LPS10 Concepts

HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
edited August 4, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Folks, this is an attempt at a more serious side of the theme. I have plenty of time to reshoot. I played in these "woods" as a kid, and now they're putting in a subdivision. When I got this I didn't have a tripod. I think either of these views actually looks into the sunset later in the day, so that might even help it look more offensive to the eye. I like the 2nd one best, as it actually shows the scarred turf with trees beyond. For those of you who don't live in the southeast, that's red clay there:

HLX_7229.jpg
HLX_7235.jpg
Mark
www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..

Comments

• k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    I like your idea for this, but for me this does not convey the story you told, with the story, it is more intrusive, harsh and sad, but just looking at the pictures, I feel as though I am looking at a photo that the construction company took to track the progress.... :)
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    Sorry Hoof... I just don't dig it... I don't even think a re-shoot later or earlier in the day would help... ne_nau.gif When I look at definitions of turf I see sod, grass, and so forth... I think this would be interpreted as turf removal... any way it just isn't interesting enough to have an impact for the contest...

Shoot a horse race... according to Wiki "turf" is a colloquialism for the world of horse-racingrolleyes1.gif

Winston
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    It is sad what they are doing to the forrest there....

I agree however with it not quite conveying. I think its missing something.
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    Only three data points and I'm convinced that what seemed like a moving idea yesterday doesn't hold mud today. :nah

Well anyway, consider that I did actually ask for an opinion, a rare event indeed!
    Mark
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    I understand what you are trying to convey, but I think with perhaps a different angle of capture, and more definition/texture to the land, with maybe some trees being pulled or dragged from the earth, it would come across stronger.

I usually like to work with a monopod, I find I am much more flexible with iit and the tripod is so constricting for me. I am actually going to make the "Chain Monopod" that was suggested to me by a professor.

Click On My Friend....
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    I understand what you are trying to convey, but I think with perhaps a different angle of capture, and more definition/texture to the land, with maybe some trees being pulled or dragged from the earth, it would come across stronger.

I agree...

For the story you are telling the photos do not give the same impression. If you can capture them cutting down the trees, chains wrapped around the tree as they are about to be drug away, or maybe even the edge of the trees against the area the construction is taking place, then the photos will fit your words with a greater impact.

I too agree that it may only loosely fit into the theme- but if the picture is good enough it can invoke emotion and that is what we are really after any ways, isn't it.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    Taking the risk of sounding too "Shayesque" here... could you try a 10:4 pano crop on the bottom one? With a title of something like "My old playground". Just an idea...

177553673-L.jpg
    edited July 27, 2007
    That pano crop added a lot of umph to this...Nice job..
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited July 27, 2007
    Nothing wrong with being "Shayesque." I've plenty of work sold and exhibited at even wider crops than 10:4 (2.5:1)... I just didn't see it in my original. fashiznitsngrins crop and title idea are interesting. Considering that the picture has to make an impact before the title, I hadn't put my title ideas out there on the table yet. BUT:
    ...Woods Once Played In... (sad title connected to me)
    ...Rape Revisited... (in-your-face title with political implication)

I'm also working on another concept that is a bit more vibrant and fun, and I might also find a pack of hooves with turf flying, but I'm trying to step outside of what I always do...headscratch.gif
    Mark
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    i like the colors and interesting textures in the lay of the torn-up land. maybe this would have had more impact for me without the heavy equipment, and less sky. but don't take my word for it - i haven't gotten too far this last quarter of challenges!

Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • DebboggyDebboggy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    How about getting down low, almost on dirt level and really getting some good detail out of those scares, but with the trees still in the background? Or how about Photoshoping in some ghostly (as in see through, not scary :D ) looking trees onto the red clay?ne_nau.gif
    ~Debbie~
    Canon Rebel XTi w/18-55mm kit lens
    28-105mm
    100-300mm USM
    100mm macro USM & Kenko extension tubes
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2007
    Theme
    By the way the theme for this contest was presented, I would be nervous about submitting a photo that took a heavy, political approach. Shay's post was in the "lets lighten up" attitude after a couple very charged contests and it has been pointed out that photos for the contest should be geared to the "client". The idea is great - I can certainly relate seeing a lot of my hometown wetlands being over developed in the name of progress - but if I'm not sure if it will be readily accepted by the judges.

It did surprise me, though. After viewing some of your incredible horse photos, I expected to see the lush, rolling hills of a horse farm. mwink.gif
    edited July 28, 2007
    Thanks, Travis! There you go telling me to pull my stick out of the pot!

As for Shay's comments on the theme, I didn't read at all that we were to keep it light, just that he thought this theme would allow for us to keep it light, if we wanted to do so! The theme is the theme, and if I have no problem trying to express whatever hits me, as it's pretty much proven that the theme is a very vague guideline, which I have come to accept.

Anyway, none of these photos I asked about to start this thread will be my entry. I liked the ideas of some of the responses, but they won't be used on these particular photos. I will only be sticking with this concept if I can find a way to better "tell the story," as are the instructions in another thread. Otherwise, I'm working on other concepts as well, including horse-centered (thanks for those comments) but I'm trying hard to stay away from subjects and techniques I use all the time.... We'll see!thumb.gif
    Mark
    edited July 28, 2007
    Here's one of my ideas that's a bit more tongue-in-cheek. Title ideas after impressions....

HLX_7246StraightCropped.jpg
    Mark
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2007
    You changed your avatar? Is that you?

Winston
    edited July 28, 2007
    It's me. Couldn't stand lookin' like Custard.
    Mark
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2007
    I like your idea for this, but for me this does not convey the story you told, with the story, it is more intrusive, harsh and sad, but just looking at the pictures, I feel as though I am looking at a photo that the construction company took to track the progress.... :)
    your photo tells a sad but true story --for the sake of $$$ we will destroy all wildlife areas for the erection of a few homes by the time my son is my age the only wildlife he will see is the book of my work I give him .As stated above no one looks at [what they call progess] as killing off slowly so a few can make big bucks .It is very hard to make a photo like that jump out at you but it does to me .
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2007
    Point well taken
    As for Shay's comments on the theme, I didn't read at all that we were to keep it light, just that he thought this theme would allow for us to keep it light, if we wanted to do so! The theme is the theme, and if I have no problem trying to express whatever hits me, as it's pretty much proven that the theme is a very vague guideline, which I have come to accept.

thumb.gif
    edited July 29, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    It's me. Couldn't stand lookin' like Custard.

ROTFLMAO....

I like your new avatar...
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2007
    "Custard"

ha ha ha ha ha hee hee hee hee! rolleyes1.gif
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
    edited July 30, 2007
    I've a busy week just thrust itself before me, and so that I don't run into the same "no connection available" problem as last time, I just went ahead to enter... If I get the opportunity for my more serious idea, I'll figure some way!
    Mark
  • dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    Here's one of my ideas that's a bit more tongue-in-cheek. Title ideas after impressions....

HLX_7246StraightCropped.jpg

Ha! Reminds me of my "kids" when I grill at home...

90826891-L.jpg
    edited August 2, 2007
    Shee Tsooooos...
    Mark
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    Amen
    k2butter wrote:

Yep
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]