Options

White Sands New Mexico *5 Pics*

anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
edited July 26, 2007 in Landscapes
After spending some time in Alamagordo NM I stopped off in White Sands National Monument

176953681-L-1.jpg

176954698-L-1.jpg

176955970-L-1.jpg

176958150-L-1.jpg

176956289-L-1.jpg

Others in my LPS Challenge Possibilities thread
"The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion

Comments

• Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    #1 is greatclap.gif

Also enjoyed seeing the othersthumb.gif
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    #2 is so ghostly and ethereal to me. I love it. thumb.gif

I also really like #4. The lighting is beautiful. Wonderful use of the sand as background.

You're making me regret not going back in April when I had the chance!
  • Options
    Grizzle6Grizzle6 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    These are beautiful. A location I would love to shoot...
    I feel as though they may be just a tad flat or underexposed, however. I'm thinking a simple check of your white point on your levels might bump up the contrast just a bit. Just a suggestion...
    It's all ball bearings these days...

www.adambarkerphotography.com
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    Aaron, as usual these scenes are great. I love the quality of the negative space in these and I'm sure it was even more enjoyable in person.

They look a little dark to me, as I am sure that the white sand was quite bright. My eyes crave a blinding experience. :D
  • Options
    Dusty SensibaDusty Sensiba Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    Exposure is hard at white sands...
    I think any brighter and the highlights will begin to blow out and lose detail.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the white sand is gypsum (sp?) and is the same material as sheetrock in your walls. It's not pure, bright white as you may expect.

I live about an hour away and go there a few times a year.

Good shots
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2007
    I think any brighter and the highlights will begin to blow out and lose detail.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the white sand is gypsum (sp?) and is the same material as sheetrock in your walls. It's not pure, bright white as you may expect.

I live about an hour away and go there a few times a year.

Good shots

Thanks Dusty- you beat me to it. :D

When shooting White Sands there were several challenging features-

1. White- Camera's have a hard time focusing on white subjects and the minute details that we can see with our eyes are often not picked up by the camera sensors.

2. When the sun was out there is no definition in the sand- even to your eyes. There were several occasions that I couldn't tell I was going to walk down a dune until I physically felt it with my legs. Your eyes hurt from trying to focus so much

3.. This is monsoon season in the Southwest so there are large thunderstorms that roll in each day. Lighting changed from bright sun which made shooting almost impossible to impending darkness from the storm as the sun was setting. I gave up about 45 min before actual sunset because of the storm when I saw that the sun was not going to break through the clouds anymore.

4. Terrain - it is actually a hard area to compose a picture. Especially when dealing with the light and the white.

5. Most of the shooting is done facing South or West which means shooting into the sun in the afternoon. To the East there are all kinds of people playing in the dunes. I didn't have enough time or water to walk the 4 mile loop which would have allowed me to shoot towards the east with light to my back

Here is an example of a brighter shot. Notice how the details are lost

176959522-L-1.jpg

Shot at F22, ISO 100, Exposure 1/10, at 14mm

This one was shot with sun to my back

176957050-L-1.jpg

Aaron Newman

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    There's still plenty of room for lightening and contrast in these images, IMO.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    Aaron, really great shots. I love the last one.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    Wonderful photos ! loved them all my fav are 1st 2
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    There's still plenty of room for lightening and contrast in these images, IMO.

Hey- that looks pretty good.

Can I send you all the images and have you work on them for me? :D

I haven't done much at all with these- so yes- there is work that can be done. Thanks for gratiously pointing that out rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Aaron Newman

• Options
    Grizzle6Grizzle6 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Hey- that looks pretty good.

Can I send you all the images and have you work on them for me? :D

I haven't done much at all with these- so yes- there is work that can be done. Thanks for gratiously pointing that out rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I did that same thing as well, but didn't really want to post it (not sure how you feel about people messing with your images). Just a simple setting of black and white points with your levels makes this image about ten times better. Simply hold down the alt/option key while moving your sliders. Move the sliders until you start to see any sort of light (or dark) parts of your image peeping through--these are your white and black points. Look at your image and make sure it looks natural--on occasion, you can take it too far, but most of the time it's quite representative of the beautiful scene you captured.
    It's all ball bearings these days...

www.adambarkerphotography.com