Swimming and Mountain Biking (Dirt Jump)

roaming oregonroaming oregon Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited August 31, 2007 in Sports
Here are a couple of recent sports photos- comments appreciated...

Recent Swim Meet
175739911-L.jpg

Recent session at the DJ's
170614875-L.jpg

Comments

• sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    I really like the bike shot! I think the only thing that would make the pool shot better would be if you shot it from the other end of the pool so the swimmers face is not in shadow...
  • roaming oregonroaming oregon Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    I really like the bike shot! I think the only thing that would make the pool shot better would be if you shot it from the other end of the pool so the swimmers face is not in shadow...

Thanks on the bike shot- I went without any flash and like it- just some comments from friends are that it needed fill to brighten his face- I think it would have blown out the sky...

I agree on the swim shot- I had to resort to shooting either from the side or where I was due to the timers on the other side. I compensated by using a little fill flash some of the time (don't remember If I did on this shot) and blowing out the background- I'm just looking to see what others thought.
  • Katie BethKatie Beth Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Nice shots. I like the swimmer. I did a photofundraiser this summer for my daughters' swim team and had a blast.

I know what you mean about positioning. You have to park yourself where ever you can and with the officials, coaches and swimmers needing their space it makes it hard to find a good place at times. Even though the swimmer's face is dark it still has detail. I've used the dodge tool set at around 11% and "midtones" in Photoshop Elements 5.0 for lightening up the faces and have had good results.

I wish there were more swim pics posted. I'm going to post some when I get time. There doesn't seem to be much interest in competitive swimming pics on forums and not many posted in online galleries. I don't know if that means I have a great chance at making some money in stock photography or marketing to swim clubs or what, guess I'll find out. I certainly sold a lot of photos to the parents on the team this year!

Great biker shot too!
    Katie
  • roaming oregonroaming oregon Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    Thanks,
    I shoot raw and make minor adjustments in Canon DPP. I never bother with Photoshop... I don't have the time or energy- I'd rather just shot more pictures till I get it right.

I shoot for our club/team when I'm there- it's mostly as a service and learning experience. The prices are low and some of what I make goes back to the kids. The benefit is that it drives some traffic and opens some doors. The officials are starting to know me and the parents generally give me free reign now- so the last couple of meets I've had full access (except for J.O's)

I haven't figured out why more don't post swimming shots. At meets there are always a ton of people shooting- but not much is shared. When we travel and the other club has hired pros I always look up the galleries and rarely see anything really special- so if you are organized, halfway decent and know the right people I think there is oppurtunity.

I have lots of photos that show the progression of my learning here:

http://www.jakespointofview.com/Sports/251484
  • Katie BethKatie Beth Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    I shoot for our club/team when I'm there- it's mostly as a service and learning experience. The prices are low and some of what I make goes back to the kids. The benefit is that it drives some traffic and opens some doors. The officials are starting to know me and the parents generally give me free reign now- so the last couple of meets I've had full access (except for J.O's)

I haven't figured out why more don't post swimming shots. At meets there are always a ton of people shooting- but not much is shared. When we travel and the other club has hired pros I always look up the galleries and rarely see anything really special- so if you are organized, halfway decent and know the right people I think there is oppurtunity.

That's what my fundraiser was like. I kept the prices low and almost all of the profits went to the club. It gave me experience and I picked up some paying jobs as a result of the exposure. At the meets I was able to move around more than other parents who were just shooting their own kids as the officials figured out I was the team photographer. I saw a couple of photographers that looked like pros shooting opposing team members but they didn't seem to be shooting the whole team. The parents and coaches were glad to have better pics to put in the paper for some free exposure. I wasn't that great in the beginning but by the end of the season I was doing some decent pics (at least as good as the good ones I've seen on the web). I'll have to have a look at your photos. I only have a few on my smugmug site that are accessible to the public The last few at the end of the gallery were from the beginning of the season.

http://katie-beth-photography.smugmug.com/gallery/3162670#189172219
    Katie