Options

Team photo

blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
edited February 24, 2005 in Finishing School
Need some help with the team photo I did, it was my first but the team is well pleased with the shot. They don't care that people are in the background but it does bother me. Can someone explain how to edit those people out? Maybe make the entire background black?

Here's the URL to the large
Team Photo

Comments

• Options
    edited February 20, 2005
    bump
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Clone them out. Looks like it should be pretty straightforward, since the background is simple. If you have any specific questions about how to clone, PM waxy. :D
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2005
    Yea I don't know how to clone.
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Yea I don't know how to clone.
    jds,

If you can hang on for a day I'll try to help you out with this one.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2005
    cletus wrote:
    jds,

If you can hang on for a day I'll try to help you out with this one.
    Yea no problem. Thanks
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    Ya, you should be able to clone. Can't wait to hear if Cletus has some good tips. I blow up the photo big time, and apply a middling size brush with a middling opacity. And I try to attack the clone area using difference points of origin, to avoid a pattern showing up when I zoom back out again.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    I cloned and painted the background (quick messy 5 min job) You could do much better with a little time. I sampled the background color with the eye dropper in PS CS and then used that color to paint the background. you could probably get a better edge using a mask also. Not sure if I like the dark background versus just cloning out the people tho.
    16246149-L.jpg
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2005
    Thanks, that looks good but I think they want to keep the background, the glass kinda add's to everything :)
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    jds,

Sorry it took me so long to get a response for you.

Here's what I came up with. I maybe spent 30 minutes working on this with about half of that time spent experimenting with ideas that I didn't use.
    16392391-L.jpg

My idea was to take a section of the blue background without people in it, make several copies of the section and then stitch the copies together. I could then use the stitched background to cover up any background sections that had people in them.

Since the background needed to be behind the players and coaches I selected all the people in the foreground using the laso tool. I then copied them onto a new layer. I then started placing the new background sections on a layer under the players and coaches.

Here is the basic background section I used:
    16392392-M.jpg

And here is the foreground selection (saved as a channel and then copied into a new file):
    16392393-L.jpg

Looking forward to hearing your comments!

If you have any questions be sure to let me know.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    Dang, nice work Cletus! thumb.gif I never would have thought of doing it that way. Actually, I'm not sure I could even after reading your description.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Dang, nice work Cletus! thumb.gif I never would have thought of doing it that way. Actually, I'm not sure I could even after reading your description.
    Ahhh, I thought that description might be a little rough. I had to rush it before heading out for dinner. I guess I should go back and touch it up.

The reason I used the approach I did was the fact that there really wasn't a good source for cloning the people out. All of the sections of blue background where either covered up by people in the foreground or there were obvious patterns that would stand out if they were cloned.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    Cletus looks great, but way over my head, I really need to learn PS CS better, I currently have a book called The Photoshop CS book by Scott Kelby so I'm hoping that will help me out some.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    Cletus looks great, but way over my head, I really need to learn PS CS better, I currently have a book called The Photoshop CS book by Scott Kelby so I'm hoping that will help me out some.
    Good book. I think you'll find it very helpful.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    cletus wrote:
    Good book. I think you'll find it very helpful.
    Thanks, I have so far learned to make my own action, which helps for when I do the hockey shots. clap.gif