LPS 10...I'm needing some special sauce

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited July 31, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I convinced the B&G to do this shot and yet now that I have it, I don't really like it. I like them, their expressions, the composition, but I cannot figure the color out. I've done some cloning to help the brown grass, and worked on their skin tones (she's tan, he's ruddy, argh!) but I think I'm making a mess. Any suggestions?

178566517-L.jpg
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• Xia_KeXia_Ke Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Great composition on this but, I agree, something needs to be done about the color. Any chance you could post the original for comparison?
    Aaron Lehoux

My Gallery

"Challenge yourself! You will have days of discouragement and days of success, but the only way to fail, is to quit!" - Emily (Greensquared)
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Xia_Ke wrote:
    Great composition on this but, I agree, something needs to be done about the color. Any chance you could post the original for comparison?

Certainly Aaron, thanks! This was white balanced off the white in his collar, other than that it is SOC + 0.33 exposure.

178566046-L.jpg
    Canon 5D MkI
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    My advice is look into the "selective color" which is an adjustment layer in PS. Keep in mind you can do different parts of the picture with different settings using masking
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited July 30, 2007
    Lynne, my 2 cents on this one would be to stop trying to fight the skin tones and to instead work with them. I did some playing with it in Lightroom and Photoshop and liked how it came out just working with the natural tones. Really a lovely shot thumb.gif
    Aaron Lehoux

My Gallery

"Challenge yourself! You will have days of discouragement and days of success, but the only way to fail, is to quit!" - Emily (Greensquared)
    edited July 30, 2007
    Xia_Ke wrote:
    Lynne, my 2 cents on this one would be to stop trying to fight the skin tones and to instead work with them. I did some playing with it in Lightroom and Photoshop and liked how it came out just working with the natural tones. Really a lovely shot thumb.gif

Huh, looks like I'll have to try both ends of the spectrum! Seems like the shot resonates enough to warrant some extra attention, so at least that is good.

Interesting advice Aaron, I will certainly try that route. I guess I just have it beat into my head to get the magenta out of the groom's face. I think it was so red because his collar was really tight laying down (oops, my fault, poor guy!)

Thanks for the input!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    I think it's simply a great shot, wishing that I'd had the sense to do something like that at the few weddings I've done recently. Was your second post also the uncropped original? At first I didn't like how he was chopped off at the neck. I do see that you made effort to keep the flowers in the frame, so in the end the way it is cropped provides great interest to me.

As for the theme, spin the wheel:headscratch.gifne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif:Dthumb.gifbowdown.giflol3.gifnod.gif
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited July 30, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Huh, looks like I'll have to try both ends of the spectrum! Seems like the shot resonates enough to warrant some extra attention, so at least that is good.

Most definitely! I'll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the final edit thumb.gif
    Aaron Lehoux

My Gallery

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Wonderful shot Lynne and I think it fits theme fine! Great to see some shots that aren't just landscapes. I'm on my lousy work monitor but the skin tones look pretty darn close as they are in the original. The grass color looks very natural, too, in the original, but appears more blue in your PS'd shot. Also looks a little darker in the shadow areas, but again that could just be my monitor. Great shot...don't stress over it. I use a very, very slight selective color (less magenta) sometimes and it works great.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Hey love the composition, but finding the skin tones are off here.

the tan skin has too much yellow tone,

I might suggest playing with your threshold first, and then doing some b and w curves, then play with your selective coloring.

I know this might sound nit picky, but the thing that got to me was the females armpit...Sorry..it as if you can see her deodorant and the armpit is not very flattering,
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited July 30, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    Hey love the composition, but finding the skin tones are off here.

the tan skin has too much yellow tone,

I might suggest playing with your threshold first, and then doing some b and w curves, then play with your selective coloring.

I know this might sound nit picky, but the thing that got to me was the females armpit...Sorry..it as if you can see her deodorant and the armpit is not very flattering,

Hey Donna thanks for commenting

when you say the skin tones are off, are you referring to the first (edited) or second (unedited) version? Also, I totally agree with you on the deodorant, in the edited version you can see I healed out a lot of the little white bits. I would definitely do this shot differently if (hopefully!) i get the chance to do it with another couple. A bride with even a hint of a double chin would look horrible in this shot.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    what a great idea! i'd be nervous to ask the bride to do that! and I think it's good for the challenge too. wish you the best with the colors!
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Hey Donna thanks for commenting

when you say the skin tones are off, are you referring to the first (edited) or second (unedited) version? Also, I totally agree with you on the deodorant, in the edited version you can see I healed out a lot of the little white bits. I would definitely do this shot differently if (hopefully!) i get the chance to do it with another couple. A bride with even a hint of a double chin would look horrible in this shot.

Hiya:

Was just looking and this is what I see:
    1st one looks like it has too much yellow tone
    2nd one looks like it has gray tone in the tan

I really like your composition...Very cool...and it seems that the B/G were a fun couple...not many brides I know would want to lay in the grass with their wedding dress on....Laughing.gif

Good Luck
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote