Options

Into the Distance and Montana Sunsets (HDR)

jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
edited August 15, 2007 in Landscapes
Hi All,

I'm still slowly working my way through my pictures from my recent trip to Montana. Here's another one that I was pretty happy with:

I shot this while waiting for the sun to get lower for my next shot below. A bunch of storms had just blown through, and these beautiful clouds were left behind. The lighting was really tricky, with lots of range, so I decided to bracket my exposures with the intent of doing an HDR. This shot is made up of 5 pano frames, with each being a 5 exposure bracket. I combined each frame in Photomatix, then stitched the shot in Panorama Factory (Canon 30D, 20 mm prime lens, F16):

172540440-L.jpg

I was really starting to lose hope that I would get the sunset I was looking for. There were a lot of clouds in the way (the sun was behind me). However, just at the last minute, the sun burst through the low clouds behind me and lit up the cliffs ahead. This is Fort Benton, and the Missouri River Canyon (the river is back in the trees). This one is tough to appreciate without seeing it in full size. I think that if I have an opportunity to shoot this scene again, I'm going to find a spot down on the cayon floor to create a better composition and forground. This is a 12 vertical frame stiched pano stitched using Panorama Factory. Each frame of the pano is a 3 bracket exposure combined in Photomatix. (Canon 30D, Canon 28-135 IS lens, F16):

172539878-O.jpg

I thought I was done for the night, but I was wrong. When I came up out of the canyon, I saw the most amazing sunset ahead. The sun was shooting out and hitting a storm cloud far to the North. I only had a few minutes to find a place to pull off and shoot this. I wish I could have put together a better forground, but I didn't have time ((Canon 30D, Canon 20mm prime lens, F16):

172540428-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.

James

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    James, as usual...

Wow!!! eek7.gifclap.gif

That last one in particular is so unbelievably dramatic. And I'm looking at it on my work monitor which is pretty bad. I can't wait to see it on my cinema display at home!
  • Options
    DanteDante Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    All three great shots James! I really like #1 thumb.gif
    -Troy (Dante)
    edited July 27, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    James, as usual...

Wow!!! eek7.gifclap.gif

That last one in particular is so unbelievably dramatic. And I'm looking at it on my work monitor which is pretty bad. I can't wait to see it on my cinema display at home!

Thanks Schmoo! It was pretty amazing to see it in person. I stopped off on the side of the road so fast a police officer came up to see if I was ok. :D Hope it still looks good on the apple display!

James
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2007
    Dante wrote:
    All three great shots James! I really like #1 thumb.gif

Thanks Dante! I appreciate you stopping by. :D

James
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,275 moderator
    edited July 27, 2007
    Beautiful. That first shot is my favorite - it just took my breath away.

--- Denise
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
  • Options
    hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    The first one is my favorite - all spectacular, though!
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2007
    Thanks all for your comments.

James
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    Very rich shots. I like the first one best too. The rails grab the eyes and you just take off in the shot--HDR or not.
    I love Montana.
  • Options
    kriyababajikriyababaji Registered Users Posts: 295 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    Beautiful Shots!

I love the sky in the last one.

shane
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    Beautiful work
    loved them
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    chopskychopsky Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    Hey man

#1 is fantastic. And yeh, a grad nd filter would've done #3 some serious justice, but you already knew that ;)
    Currently Using:
    body: canon 400d
    lenses:
    50mm 1.8 & 10-22mm

Grant Shapiro Design & Photography
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,213 moderator
    edited August 4, 2007
    Really nice stuff, James. Are you using Pano Factory's new HDR stitching feature? When I last downloaded the update, I was surprised to discover it.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    Very rich shots. I like the first one best too. The rails grab the eyes and you just take off in the shot--HDR or not.
    I love Montana.

Thanks Miguel! I'm glad you enjoyed the visit. There is no place I like traveling to more than Montana in the summertime. Now winter, that is another story. ;-)

James
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    Beautiful Shots!

I love the sky in the last one.

shane

Thanks! It was pretty amazing to see in person.

James
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    Beautiful work
    loved them

Hi Awais,

Thanks for the comments! thumb.gif

James
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    chopsky wrote:
    Hey man

#1 is fantastic. And yeh, a grad nd filter would've done #3 some serious justice, but you already knew that ;)

Thanks! Yeah, you are right. One day, I am going to invest in a set of nice Cokin filters, but I haven't wanted to shell out the $$s for them yet. :D For now, I'll have to settle for multiple exposures and HDR compositions. thumb.gif

Thanks for the advice,

James
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Really nice stuff, James. Are you using Pano Factory's new HDR stitching feature? When I last downloaded the update, I was surprised to discover it.

Hi David,

No, I wasn't aware of the new version of PFactory (I was running 4.1). I've downloaded it now, though! thumb.gif Thanks for letting me know. That would have really helped here, as getting the same sized panos is a huge pain. I was creating an HDR of each frame, and then stitching them. This also causes problems with consistant luminosity throughout the image. Hopefully the new HDR feature will help.

James
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,213 moderator
    edited August 11, 2007
    jamesl wrote:
    Hi David,
    No, I wasn't aware of the new version of PFactory (I was running 4.1). I've downloaded it now, though! thumb.gif Thanks for letting me know. That would have really helped here, as getting the same sized panos is a huge pain. I was creating an HDR of each frame, and then stitching them. This also causes problems with consistant luminosity throughout the image. Hopefully the new HDR feature will help.
    James

I've done a couple panos with the new feature. I use PF in the manual mode with custom profiles for each lens and approx. focal length. I was stunned when PF stitched a 2nd version of a pano which originally took 4 minutes on a 2.4Ghz dual core in 1/10th the time. eek7.gif Wow.

Whatever stitching rules it retains in memory, it works great. Worth the upgrade price alone (free lol3.gif). I haven't DL'd PhotoMatrix yet, but based on what I've seen and read, it has many advantages to the HDR functionality in CS2 or CS3, if used with relative restraint to avoid garish images.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    StravStrav Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    You nailed that first shot - quite beatiful!
  • Options
    thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    Those shots are just too good, I am not worthy to view them...bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
  • Options
    MYSTICAMYSTICA Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    simply amazing!
    I like the pp too...
    bravo!
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    All beautiful shots but I love the lighting on #2
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    I've done a couple panos with the new feature. I use PF in the manual mode with custom profiles for each lens and approx. focal length. I was stunned when PF stitched a 2nd version of a pano which originally took 4 minutes on a 2.4Ghz dual core in 1/10th the time. eek7.gif Wow.

Whatever stitching rules it retains in memory, it works great. Worth the upgrade price alone (free lol3.gif). I haven't DL'd PhotoMatrix yet, but based on what I've seen and read, it has many advantages to the HDR functionality in CS2 or CS3, if used with relative restraint to avoid garish images.

Howdy David. I just used the new HDR feature yesterday, and it worked great! The interface into it was a little clunky, though, and took me a bit to figure it out. That may just be because I am slow, though. :D

I agree on the speed. Every release that I have moved up to (I've been using them for 4 or 5 years) has been noticably faster. Hopefully the trend continues.

I'm not a big fan of creating HDR images with photoshop. It's very picky about what it will and want combine. For example, it won't combine images created from one RAW file (at least I can't get it to work). Give Photomatix a try. You'll like it! thumb.gif

James
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2007
    Tom, Rosella, Patrick and Strav,

Thanks for the comments! Glad you all like the pictures. :D

Take care,

James