Options

Finally got one I kind of like

FaschaFascha Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited February 23, 2005 in Sports
I'm a grad student at the University of California, Santa Barbara, and I'm one of the AD shooters too. Anyway I finally got a shot that I'm not too embarrassed to share.

My appologies for the watermark. I'm able to post these only by the good graces of the AD's NCAA compliance officer, and his word is law.

16163652-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Great shot, Fascha! Great action and expression, and the color looks perfect. What's your setup like, and what setting did you use? Was this at UCSB? I'm guessing you used the strobes? Once again beautiful shot, it should be on the cover of something.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 20, 2005
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2005
    gregneil wrote:
    Great shot, Fascha! Great action and expression, and the color looks perfect. What's your setup like, and what setting did you use? Was this at UCSB? I'm guessing you used the strobes? Once again beautiful shot, it should be on the cover of something.
    Thanks much - I'm very glad you like it.

Yes, this was taken at the UCSB Thunderdome last night (19th) vs the Cal State Northridge Matadors. This shot was taken with a D20 and a 24-70 2.8L If I remember correctly, I was at 1/250 and 4.5 or 5. I am using strobes, but they aren't the greatest, and I don't get enough time with them to be completely comfortable because everyone wants to use them. This was actually the first game I can remember when I was able to shoot the whole game strobed.

Other UCSB sports here if you're interested:

http://fascha.smugmug.com/Sports
  • Options
    KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Great shot
    You most definitely caught the moment with this one. Great shot! I guess if it means staying in good graces with the AD and the NCAA, we can overlook the watermark.

Good work.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    What's "AD"?

It's this part of the image that makes it, imho. The contrast against the black background is really really nice.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    fish wrote:
    What's "AD"?

athletic director.
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    I like the Thunderdome. I was there a couple weeks ago taking shots of my brother when Utah State came to play. Come to think of it, I saw a girl on the baseline shooting a D20 at that game. Come to think of it, here's a picture with my brother in the background from your smugmug site! :)

I almost went up and said Hi to you, but was afraid I'd get laughed at for trying to take sports pictures with my DRebel - I was in the front row behind the Utah State bench. I keep thinking I should talk to some of the other photographers at the games, but I feel so... amateurish. There were a gazillion photographers at the USU vs. Fullerton game. I have no idea why so many were there.

The internet is a small world!

Here's the shots I got from the UCSB game... Anyways, thanks for sharing your stuff. Stick around and share more with us!
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    andy wrote:
    athletic director.
    onya.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 22, 2005
    Very nice Fascha ^5
    Everyone else has done a good job giving you feedback on this shot. I like it too thumb.gif

I would love to use strobes one day. But I wonder if they help all that much, or if they are just another thing to worry about? I mean, if they hit the scene right they can really light it well. But, if they are off a bit, you get shadows that can cause problems. Since I've never used ceiling mounted strobes, I'd like to get your take on it. Are they helpful, or a pain to use?

Very good job on this one and thanks for sharing it. I'll be looking forward to more B-ball pics from you in the future ylsuper.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    Thunderdome
    gregneil wrote:
    I like the Thunderdome. I was there a couple weeks ago taking shots of my brother when Utah State came to play. Come to think of it, I saw a girl on the baseline shooting a D20 at that game. Come to think of it, here's a picture with my brother in the background from your smugmug site! :)

I almost went up and said Hi to you, but was afraid I'd get laughed at for trying to take sports pictures with my DRebel - I was in the front row behind the Utah State bench. I keep thinking I should talk to some of the other photographers at the games, but I feel so... amateurish. There were a gazillion photographers at the USU vs. Fullerton game. I have no idea why so many were there.

The internet is a small world!

Here's the shots I got from the UCSB game... Anyways, thanks for sharing your stuff. Stick around and share more with us!

You absolutely should have come up and said hi. It would have been great to meet ya. Actually, I'm not a big fan of the Thunderdome (which is now neither a dome nor full of thunder). If you can imagine, the lighting is actually a lot better than it was last year. I haven't shot in many other gyms, but really, I don't think I've ever even been in one that had enough lighting for my taste :)
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    Everyone else has done a good job giving you feedback on this shot. I like it too thumb.gif

I would love to use strobes one day. But I wonder if they help all that much, or if they are just another thing to worry about? I mean, if they hit the scene right they can really light it well. But, if they are off a bit, you get shadows that can cause problems. Since I've never used ceiling mounted strobes, I'd like to get your take on it. Are they helpful, or a pain to use?

Very good job on this one and thanks for sharing it. I'll be looking forward to more B-ball pics from you in the future ylsuper.gif

Steve
    I guess I should have put all this in one post, but oh well...

The strobes and I have a very hot and cold relationship. I've never been completely happy with the colors you get with them, and what's worse is that there's about a half second recycle time. That means if there's a player coming up for a layup you'd better have your timing down perfectly and they better make the basket just like you think they will or else your one lit shot will be blown. Without the strobe, you can get a nice series of shots as they make the layup. Like you said, shadows are a problem too, especially for under the basket shots. the strobe will fire nicely and the basket will invariably cast a big dark patch right on the player's face. ick. Almost as annoying as the ref that stands in front of you for an entire half.

The big upside is speed. Without the strobe I shoot 400 or 800 ISO. With it I shoot 100. I really like 100.

On other thing to think about if you want to use strobes is instalation. I'm lucky in that I get to use the house strobes, but here's some info on installation
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/news_story.html?id=81

I still don't know how folks shot sports before digital film.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 23, 2005
    half second recycle times! wow, i'm amazed you get anything at all! Nice work! I shot one UMass Women's bball game, not my cup 'o tea, but I got a lot of appreciation for those who do it regularly.

thumb.gif

Curious, Winger and I (she'll chime in any second) have been wondering if they'd let us use a flash (bounced) for bball games. We're guessing no for the big shot men, but maybe the women where we were the only photogs? How bout for you? Is that a no-no?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]