stepping up to PhotoShop C3 - need Lightroom too?

macmacmacmac Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
edited July 30, 2007 in Finishing School
I have been shooting a Canon 30D for about 2 yrs now. I have been using Canon ZoomBrowzer for basic browzing and organization. I have been using Canon Digital Photo Professional for white balance, batch processing of RAW, etc and Corel PaintShop Pro for artistic processing.

I am planning to move up to Photoshop and was wondering if Lightroom is a good compliment to Photoshop or does Photoshop do all that is needed for workflow.

Thanks for you thoughts on this.
Joe

www.joemcdowellphotography.com
www.joemcdowellphotography.blogspot.com

Canon 30D, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF-S 10-20mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 III USM

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 29, 2007
    You don't need LR if you've got CS3. You might want it for those times a quick edit is all that's required or if you like the way it works for browsing.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • macmacmacmac Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2007
    Thanks for the reply. That may save me some $.

In addition to processing, Photoshop is good for organizing and classifing?
    Thanks.
    Joe

Canon 30D, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF-S 10-20mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 III USM
    edited July 29, 2007
    Photoshop has a tool called Bridge that is good at that. Some people prefer it to LR and others prefer tools like PhotoMechanic.
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2007
    macmac wrote:
    I have been shooting a Canon 30D for about 2 yrs now. I have been using Canon ZoomBrowzer for basic browzing and organization. I have been using Canon Digital Photo Professional for white balance, batch processing of RAW, etc and Corel PaintShop Pro for artistic processing.

I am planning to move up to Photoshop and was wondering if Lightroom is a good compliment to Photoshop or does Photoshop do all that is needed for workflow.

Thanks for you thoughts on this.

Conceivably, the addition of Lightroom would mean you could toss ZoomBrowser and DPP for LR. I don't use them so will not comment on those products. Photoshop by itself with Camera Raw (CR) and Bridge (a bit of a train wreck there) is still NOT Lightroom in terms of functionary. Bridge is a browser, Lightroom is a database. CR and LR share the same Raw processing pipeline. You can't print out of Bridge+CR, you can print wonderfully and easily out of LR. Bottom line is you need Photoshop period. But from there, ACR+Bridge doesn't equal Lightroom.

Play with the demo, see what you think. Prior to LR I was 100% Bridge+ACR. Now I don't use them at all. I'm about 80% Lightroom and 20% Photoshop.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
    edited July 29, 2007
    macmac wrote:
    In addition to processing, Photoshop is good for organizing and classifing?
    Thanks.

It can do that but as others have said, it isn't LR. LR has more capability in that regard. However, depending on what you'd like to do, LR might be a better choice.

Have you read the DAM Book? Take a gander through it (there is a review online, look in the "Books" section on the menu bar). It might help you understand what can be done and perhaps help with the decision.
    edited July 29, 2007
    The DAM book is a must read!
    Andrew Rodney
    edited July 30, 2007
    Thanks everyone. Looks like I want Photoshop plus something else for organization and classification....I will get the DAM book and read it first!
    Joe

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    When you get Photoshop, use it and ACR and Bridge to see if you're perfectly comfortable with how those 3 work together for processing and organization. If you're happy, stop there. If you get frustrated by the constant shuffling between apps, get Lightroom. That's what it comes down to.

There are lots of people on both sides. Some think Lightroom is completely superfluous, and others think Lightroom is more efficient enough to be essential, even though it duplicates much of ACR/Bridge/Photoshop.
    edited July 30, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    When you get Photoshop, use it and ACR and Bridge to see if you're perfectly comfortable with how those 3 work together for processing and organization. If you're happy, stop there. If you get frustrated by the constant shuffling between apps, get Lightroom. That's what it comes down to.

I don't disagree a bit! I do want to add however that the one really huge benefits for me going from Bridge+CR to Lightroom that the former can't do, is keep track of all the images. I've now got a image database(s). Some like to use Bridge+Iview or some other database. More applications.
    Andrew Rodney
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Andrew, what is the train wreck aspect of Bridge that you are referring to?

I've recently started using it instead of LR to organize and browse, so I'm curious if it's something I haven't run into yet, or will never run into since I only use it for those two functions.
    edited July 30, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Andrew, what is the train wreck aspect of Bridge that you are referring to?.

Slow, buggy. Inconsistent with other Adobe app's (I vastly prefer the renaming options in Lightroom). I could fall in love with Bridge but not as its currently operating.
    Andrew Rodney
    edited July 30, 2007
    ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) ships with Photoshop CS3 - I assume?
    Joe

edited July 30, 2007
    macmac wrote:
    ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) ships with Photoshop CS3 - I assume?

Yes.
    Andrew Rodney