Options

extender, first time, with 300mmL

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited February 24, 2005 in Other Cool Shots
This is the first time with the extender. I just took it out in the back yard, so I have pieces of dogs again, a bird and a photo of bill. Some of them are straight from RAW and a few I worked up a bit g

16154012-L.jpg

16154536-L.jpg

Above is the male, Skye, my boy. He is a red and white Corgi, Pembroke.
Below is Merry Chapel, she is a tri-color Pembroke Corgi. Her eyes are rimmed with black, like Cleopatra and the pupil is darker than Skye's. The rim of his eye is reddish like his coat.

16154563-L.jpg

16154550-L.jpg

There was a little bird up in the tree. This is straight from RAW, don't think I did a thing to it. I have no idea what kind of a bird it is, but I was glad just to get it. The extender is not difficult to handle. It is 1.4X.

16154545-L.jpg

And this is Bill, he looks worried. I think he was waiting to eat. He is working tonight.

16154008-L.jpg

It is a little slower to focus with the extender. The insert said it would be, but once it focuses, I think it does a great job.

Now I just have to go find some big game.

g

16154542-L.jpg
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2005
    A 420mm portrait lens...imagine that! good stuff, g.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 20, 2005
    Wow Ginger, these are great. cute doggy. what's an extender? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 20, 2005
    fish wrote:
    A 420mm portrait lens...imagine that! good stuff, g.
    yeah, and effectively 672mm sounds even better :D

that birdie is pretty darn sharp, primes are great, eh? thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Great job, Ginger!
    You seem to be having a great time with that 300mm prime lens! Is that the f/4 or the f/2.8 version?

Anyways, great shots... All of them very very sharp, it's amazing!

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Take care!

-- thiago
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    You seem to be having a great time with that 300mm prime lens! Is that the f/4 or the f/2.8 version?

Anyways, great shots... All of them very very sharp, it's amazing!

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Take care!

-- thiago
    thnaks ginger.. great shots.. I'm glad you like your new lens.. looks like a beauty. Doggies, bill and bird all great.. I like the first dog best.. the other are a tad blown out in places.. bill is great, nice eye expression and the bird is great.. specially from raw.. I have a question. why did you leave it raw (even tho it looks great)...
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Ginger,
    That bird is great! I find it amazing that the lens focused on the bird and not one of the branches. My camera would have focused on the first branch it saw. I always have trouble with that. I guess I need an SLR. My camera frustrates me sometimes.

I can see why you stopped with the RAW. I don't know what else you would want to do to that shot. Maybe play around and see what you get. But, it looks great as is.

You're giving me lens envy, really bad! Great shots! thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited February 20, 2005
    Oh yeah! Nice prime and an extender are the cat's meow!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    REECEPHOTOREECEPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    Looks like your having a load of fun with your new toys..........

enjoy them for us who are to broke to buy any new one at the moment.thumb.gif
    It's not the speed that'll kill ya
    It's the sudden stops!
    http://reecephoto.smugmug.com
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jepg
    src="http//www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jpg">
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    not only the bird is RAW. There was only one photo i worked on, really, and I don't remember why.............oh yes, there was a bad shadow across MC's face.

I left the bird RAW, because I didn't know what to do with it, didn't have any plans with it, etc. It was practice, and I was sharing.

MC is the first dog, I think, thought it was Skye, but it does have the black ringing around the eyes. She is more shaded. I get very confused on blown out, I guess I like blown out in some places where it shows the effects of light.

The more things, like RAW, CS, etc, we get to be able to do things to photos the more confused I get. I can do them saturated, not saturated, realistic, contrasty, desaturated............... well you get the idea. I just noticed it about the last month. I do as little as possible, almost always. But the opportunities, how many versions of each photo we could make.

When my only direction is to please you all and get a gazillion compliments, I get really confused, always cover my A** on the blown areas, etc. Now on the man in people, with the dog, in the boat, etc. That was with the long lens. I probably only saturated him a bit. Yes, I did, on the first one of him, I went to selected colors and fixed up a blown area of the boat, I don't think I needed to on this one, IMO. So it would have been saturation and USM, total. That was the long lens. I took a bunch. If I knew where he is today, I would take more. That was so frustrating. One of the few times I see people and it was one day too early.

I used the long lens yesterday, too. Am only using the two new lenses. I don't want to use my old lenses. Decided I need a 70-200 for a filler, could sure use it today.

On the wide lens, which I, of course, used most yesterday. I started at 200 ISO, then realized that I could go to 1600 ISO, did that and started getting photos again inside, then that didn't work anymore, went to the built in flash. Have been having trouble with that being slow. Read the book, found out why and went to shutter priority. I was quite happy.

Now, Lynn, you have all the other lenses I need, I could send you my address............ do you have people you could send, too? For this challenge.
    Aren't these lenses neat? Now what would you have done with the anonymous bird shot?

Snappy, the lens, that dog did hunt. I could lock it on the bird, but I got confused, so when it found the bird, rather than a branch, I snapped. To get it to refocus on the bird, instead of a branch, I moved it around, preferably to something about the same distance as the bird.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    Hey Gin!
    Ginger_55 wrote:
    16154550-L.jpg
    I REALLY like this photo! The sharpness and the very dark eye... bowdown.gif especially the colour rendition is great! I think you have shown a very appealing portrait in which you give the impression of a very sweet and loyal fellow being. Photography at a high level in my opinion clap.gif
    Good on ya Girl mwink.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl