Options

Question about Vista

KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited September 10, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
How is Vista with Photoshop and Photoshop Elements? Do they work? Not sure how I feel about getting a new comp with Vista and then finding out my programs will not work with it.

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,210 moderator
    edited August 2, 2007
    bump.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    KvPhoto wrote:
    How is Vista with Photoshop and Photoshop Elements? Do they work? Not sure how I feel about getting a new comp with Vista and then finding out my programs will not work with it.

CS2, CS3, and Lightroom have worked fine for me under Vista - haven't tried Elements but I don't see why there would be a problem.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    CSwinton wrote:
    CS2, CS3, and Lightroom have worked fine for me under Vista - haven't tried Elements but I don't see why there would be a problem.

Which version of vista do you use (home, small office, pro....ultimate)???
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    CSwinton wrote:
    Man, I just got a scare seeing this title -just plunked down $$ for a new PC and of course Vista is the only option.umph.gif

I use Lightroom and PS 6, yes 6! Hopefully it all goes well!
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    Which version of vista do you use (home, small office, pro....ultimate)???

Vista Home Premium -- application compatability has been very good from all the reports I've seen (and my own experience) as long as you're not talking about the 64 bit version.
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    I am using Vista Ultimate and I have had no problems with CS3. I had a very minor configuration issue with Bridge (it wouldn't save one of my changes under preferences). I found a support page about it and was able to fix it.
  • Options
    rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    My opinion is to stay away from Vista if at all possible and stick with XP.
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    rdlugosz wrote:
    My opinion is to stay away from Vista if at all possible and stick with XP.

agreed.
    i know when i first tried vista business edition, adobe (cs2) bridge wouldn't work with it at all. not sure about elements and its organizer though. just stay away from vista. blah.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    The people who are using Vista every day seem to suggest it isn't a problem. Photoshop CS, Photoshop Elements, Paint Shop Pro, Lightroom - all have worked without a hitch for me on Vista Ultimate (home) and Vista Home Premium.

Everyone is entitled to opinions (and when it comes to software, we all have them) but facts must rule the day when evaluating software.

Many of the software programs that initially had compatibility problems with Vista have been updated by their respective manufacturers. Many people also forget about the "Run as" option in Vista where you can tell any program to run "as if" it were running on XP.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    Many people also forget about the "Run as" option in Vista where you can tell any program to run "as if" it were running on XP.
    Is that what you are doing with those programs, or are running them "straight up" on Vista?
  • Options
    rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    Everyone is entitled to opinions (and when it comes to software, we all have them) but facts must rule the day when evaluating software. ... Many people also forget about the "Run as" option in Vista where you can tell any program to run "as if" it were running on XP.
    While your experience may have been that there were no issues, mine (and that of many others) has been quite the opposite.

Also, while something may work on a new OS (and CS3 does actually work reasonably well once you enable XP compatibility mode) it doesn't mean that it's better. It is a fact, both from my experience and from respected reviewers, that Vista performance is slower than that of XP (even in compatibility mode):
    Windows Vista clearly is not a great new performer when it comes to executing single applications at maximum speed. ... No new Windows release has been able to offer more application performance than its predecessor. (Tom's Hardware Guide)
    That's the bottom line. Vista is modern and pretty, but if it's application stability and performance you're interested in XP is simply a better choice. I'm sure 5 years from now we'll be having the same discussion about Vista v. MS' new OS.
  • Options
    Artur C.Artur C. Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    KvPhoto wrote:

I've not had a problem running any photo apps on vista to include CS2/3.

The only problem I've experienced is the monitor calibraiton as far as where the color profiles are stored, vista want's to revert back to it's original (preset) profile, and it took some tweaking to get profiles loaded into the video card on startup. With that said, it crashes a lot, but does run all the necessary software. I use both but I prefer my Mac mwink.gif...
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    I personally hate Microsoft, and has always been leary about new stuff coming out from them. Back with win95, was nothing wrong with them, then to win98, loved them, until they start releasing XP, 2000, you name it.... and now Vista, which is pretty much a copy of what Mac OS looks like, not quiet as good as it appears to be. If you use your computer for design and photography, i would not be bothered with any Window platforms. Get yourself a Mac and be happy!! wings.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    I can't even count the number of threads on this forum that have started with someone asking a simple question about a MS product and they're taken over by the "MS is lousy" posters and the "get a Mac" posters.

Count me out of this one.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif Honestly, the "get-a-mac" fanboy comments are really, really tired.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with XP. It works just fine, and is perfectly capable of running any imaging app you care to use.
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif Honestly, the "get-a-mac" fanboy comments are really, really tired.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with XP. It works just fine, and is perfectly capable of running any imaging app you care to use.

amen.clap.gif
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    entropysedgeentropysedge Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007

15524779-Ti.gif Very true ... I've not had any problems with my windows-based machines
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    Just thought I'd throw in my experience. I've been using Vista exclusivley now for about 6 months (Ultimate) and have only had a problem here or there with a couple of games. As far as my everyday photography stuff, and regular computer things go I have had 0 problems. I personally like Vista a lot better than I did XP.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    Katie BethKatie Beth Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    I have Vista Home Premium and had to upgrade from PSE4 to PSE5 due to compatability issues. I read somewhere that Adobe was not going to provide updates / patches to allow you to use the older versions of PS Elements (same with the pro version) to make them compatible with Vista...good way to get you to upgrade huh!

I've loved having Vista, fewer problems, runs great. I love the readyboost aspect; I have a 4gb SD card inserted in my laptop's memory card slot and I can see a definite improvement.

Having PSE5 is nice because it has the built-in tool in the organizer to upload photos to Smugmug (PSE4 didn't have that).

katie-beth-photography.smugmug.com

My equipment
    Rebel XTi w/ Grip
    Canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 / Canon 70-200 f/2.8
    4gb CF
    Katie
  • Options
    FroggyFroggy Registered Users Posts: 610 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    I just purchased a new Dell XPS with Vista premium, at first I was leary about switching from XP to Vista.

I can honestly say that after using Visa for a month now it's hard to go back to XP.

I have two machines side by side, the Vista machine runs Elements 5.0 and CS2, I have absolutely no issues

Steve
    Looking for the weekend, see my images at the location below, please leave a comment if you like what you see, I would love to hear from you.:):

http://froggy.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2007
    I reported earlier that I have no problems with Vista Ultimate. Actually, I have ONE problem ... Quicktime (Apple). Wouldn't you know it ...

I downloaded a couple of the retouching tutorials from here and a couple of them work and the others just give me a fixed picture and audio. Works fine on my other machine. From what i can tell, it's not so much the Vista, but the Nvidia graphics drivers.

Anybody else having issues with Vista/Nvidia/quicktime?
  • Options
    HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2007
    digismile wrote:
    I reported earlier that I have no problems with Vista Ultimate. Actually, I have ONE problem ... Quicktime (Apple). Wouldn't you know it ...

I downloaded a couple of the retouching tutorials from here and a couple of them work and the others just give me a fixed picture and audio. Works fine on my other machine. From what i can tell, it's not so much the Vista, but the Nvidia graphics drivers.

Anybody else having issues with Vista/Nvidia/quicktime?

Did you try downloading the Quicktime version that is shown as being for Vista? It's here .
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Get yourself a Mac and be happy!! wings.gif

Got a mac but I wasn't happy until I booted it as a Windows OS. :D

Seriously, my day job computer is now a MacBook running windows-- after seven years using a straight Mac, I'm stoked to finally be able to run Windows again!

Oh yeah, back to the OP-- I have a notebook at home with Vista and it runs CS3 just fine. No issues at all.

My main PC is still running XP, but I wouldn't hesitate to swap it to Vista if I had an extra software license.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    HarlanBear wrote:
    Did you try downloading the Quicktime version that is shown as being for Vista? It's here .

Yeah, I have. read lots of support threads too. The inconvenience is somewhat minor, as most quicktime videos do work, just not all, and it appears that it's due to issues with the Nvidia chipset/Vista/quicktime. I've tried every suggestion and (mostly) no joy.

It just happens that the few quicktime videos that I really want to watch right now are a bunch of retouching videos created by a local dgrinner. I have no idea why some of his videos play just fine and others have issues with the video (audio is fine). They seem fine on my wife's machine. Maybe they were created with different versions of Quicktime.

I just thought someone might have encountered this and knew of a fix/workaround.

No Worries,