Options

Are there cameras without delays?

mroemroe Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited March 11, 2004 in Cameras
I presently own a Sony DSC-S75. It takes great pictures. But I'm missing a lot during sporting events. The delay in the shutter, from the time you press the button, till the actual picture is taken, is a little slow. For still shots of landscale or people standing still, it's not a problem. I'm interested in a faster responce. Wouldn't mind paying the higher dollar either. How about the Nikon Coolpix 5700. Is it any better. Or do I need to go even hhigh in cost?

Comments

• Options
    edited March 3, 2004
    So I would HAVE to go SLR? The Canon Coolpix 5700 WOULD have the delay then right? I take it that there not any for less than $1000?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2004
    Lag time is part of digitals ATM....it will eventually leave us but it may be some time....i would assume that there is a lot of money being poured into it as it will sell a lot of non-SLR digitals. Casio have a very fast one...QVR40..not up with SLR features or quality though but a fast shot taker.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2004
    Good to have you here, mroe. wave.gif How do you pronounce that, anyway? muuuh-rowe? :D

The delay you have exists in most consumer digital cameras. Therefore a fast shutter response is a prized item. I can't give you a list of consumer cams that have a fast trigger, but they do exist. Without doing an research myself, you might look at the Canon G5 (doubtful) the Sony f828 (possibly) not sure what Nikon consumer cam. If you really want to find out, read bunch of reviews in www.dpreview.com or www.stevesdigicams.com. They review most of the popular consumer cameras, and will mention a fast trigger.

Or, as Molson dog said, you could start throwing yer wallet around and buy a digital SLR camera body and some lenses. But now you're well over a grand, more like over two grand if you buy a really good lens. This hobby can suck your bank account dry. :cry

If you're shooting sports, and don't want to go much above a grand, you might want to start by finding a consumer camera with: 10x optical zoom, image stabilization, fast shutter response. A tough combination - I don't even know if such a camera exists.

Here are some of the cams I'd check out. Others should have more suggestions.

* Canon Powershot S1 IS
    10x optical zoom, 3 megapixel, image stabilized, fast lens, f3.1 at 380mm equivalent, an amazing $500.

* Sony DCS f828
    7x optical zoom, 8 megapixels, 2.3 frames per second burst up to 7 frames, fast lens f2.8 at 200mm equivalent, call it $1,000.

* Panasonic DMC-FZ10
    12 x optical zoom, image stabilization, 4 megapixel, very fast shutter response, a fast f2.8 at 420mm equivalent, burst of 4 frames per second up to 5 frames, call it $600.

* Minolta DiMAGE A1
    7x optical zoom, image stabilization, burst of 2.8 frames per second up to 3 frames (5 frames in RAW recording mode), a f3.5 at 200 mm equivalent, $800-$900 at a trustworthy retailer.

Whatever you do, you really should go to a store and try the cameras of choice for yourself. And definitely bone-up up on each camera's image quality issues.

Good luck - keep us abreast of how it goes - we want to learn from you as you go through this process. And post pics!!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2004
    Okay, thanks for all the input. I'm heading out to some camera stores today, and play with some will keep you posted. Kinda leaning toward the Canon EOS Rebel, SLR. Wife LOVES to take pictures at the kids sporting events and wants this baby, but I want to shop around a little today. Again, thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    mystic7mystic7 Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2004
    I'm not the person to ask about technical aspects of digital cameras but I do know that the FUJI S7000 has a much faster shutter release than the Nikon 5700, and it's currently selling for around $450-600 bucks. It's an excellent prosumer camera.

M7
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2004
    nod.gif

Top of my mind is that mroe's frustrations come from trying to shoot sports. To shoot sports well, you tend to need quick shutter response to capture the action, optical magnification to get close to the action, and stability because a magnified shot shows any lens movement at all.

If he gets a 300D, I imagine he'll still need a relatively expensive long lens, and either develop monpod skills or buy a lens with image stabilization. Gets expensive. That's why I veered towards consumer cams with big zooms and stabilized images.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2004
    Just got out the credit card. WOW! Sure blew $1400 in a hurry. But What beautiful shots. and............. IT'S FAST. Got the Canon EOS Rebel 300D. Wife's attending a sporting event this Saturday. Will let ya all know.
  • Options
    dakar92dakar92 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2004
    mroe wrote:
    Just got out the credit card. WOW! Sure blew $1400 in a hurry. But What beautiful shots. and............. IT'S FAST. Got the Canon EOS Rebel 300D. Wife's attending a sporting event this Saturday. Will let ya all know.
    Congratulations on your new camera, mroe. I'm sure you'll love it. Which lens or lenses did you get with it?
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2004
    Way to go, mroe. clap.gif Make sure you post some shots.
    Sid.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2004
    mroe wrote:
    So I would HAVE to go SLR? The Canon Coolpix 5700 WOULD have the delay then right? I take it that there not any for less than $1000?

the sony f828 has next to zero shutter lag, and has a really really fast af system. i'm really pleased with it, have been getting some really good action shots.

of course, a dslr will be even faster, have a bigger buffer, etc. but then you're talking a lot more money, all in with lenses etc.

just my 2c.

aw