My first outing with my Macro...

ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
edited July 26, 2007 in Holy Macro
(with my dad's help of course :) )

Ok, so a while back I went home for the fourth. My dad got me a 100mm Macro Prime, and I was having a lot of trouble with it at first (that depth of field is really wicked to deal with). But the more I fiddled with it, I had more fun. Plus it helped that my dad was there to hold my flash for me :)

Anyway, here are a few of my favorites from fourth weekend, which was my first real attempt with the lens. Any advice or critique would be great.

Warning, I chose the large format. Mostly cause I didn't know any better. If I'm supposed to use a smaller version let me know.

172035645-L.jpg
172035742-L.jpg
174866632-L.jpg
172036706-L.jpg
172350775-L.jpg
172350743-L.jpg
172352279-L.jpg
172353297-L.jpg
175870748-L.jpg
172353360-L.jpg
172352362-L.jpg
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    wings.gif Congrats ! very nice photos looking for more clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    wings.gif Congrats ! very nice photos looking for more clap.gif

Thanks :) I may revist the local green house on campus with the macro. My first outting was limited to regular glass.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    ccpickre wrote:
    (with my dad's help of course :) )
    Ok, so a while back I went home for the fourth. My dad got me a 100mm Macro Prime, and I was having a lot of trouble with it at first (that depth of field is really wicked to deal with). But the more I fiddled with it, I had more fun. Plus it helped that my dad was there to hold my flash for me :)

Anyway, here are a few of my favorites from fourth weekend, which was my first real attempt with the lens. Any advice or critique would be great.

Warning, I chose the large format. Mostly cause I didn't know any better. If I'm supposed to use a smaller version let me know.

Ohhhhhh cool you got someone to hold your flash.......now why didn't I think of that rolleyes1.gif sometimes you just need those extra pair of hands when doing Macro nod.gif

My favourites in this lot are the 3rd shot and the last shot clap.gif

You've done extemely well, the more you use the gear the better you will get thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited July 24, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Ohhhhhh cool you got someone to hold your flash.......now why didn't I think of that rolleyes1.gif sometimes you just need those extra pair of hands when doing Macro nod.gif

My favourites in this lot are the 3rd shot and the last shot clap.gif

You've done extemely well, the more you use the gear the better you will get thumb.gif .... Skippy :D

Well, my dad is trying to teach me the splendor of getting the flash off the camera :) It did help.

The white spider though was done with no flash cause I didn't think of it.

I wasn't sure about the 3rd photo because it was really windy that day, so the bee drifted slightly and with a much much much shallower depth of field, the head went out of the focal range too easy. So I wasn't sure to post it cause it kind of takes away from it I think, but I still like that he's cleaning his tongue thing.

I'm still trying to find some cool things to shoot with it though. You can only take so many bugs and flowers before they get redundant :)
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 24, 2007
    ccpickre wrote:
    Well, my dad is trying to teach me the splendor of getting the flash off the camera :) It did help.

The white spider though was done with no flash cause I didn't think of it.

I wasn't sure about the 3rd photo because it was really windy that day, so the bee drifted slightly and with a much much much shallower depth of field, the head went out of the focal range too easy. So I wasn't sure to post it cause it kind of takes away from it I think, but I still like that he's cleaning his tongue thing.

I'm still trying to find some cool things to shoot with it though. You can only take so many bugs and flowers before they get redundant :)

For your first foray into macro, I think you did quite well. Good color, good comps, nicely focused by and large. What's not to like?

The white spider may have been shot without flash, but the light is quite dramatic side lighting, with long shadows. Do you like the dramatic lighting or not?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited July 25, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    For your first foray into macro, I think you did quite well. Good color, good comps, nicely focused by and large. What's not to like?

The white spider may have been shot without flash, but the light is quite dramatic side lighting, with long shadows. Do you like the dramatic lighting or not?
    I do, but it made post processing difficult, because in order to get that, I had to skew the colors of the spider somewhat (in some he turned out orangish, others green, depending on angle and how close he was to the leaf).

But those were taken at 7:30 or 8:30 while you were photographing the sun. So yeah, the sidelighting was rough. But I liked them. For my first time, no flash, and trying to drop the aperture and get close, I think they turned out well.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    Great job for a first time! You've definitely got a big advantage of having a very knowledgeable and helpful dad. :D

That spider is fascinating. I have never seen one like that, and from what it sounds like his/her coloring makes it very hard to photograph.
    edited July 25, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Great job for a first time! You've definitely got a big advantage of having a very knowledgeable and helpful dad. :D

That spider is fascinating. I have never seen one like that, and from what it sounds like his/her coloring makes it very hard to photograph.
    Photograph? I don't even know how to describe him :) I still don't know how I even saw him, he was really small. About the size of a pea, but with 7 legs (if you look close you can see a red stub/scar where his leg used to be).

He seemed very "translucent". His legs were almost clear, and his body was clear too. His Abdomen was a chalky white. His eyes were the creepiest though because they had red dots in the middle.

(I'm not exactly a big fan of spiders. Horseshoe Crabs are cool, ticks are irritating, Scorpions are cool but they scare the piss out of me with that poison. But spiders? Spiders are just disgusting).

He also was a very patient subject, the only times he moved was when I turned the leaf over to get him in the sun. He would crawl to the shaded side very slowly. But he was very patient. Although he did hoist himself into a psuedo attack position if I got to close sometimes :)
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    edited July 26, 2007
    I'm just starting to do some macros too. You did a great job! thumb.gif