Bulk move & subcategorize?

suprflisuprfli Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited August 20, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I think this may be a feature request but after reading through the feature request thread I'm not sure. Here's an example of what I'd like to do...

My son is 1yr and 15mo old. We've taken photos since his birth and we have http://kristinaderek.smugmug.com/Jack. There are many photos and folders in his subdirectory. Now that he's a year old I'd like to clean up the directory easily and quckly by doing two things:
1) Create a directory like http://kristinaderek.smugmug.com/Jack/YearOne
2) Take all of the photo folders a year and younger and put them in "YearOne"

The end result would be that you click on "Jack" in our main directory and then you see "YearOne" which has all of the folders from the time he was born until he turned one. Also in the "Jack" directory you would see additional photo directories from year one to year two. From what I can tell, there doesn't seem to be a way to do 1 or 2. The subdirectories can only go 2 levels deep.

As an alternative, I was thinking of creating:
http://kristinaderek.smugmug.com/Jack and
http://kristinaderek.smugmug.com/JackYearOne

I would then move everything from his birth to first birthday into "JackYearOne." Again, I don't see an option to select all of the folders I want and bulk move them into another folder while keeping the same structure.

Is anything I'm typing make sense? :huh Thanks!! :wink

Comments

• richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2007
    Have you tried using subcategories?
    Add subcategories to your "Jack" category for each year, then move the galleries to the proper subcategory.
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photo

It would look something like this:

Category > Jack

Sub-Cat > 1st Year
    Gallery > July 2007 South Beach Trip
    Gallery > June 30-July 5th
    Gallery > July 10-14th

Sub-Cat > 2nd Year
    Gallery > new gallery 1
    Gallery > new gallery 2
    Gallery > new gallery 3

Sub-Cat > 3rd Year
    Gallery > new gallery 1
    Gallery > new gallery 2
    Gallery > new gallery 3
  • suprflisuprfli Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 28, 2007
    This is great! I think this will work. Now that I have everything in "Jack" and I have a sub-category called "Birth to 1yr" is there an easy way to select all of the galleries in "Jack" that I want to tag with "Birth to 1yr"? The only way I can figure out how to do that right now is by selecting every gallery(60+) and choosing to customize and then within customize selecting "Bith to 1yr" as the sub-category. I'd like ot bulk select 60 galleries and change all of their subcategories to "Birth to 1yr." I don't see a bulk selection option like that. Thanks again.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2007
    suprfli wrote:
    This is great! I think this will work. Now that I have everything in "Jack" and I have a sub-category called "Birth to 1yr" is there an easy way to select all of the galleries in "Jack" that I want to tag with "Birth to 1yr"? The only way I can figure out how to do that right now is by selecting every gallery(60+) and choosing to customize and then within customize selecting "Bith to 1yr" as the sub-category. I'd like ot bulk select 60 galleries and change all of their subcategories to "Birth to 1yr." I don't see a bulk selection option like that. Thanks again.
    SmugBrowser
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=47484
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited August 18, 2007
    Allen wrote:

Thanks for the reply! I have SmugBrowser and there seems to be a few little quirks but it's useful. One thing I noticed is that I can't CTRL+Click on multiple galleries. Ie, I want to choose 10 galleries, select properties and then change the subcategory for all of them. As an example, I have all of my son's first year photos that I want to change the subcategory to "Birth to 1yr." Right now I'm going through one by one and clicking on about 50 galleries and choosing properties to make that change.
  • papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    suprfli wrote:
    Thanks for the reply! I have SmugBrowser and there seems to be a few little quirks but it's useful. One thing I noticed is that I can't CTRL+Click on multiple galleries. Ie, I want to choose 10 galleries, select properties and then change the subcategory for all of them. As an example, I have all of my son's first year photos that I want to change the subcategory to "Birth to 1yr." Right now I'm going through one by one and clicking on about 50 galleries and choosing properties to make that change.

There's another option (to using sub-categories)...using KEYWORDS instead. If you keyworded the photo's of your little one's "YEAR1", "YEAR2", etc. you wouldn't have any problem finding them with the keyword search capability.

Creating a single gallery of them (after initially posting them to many different galleries) is a subject of much debate. Re-categorizing photos from multiple galleries, copying, moving, etc one-at-a-time is a very labor-intensive, time-consuming process at best.

"Someday" (date uncertain), SmugMug will almost certainly have VIRTUAL GALLERY capability...primarily because many of us have been asking for this capability for some time now.

Like you, I would like to be able to build a "collection" gallery by conducting a search across many galleries, and have the option to copy them en masse to make a new REAL gallery (since I might want to use different captions for individual photos in the REAL gallery than were used in the original galleries) or MOVE them from the original galleries to the "collection" gallery.
    edited August 20, 2007
    "Someday" (date uncertain), SmugMug will almost certainly have VIRTUAL GALLERY capability...primarily because many of us have been asking for this capability for some time now.

I've compared smugmug to the others out there and it's by far my favorite. However, many of the competitors, like Flickr, have this feature in a really nice Web 2.0 interface which lets you easily drag and drop photos into galleries. I wish we could get something like this. Right now, trying to keep photos organized is not an easy task.
  • papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    suprfli wrote:
    I've compared smugmug to the others out there and it's by far my favorite. However, many of the competitors, like Flickr, have this feature in a really nice Web 2.0 interface which lets you easily drag and drop photos into galleries. I wish we could get something like this. Right now, trying to keep photos organized is not an easy task.

I do, honestly, believe it's just a matter of time (before SmugMug leap-frogs the competition in this regard)...in the meantime I have come to the conclusion that a concerted effort to diligently keyword the images I upload to Smugmug is a better use of my time than creating lots and lots of subcategories.

I look at it this way (this is just my opinion...I'm not a programmer)...by employing a consistant/good keyword policy, and tying that in with a good search capability (which SmugMug has already), I'm anticipating that I'll be able to get the maximum benefit out of whatever SmugMug eventually comes up with (whether it's:
    • "vitual galleries", and/or
    • "duplicate this subset of images to make a new, real, gallery", and/or
    • "download this sub-set of images directly to your hard-drive", and/or
    • "buy a CD/DVD of this sub-set of images from SmugMug"
    (and I am hoping it's ALL of the above).

It seems to me they must already be "close" to having some or all of these desireable (IMHO) features since, with the current keyword and search capability, I can already pull almost any "sub-set" I can envision together from across my site...and can even buy some or all of the images in the sub-set.

"Renaming" the URL for the sub-set (instead of it being in "nickname/keyword/kw1-kw2-kw3-kwn" URL format) could, I suspect, provide a way to preserve the search results for conversion to a new gallery, or to download the sub-set, etc. Again, I'm not a programmer, so I could be off-base here...but I don't feel I'm so far off-base it's not worth mentioning.