176955208-L-1.jpg

Any thoughts or feedback??
"The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion

Comments

• GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    LOVE #2. #1 would be funnier if he were in swim gear, esp with a surf board. #3 is gorgeous too, but more about the awesome sky to me.

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    Cool shots. I like number one as an entry, but...the top of the socks grab my eye. Is that good or bad? I'm a newbie, so I don't really know. (sigh)
    Growing with Dgrin

• dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    Number one with the title is great. Actually they're all good and seem right on the theme.
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    though i love your title for #1, #3 is catching my attention the most. just plain beautiful, and i think it fits the theme too.
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    I think #1 would be great, as mentioned earlier, if he was in swim gear. Also, perhaps holding a steak or something. But maybe that's a bit too camp.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    OK, I'm ready to just throw in the towel now.

I really like all three. #1 is my fav due to the human interest aspect + the great title. I like the subject smack dab in the center for this shot. The socks don't bother me.

Swim trunks and a surf board would be funny (I had a similar idea: My son standing with his board and wet suit overlooking rolling waves of green hills, but that type of terrain is a 350 mile drive).

Artistically I like 3 best.

2 cents FWIW

paul
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    Thank you all for the comments-

It is actually me in the first shot. I was in New Mexico on business when I took the shot- didn't even know about the theme until I got back in Arizona today.

So no reshoot unfortunatly :cry

Aaron Newman

• TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    I absolutely love #2, the curvatures of the rippling sand, the lonley stalks of grass, and the scene just seems to go on forever to me....

Number 1, is awesome as well, love the title with the pic..

NICE job on all three.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited July 25, 2007
    OK, I'm ready to just throw in the towel now.

I really like all three. #1 is my fav due to the human interest aspect + the great title. I like the subject smack dab in the center for this shot. The socks don't bother me.

Swim trunks and a surf board would be funny (I had a similar idea: My son standing with his board and wet suit overlooking rolling waves of green hills, but that type of terrain is a 350 mile drive).

2 cents FWIW

paul

Thanks Paul- I wish I could reshoot actually based on the feedback.

I am now home and those dunes are 420 miles from me. Don't think I am going to make it back. I guess I could head to Mexico or California this weekend though :D

Aaron Newman

• Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    Wow
    Looks like this round is off to a great start. I like all three as well, in order of #1, #3 and then #2.

I suppose I am in the minority, but I believe in #1 if the subject was dressed in swim gear it would go from humorous to silly. I think the title makes it funny, but it's actually believable that a person could find themselves in a desert looking for water, but I can't really buy a scuba diver wandering around in a desert. But maybe I'm taking it too seriously rolleyes1.gif

Anyway, great job! And as Paul said, I guess there's always spots 2-X to look forward to.
  • NanaMoNanaMo Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    Fantastic work! clap.gifclap

Do agree that the swim gear would be perfect.....how good are you at PhotoShop headscratch.gifne_nau.gif ?? He, he....rolleyes1.gif

Good luck on your decision....great photos!

Maureen
  • DebboggyDebboggy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    Each of these is very good. The horizons on the first two look slanted to me, although your waist in the first looks level, so I don't know if they need rotating or not. ne_nau.gif

I'd say the last one works the best visually, mostly because of the color of the sky. It is much deeper blue in this one compared to the others and adds interest where in the other shots, the sky color is too close to the sand, making them less dramatic.
    ~Debbie~
    Canon Rebel XTi w/18-55mm kit lens
    28-105mm
    100-300mm USM
    100mm macro USM & Kenko extension tubes
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    Instead of a surfboard
    Why not just some beach gear, maybe a towel, beach chair? and composite yourself back in... it would be taken within the time limit. I love the concept of #1
  • JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    Hi, I like all three , but I especially like #1. I think I see a sensor spot up over your head to the left. I'm sure you know it's an easy fix in PS.
    Jill
    Jill
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    Although I like all three shots, when I think of turf, I'm thinking grass. ne_nau.gif
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    I've been coming back to this almost since you first posted it. There is just something about that sky and the light in #1 that can't be repeated, but the person there looks like what he is, a traveler or hiker looking at the dunes and the mountains. Without the title, I wouldn't connect it to the "surf." If you can put surfer in it, liked suggested, and I don't know how, It'd completely change the first impression. You'd have to be careful to put that same soft light on your pasted-in subject..... Remember that Shea says he disregards the title until after looking at the photo, and I suspect that's really what folks do in their heads...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited July 26, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    I've been coming back to this almost since you first posted it. There is just something about that sky and the light in #1 that can't be repeated, but the person there looks like what he is, a traveler or hiker looking at the dunes and the mountains. Without the title, I wouldn't connect it to the "surf." If you can put surfer in it, liked suggested, and I don't know how, It'd completely change the first impression. You'd have to be careful to put that same soft light on your pasted-in subject..... Remember that Shea says he disregards the title until after looking at the photo, and I suspect that's really what folks do in their heads...

Mark- thanks for taking the time to comment and for your thoughts. I am not going to try and add in a surfer because I am not concerned with making the picture overtly "Surf" or "Turf". If i decide to go that route I will make a drive to some other dunes and do a reshoot.

As we all now the theme is very open to interpretation and the sand actually would represent turf since it is not of liquid form.

I am not sure if I will use any of these but I appreciate the comments that you and everyone have provided.

Aaron Newman

• HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    Well, you know it's a very good photo in and of itself, and doing that to it might just ruin it.

And me knows certainly that the theme is open to interpretation in all directions and dimensions!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 27, 2007
    Sweet shots, Aaron. Very nice.
    anwmn1 wrote:
    I am now home and those dunes are 420 miles from me.

How close are they to Bosque del Apache? Do we need to make another road trip? mwink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • S. HortonS. Horton Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    Good idea, nicely done! Good color, nice 'n sharp!

#1 I like a great deal.
    clap.gif
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    Ok, my take:

#1. Nice image, but not for the compettion. I agree with the other comments that if the guy was in swim gear with a surf-board, it could work in a comical way. At the moment, the image alone doesn't convey the message of the theme and it relies on the title. If the title wasn't there, it wouldn't have any real connection to the theme. On that basis, I think it's no good for the competition because the communication is still written and not conveyed visaually.

#2. For me, this is almost perfect and in my opinion it hits the theme well with the lone clump of grass. Only thing I would do would be to process out the trees at the upper right. They don't add anything to the message and, if anything, are a slight distraction so I think the image would be stronger with them gone.

#3 Again, good image, but for me, no real strong connection to the theme, so I would keep it, but not for this competition.

Hope that is useful.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    I love all of them, I too think the first would be so funny if he were wearing swim gear....
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    Hey Aaron,

You know, #3 is such an amazing shot, truly. I wouldn't just put it on my wall, I'd put it on 5 of my walls. "Low Tide" for a title should help to tie it in to the theme. :D

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6