Trying to tell a story? Include some context

Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
edited July 29, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
A photo can tell a story to be sure, but that story is created in the minds of the viewer based on what the photo is showing. So if you want to guide the viewer to a particular story that you have in mind, you need to leave visual clues, or context, as I like to call it.

A photo of a woman with a smile on her face could be interpreted in many ways by the viewer. If you want to guide the viewer into a certain direction, you could add the visual detail (context) of a shadow of a man (oh she is smiling at him), or perhaps she is holding some bug spray. What story do you get from that? What if instead she is in a country fair setting and a huge pumpkin is visible?

With the simple inclusion of one detail you can drastically change the plot and story line of the photo of the smiling woman. So if you have a story to tell, try to be creative in choosing the elements that make that story come to life, not just for you, but also an unrelated viewer of your photo.

Photography is all about effective story telling with the use of images. So use those images to build context around your photo. Your skill in communicating visually will grow by leaps and bounds if you do so.
Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
"Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    Excellent point, Shay!
    I may add: think of a short story, and then try to take your picture in a way that text is not needed deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • NanaMoNanaMo Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2007
    iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.giflust no wonder we all love "youse guys" ....wonderful advise and you help us grow by leaps and bounds!! thumb.gif

Thank you....I am sure the "dgrinners" will add more wonderful advice...no, I am not adding advice yet.....feel I am toooooo new but will work on it....and I have been the beneficiary of great advice on my entries (thanks to all of you who have helped me...)! mwink.gif

Maureen wings.gif
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2007
    It's a good point Shay, and I think it would be advisable to make the story obvious enough to stand on its own without needing to reference the given theme to make sense of it.

Charlie
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    It's a good point Shay, and I think it would be advisable to make the story obvious enough to stand on its own without needing to reference the given theme to make sense of it.

Charlie

Charlie, I wondered if you were a Kate Bush fan when I saw the "Cloudbusting" under your username. Greetings, fellow fan! clap.gif
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2007
    Felicia wrote:
    Charlie, I wondered if you were a Kate Bush fan when I saw the "Cloudbusting" under your username. Greetings, fellow fan! clap.gif

Hi,

Now I immediately know, without ever having met or spoken to you that you're an intelligent, thoughtful and wise soul, ah the beauty of the language of music.

Charlie
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    Hi,

Now I immediately know, without ever having met or spoken to you that you're an intelligent, thoughtful and wise soul, ah the beauty of the language of music.

Charlie

Thank you, kind sir! Back at 'cha! :D "These are the moments..."
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com