Options

Differing Expectations (Client v Photog)

stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
edited July 27, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
xxx

Comments

• Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    I think it would help if you posted some of the pics you are unhappy with in order to get other peoples opinions on them...

In any business situation the end product needs to meet the customer's expectations... If you communicated those expectations well enough in the beginning and the Photographer agreed they could meet them then the end product should stand on its own... Of course communication is very important... Did She know what you expected... Did she ask questions?

"I envisioned x minutes per product, with 1-2 posed shots followed by y number of shots captured as the model(s) used the product. Maybe 5-10 minutes per product with a few posed shots to showcase the product, and then 10-15 shots just following the models as they used the product (mostly in an attempt to get a cooperative baby or child expression)."

Was the end product worth the money spent?

Talk with her and ask if she was happy with the shoot... let her know how you fell about the images received... Is she willing to do a re-shoot?

If the shots are acceptable, just not spectacular then you may need to simply keep doing your own product shots...ne_nau.gif

Winston
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    Question
    Fresh out of school? Her first major shoot?

I'm sure she will evolve her times and methods as she gets more experience, it's quite a lot from you expecting her to perform "your" way with this being her very first major shoot.

You are lucky you got photos you liked. :-) Did you have any "storyboards" to show her specifying how you were hoping to use the photographs?

There are so many variables on a shoot like this -- what is preferred, head shots, medium shots, full body shots? Never mind getting the lighting and backgrounds right :-)

It also sounds like you wanted "action" shots of the models using your product. That's quite a tall order for someone "fresh out of school." I hope it was photography school :-)

This sounds like a learning experience for both of you... communication will make future shoots easier if you like her price and work.

If you think she'd be open to it, you might want to ask her how she thought the shoot went, what problems did she face, what would make the shoot easier so that both of you could get good results...
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    the shoot didn't go like you expected or envisioned, but did it go like you had agreed (either verbally or in writing?)

it's also tough for us to evaluate without some shots....we don't even know what "the product" is.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    I don't know where you are, or what the product is.... But I have always avoided this problem by being very organized and planning things out ahead of time. I always talk to me clients about their expectations and how they are looking for things to go and then we discuss and figure it out from there. Communication is key in life, no matter what you are doing.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    Stirfry, it sounds as if you had something very specific in mind that you wanted as an end result. Did you convey that to her, or show her examples that you wanted to mimick and the reason you wanted to mimick.( Sometimes doing the exact same thing is possible, but getting desire effect is)

Did you tell her this
    I envisioned x minutes per product, with 1-2 posed shots followed by y number of shots captured as the model(s) used the product. Maybe 5-10 minutes per product with a few posed shots to showcase the product, and then 10-15 shots just following the models as they used the product (mostly in an attempt to get a cooperative baby or child expression).

Sounds like you focus was more on action shots as they used the product and what she did was more posed shots.

If you didn't give me any direction, I could have probably done something very similar to what she did. Not knowing the "product" limits my answer of course. I guess it could be clothing, writing utensil, toy, etc (hopefully not adult toysrolleyes1.gif, jk)
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    headscratch.gif What was your shooting venue? Did the photographer need to supply any additional equipment (backgrounds, lighting, etc). Since this was the photographers first commercial job I'd suspect that he/she had very little equipment. It sounds as if the shoot was available light and more of a spontaneous rather than storyboarded or set-up situation. Again some examples of what you shot and how the photographer shot would help.
    bsvirginian.