Pig out of Water

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited July 31, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well this is even my first attempt at one of these LPS contest. It was much easier for me when there wasn't any major prize involved! I suppose I worry to much about win or lose sometimes and since I never really got close to winning one of the many many dgrin contest I thought for sure I wouldn't even have a chance in one of these! But then I thought, what kind of attitude is that? Grab the camera, have fun, think of new ideas...thats what its really all about. So heres my first attempt. Win or lose I had fun!

All images in this image were taken within the contest time. I bet the pig would have preffered Surf instead of Turf. It looks like hes getting cold feet. His story:

The Mystical Adventures of Jimmy the Pig

Jimmy the pig was free, he had run from his evil master and made it to the open fields of grass. What was that noise though? It was so loud and it smelled different. Not the beautiful smell of the forest but the smell of burning. He walked closer to the sound to find out where it was coming from and walked quietly into the thick of the bushes. When he emerged from the other side nothing was as he expected. A white board jutted out in front of him calling to his curiousity. He could see objects he had never witnessed in such grandeur. Buildings were no longer the size of the farm but grew to the sky and people walked everywhere with no grass in sight. He looked to his right and he could see the farmland he had just left but now it was so far away, behind him there were only stairs but not the bushes he had walked through before.
Jimmy sat for a few moments and looked down onto the ground. A young woman was looking into a beautiful stream of water, it was below him! Perhaps if he could get to it he could walk through as he did into this world and leave all of the scary and new noises behind. He put one foot forward, then the other three followed. Each step was an odd clack as he connected with the hard surface below him. He looked out over the abyss at the end and knew it was to far to jump. Suddenly an object floated into view, a yellow object that looked so soft and inviting it had to be there just for this moment! Jimmy leaned back and got ready, he knew he had only one chance to land on his target. And then.....

178577566-O.jpg

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    I see no photo... which is very sad to me because the title sounds so interesting. :cry
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Whoops external links. Doh! Should work now. :)

Btw Schmoo do you have link that shows the rest of your avatar? Your avatar is so mysterious to me! I wanna see the rest!
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    I think this is a fun concept, but there is so much going on in the image that I'm not sure what the focal point is supposed to be without the title. It's cool though, with so many "unreality" elements!

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

edited July 30, 2007
    I agree actually! I didn't like the original red part of the image that was behind though and felt it detracted even more!

So I added a story to the picture heh. Does that help? rolleyes1.gif
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Not sure if you could reshoot this from a lower angle, placing the pig on the board more against the background photo up there, but leaving something of the building in the photo...

Get rid of the border on the photo if you submit...deal.gif

And don't take anyone's advice on whether it fits the theme, as, well, that's just your call!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited July 30, 2007
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    Whoops external links. Doh! Should work now. :)

Btw Schmoo do you have link that shows the rest of your avatar? Your avatar is so mysterious to me! I wanna see the rest!
    I still couldn't see the image even after I wore out the refresh button. But I found it in your SM gallery. What a cute photo! I agree it's a bit too busy but I love the story behind it and I never would have thought that was a REAL pig. :D

Maybe if you were about 20 feet higher and looking down at him against the backdrop of the cobblestones to eliminate the buildings...? Hey, you're a climber, right?? mwink.gif

Hahah I am flattered by your curiosity! I hate photos of me (much more comfortable behind the camera) but here is the whole thing. Most self-portraits end up looking more like, this, however.
    edited July 30, 2007
    Believe me I looked at that area behind the pig and thought "Ya I could get up that no problem." The real problem is the cops! heh. I am not sure I want to tango with the Czech Police!

Thats a great portrait! I think my favorite part of the avatar was the tiny hair portion. Got me invisioning some really crazy hair ideas of what the portrait would be!
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    very funny & very imaginative! there is a lot going on in the photo, but it's an interesting subject!
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
    edited July 30, 2007
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    Believe me I looked at that area behind the pig and thought "Ya I could get up that no problem." The real problem is the cops! heh. I am not sure I want to tango with the Czech Police!

Thats a great portrait! I think my favorite part of the avatar was the tiny hair portion. Got me invisioning some really crazy hair ideas of what the portrait would be!
    Funny you say that.. I did have some crazy hair a few years ago. rolleyes1.gif

Having never tangled with the Czech police, I'll have to take your word for it. To me the concept of a frightened pig is pretty scary in and of itself! But I hope you enter the challenges, if not with this photo then other ones! I never seem to be able to juggle time + inspiration + themes. :)
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    This is a fun shot! I love the title Pig Out Of Water! There is so much to look at, I see something new each time I glance. At first I didn't even realize he was on a diving board...of all things! Diving where? Onto an umbrella!!! You can invent your own 'story' as you follow your eyes through the image. Lots of fun..........I would enter it! I would also crop some of the bottom off to bring all the elements closer to view and (as Hoofclix mentioned) don't forget to remove the border.
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    So surreal. I love it! :D

Technical things: it looks like there's an unblended line in the upper left where two portions of the background meet. Or it could be a wire. I couldn't tell. It was distracting, whatever it was. mwink.gif

In the upper right, under the outcrop of the building, it looks like some quick masking or paintbrushing still visible there. Or it could be clouds. Again, I couldn't tell, but it took me away from the picture. ne_nau.gif

Cool idea. thumb.gif
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Cute story, but in my minds eye, I just don't feel like it hits the theme too much...Sorry...CUTE PIG.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited July 30, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Funny you say that.. I did have some crazy hair a few years ago. rolleyes1.gif

Having never tangled with the Czech police, I'll have to take your word for it. To me the concept of a frightened pig is pretty scary in and of itself! But I hope you enter the challenges, if not with this photo then other ones! I never seem to be able to juggle time + inspiration + themes. :)

That is some great hair! heh. You should enter as well! Ive enjoyed a lot of your other photo's and don't worry about getting in the right theme or inspiration. Heck even if you put up a photo of a cat playing foosball you still get to enter! Who needs to win? Obviously not us if we don't even enter! ;)
    edited July 31, 2007
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    That is some great hair! heh. You should enter as well! Ive enjoyed a lot of your other photo's and don't worry about getting in the right theme or inspiration. Heck even if you put up a photo of a cat playing foosball you still get to enter! Who needs to win? Obviously not us if we don't even enter! ;)

True, that. I like the way you think, Mr Optimistic! :D

thumb.gifthumb
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    Hey, is that your picture on the big screen? mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"