LPS#10 Possibilities

Xia_KeXia_Ke Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited July 30, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Not quite sure of the direction I want to go for this round. I have lots of ideas swimming through my head. Here's a couple shots I've liked so far. They both could use a little final editing/clean up but, otherwise what do you guys think?

"We All Live In A Yellow... Kayak"
DSC_9707.jpg

"The Way Life Should Be"
(As a side note, the title for this is the slogan for the state I live in, Maine. This is the type of scene I always picture when thinking of the slogan. Just running around on the rocks as a kid.)
DSC_9753.jpg
Aaron Lehoux

My Gallery

"Challenge yourself! You will have days of discouragement and days of success, but the only way to fail, is to quit!" - Emily (Greensquared)

Comments

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2007
    I like both photos but prefer #1 for the challenge. Have you considered cropping to a 10x4 pano (I think that is Shay's magic ration???). That would mean giving up the line of the horizon, but I think that if you did that, the kayak would be larger in the frame and the drama of it being out in the vast open waters would still be there. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck!

Virginia

Email
  • Xia_KeXia_Ke Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2007
    Thank you very much for the input Virginia :D I've actually been playing with "Shay's Pano" quite a bit lately. I tried it with the kayak shot but, it just seemed to lose something without the horizon ne_nau.gif Here's another shot for the turf side that I did use the 10 x 4 crop for:

If Pennywise Drove A Tractor
    DSC_9660.jpg
    Aaron Lehoux

My Gallery

"Challenge yourself! You will have days of discouragement and days of success, but the only way to fail, is to quit!" - Emily (Greensquared)
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    i like #2 better. #1 has such a large amount of non-color surrounding that little bit of bright yellow that it doesn't do it for me. but in #2, i like the rocks, the climbers, and even the rainbow halo around the sun.
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
    edited July 30, 2007
    Thank you Tessa :) I've been playing around with both a bit and I'm now leaning towards the second one as well. However, I can't help but feel it needs just a hair more pop to it. Here's a couple other edits I've been working on. Getting any better?

DSC_9753-Edit.jpg

DSC_9753-Edit-2.jpg
    Aaron Lehoux

My Gallery

• GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    I like your reworked climbers one...either of them. :D

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    me too - I think the blue sky in the second one is best.
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Agree that #2 of the reworked is best, but both are great. Me, I love the tractor. iloveyou.gif Just marchin' to a different drummer as usual.

Virginia

Email
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    I like #1
    which means that you should probably go with #2. I agree with Virginia on the crop for #1. I think it would draw the focus even better while still maintaining the big ocean, small boat concept.

As for #2, the halo around the sun is awesome but the climbers on the rocks are distracting to me.
    edited July 30, 2007
    Thank you very much for the input everyone clap.gif

Luckily, living where I do, there's plenty of opportunity for shooting both sides of the theme. I'm still shooting away hoping one shot will slap me in the face as a definite. Here's a couple more, taken yesterday morning.

Easy Like Sunday Morning
    DSC_9806.jpg

Watching... Waiting
    DSC_9787.jpg
    Aaron Lehoux

My Gallery

• Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    I agree with Tessa on the blue sky climber pic being my favorite of all those listed here. Very nice!
    edited July 30, 2007
    Pat664422 wrote:
    I agree with Tessa on the blue sky climber pic being my favorite of all those listed here. Very nice!

Thanks Pat :D
    Aaron Lehoux

My Gallery

• HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Much better!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited July 30, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    Much better!

Thanks HoofClix :D Just curious, is that better as in the new shots I posted or better as in the re-edits of The Way Life Should Be?
    Aaron Lehoux

My Gallery

edited July 30, 2007
    Xia_Ke wrote:
    Thanks HoofClix :D Just curious, is that better as in the new shots I posted or better as in the re-edits of The Way Life Should Be?

Great question, and sorry for my vagueness! Actually, the answer is both..

Your latest posted photos in post #10 are just simply superior photographs compared to your original posts. They're much better composed, exposed, and finished in almost all aspects. I don't think that the "climbers" could go much further than you had taken it, and the brightness of the sky is very harsh on the eyes, and in fact distracts from the "surf" portion, even though it sillouettes the climbers. "Easy" is very pleasing to the eye, though I'm torn as to whether the folks in the chairs enhance or detract... "Watching" tells a bit of a story, and the bright left side is not an eyesore to me. ( is this the way it was, or is that vignetting from a polarizer?) Fits the theme rather well to me.

And of course, life is now "much better," like it should be, since I saw those two!
    Mark
    edited July 30, 2007
    Thanks for the clarification :D The lighting while shooting these was pretty harsh. Bright sunshine and hazy air. No polarizer on "watching". I think it was just the product of shooting at an odd angle to the sun combined with no hood but, I kinda like how it turned out. Thanks again for your comments thumb.gif

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux

My Gallery

edited July 30, 2007
    Xia_Ke wrote:
    Thanks for the clarification :D The lighting while shooting these was pretty harsh. Bright sunshine and hazy air. No polarizer on "watching". I think it was just the product of shooting at an odd angle to the sun combined with no hood but, I kinda like how it turned out. Thanks again for your comments thumb.gif

Aaron

I do like how it turned out as well, kind of losing the border between hazy sky and the actual water.... I was just curious.
    Mark