar who turned me on to a lot of good used equipment.

Yes, the local guy may cost a little more, but it's usually a small price for convenience, personal relationships, and having a guy who knows and looks out for you.
    sirsloop wrote:
    i forgot to mention that ... love waiting for the UPS truck
    Man, that strikes a chord with me! There's something VERY special about that brown truck...gifts and toys!!! :)

- Gary.
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    I live in the boonies, but there is a decent camera store about 45 min. away and a REALLY nice one about an hour and 15 minutes away. I also visit Chicago a lot because my in-laws are there, so I could go there.

I am HUGE into buying locally, so I really try to frequent the shop that is 45 min. away. I think it's a huge benefit to have a relationship with a store, and also to support the local economy. I recently paid $50 more for my 85 1.8 because I wanted to buy it at our local store.

That being said, I am planning to buy my home studio equipment online. The store just doesn't have the selection I need, plus, when you are buying that much stuff the savings you can get at B&H is too hard to pass up.

So, I buy locally when I can, but sometimes I cheat and buy online. :)