#10 Leeds Castle

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
edited July 27, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here are three versions of the same image. They are all of Leeds Castle in Kent, England. Just wondering what your thoughts are on which of the three versions you all like best?

177331392-M.jpg

177331894-M.jpg

177332465-M.jpg

Comments

• PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    #3 for me.

#1 - too drab
    #2 - oversaturated
    #3 - just right

at least on my work monitor.

paul
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    #2 or #3 look good to me. I'm looking at them on my laptop and not sure about the saturation. The sky looks better on my monitor in #2. If the saturation is too high on the rest of the photo you could always mask out that treatment.
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    Photo critique aside, I'm not sure how it fits either side of the theme...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • latogalatoga Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    Comparing just the photos:
    • #1: not enough varing tones to make it interesting
    • #2: I like this best, the saturation really brought out the reeds in the foreground and the texture in the castle, helped to compensate for the less than ideal sky
    • #3: feels to washed out
    As far as submitting to the competition...this image just doesn't have the interest level to grab me. In the entry thread, I would just scroll right by...a more dramatic angle, better contrast or interest in the sky (think sunset or sunrise with killer clouds). Also, with this image, tighter cropping to get rid of the reeds you see on the left would help (they are distracting), but not enough for the competition.
    Greg A. Lato
    latoga photography | www.latogaphoto.com
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    .a more dramatic angle, better contrast or interest in the sky (think sunset or sunrise with killer clouds).

I agree. Can you photograph this again?
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    Well, the shots are good, but is the message really "surf or turf"?

If the theme of the competition was "something old or something new" then I could say you have shots that fit the theme, but I just can't see it in these.

I guess what I'm really saying is that the subject of the photos is the castle, not really the environment and there's no strong message of either surf or turf.

Hope that sharing that view is OK and take some comfort in the fact that my own photos are terrible, not because of my camera, but because I'm totally visually illiterate.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    Not really feeling the theme, but my vote is for #2 and it was nice seeing the castle again as I used to live pretty close to it and would visit from time to time. Hope you enjoyed your time there!