Should I upload large photos?

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited July 25, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Howdy! This is my first smugmug question hehe. I feel so new! :)

I am just uploading my pictures into smugmug and normally I edit my photo's for internet viewing and bring them from 3 or 4mb per picture down to 300kb and drop the size down to 780px wide. Should I be uploading the picture in its original size in case someone wants to purcahse it? And should I edit them down anymore? :)

Thanks!

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 25, 2007
    This is a question that gets asked a lot, it comes down to personal preference.

Personally, I always upload a full size jpg image, that way images are available for sale without having to upload another image...and you have an external full size back up of every image.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    Thanks. I was not looking forward to going back though all my images and getting the big ones but I think it is also a great idea and for the backup!

Thanks again.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Personally, I always upload a full size jpg image, that way images are available for sale without having to upload another image...and you have an external full size back up of every image.
    15524779-Ti.gif upload full-res images thumb.gif that way you have no problems when photos are ordered, you have a backup and there is no quality loss from resizing. Bandwidth and storage space with us are unlimited deal.gif